Baltimore/Johns Hopkins

Apr 21st, 2006, 01:20 PM
bellhouse

Baltimore/Johns Hopkins

My husband is going to Johns Hopkins for surgery, and I will be staying at (I think) a Best Western about a mile away. Does anyone know about nearby reasonably priced restaurants? Take out places? Cheap and quick food? Are there any markets/grocery stores in the area? I would like not to have to worry about a car, and I know the hotel has a shuttle to the hospital.

Apr 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM

I don't know anything about the Best Western, but if your plans are not set in stone, you might want to consider an alternative that I do have knowledge of.

The Radisson at Cross Keys is attached to a nice low-key shopping plaza that might suit your needs. I recall one restaurant was Donna's, which was very casual. They also have a shuttle to the Medical Center, and plus they offer a special rate for Medical Center patients and family that I think is around $89. It's located in a residential neighborhood.

Sending good wishes for your husband's surgery.
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:52 PM

bell:

I use to live in Baltimore in the late 1980s. I'd say 25th street and up or any area below Pennsylvania Station on Charles Street is safe area. On 33rd Street, not very far from the old Memorial Stadium there was a Dairy Fresh grocery store. Anyone can tell her if it is still there?
Apr 24th, 2006, 01:11 PM
bellhouse

Thanks so much to both of you. Johns Hopkins patient services had recommended the best Western because we could get a lsightly larger room with a sitting area, plus a small 'frig and microwave (we will be staying for serverl days after he gets out of the hospital before we head home). I'll look into the Radisson - see if they have something similiar.

Apr 24th, 2006, 04:38 PM

You really need to be careful with a hotel selection close to the hospital. The area immediately surrounding the hospital is not safe for a woman to be alone. My husband feels it is not safe for anyone. Where exactly is the Best Western?? I can't think of any near by. Whereas the Radisson is safe and lovely, it is 15 minutes away from the hospital at least. The Inner Harbor hotels are closer to the hospital and that area is much safer.
Apr 24th, 2006, 05:36 PM

I used to live in Bmore. A really nice and inexpensive restaurant near Johns Hopkins is Gertrude's at the Baltimore Museum of Art off of 33rd Street at Charles St. There are plenty of grocery stores in Charles Village. Just wear is this Best Western, sweetie darling? There are some really great restaurants in Bmore. Cabs are cheap. Don't limit yourself. You should treat yourself and go down to the Inner Harbor and have a fabulous mahi tuna sandwich at McCormick and Schmick's. You can sit outside and look at the lovely Patapsco River.
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:00 PM

My best friend e-mailed me to ask that I set you straight on where to stay (her fodor's password isn't working!). There are a lot of nice little boutique hotels in Fells Point and "name brands" at the Inner Harbour. None of these is more than a 10 minute cab ride from JHH.

DO NOT STAY in the area around the hospital. It would be kind to say that it's a transitional neighbourhood, but it hasn't gotten that nice yet.

Fells Point is a lovely waterfront area, and the Inner Harbour has lots of attractions and distractions. I am sure that a search for Baltimore Hotels would give you some better suggestions than the Best Western, which, I think, is at the trucker's travel plaza.
Apr 24th, 2006, 09:22 PM

I think fairfax is right. The only BW within a few miles of John Hopkins is the one at the Baltimore Travel Plaza (i.e. the large truck stop) adjacent to I-95 and I-895. There's absolutely no reason to stay there unless you're a trucker, really.

Please take the other advices and book somewhere else.
Apr 25th, 2006, 05:11 AM

And please do not get confused by the difference between Johns Hopkins HOSPITAL and Johns Hopkins UNIVERSITY. The Hospital is in a less than nice area, whereas the University is in a lovely part of the city. Polly Magoo refers to Gertrude's which is near the University not the Hospital.
Apr 25th, 2006, 05:20 AM

If that Best Western is indeed the one out near the highway, I agree that it's not particularly nice. However, I'm not sure what a good alternative would be in a similar price range closer to the hospital since once you get into the city hotels get way more expensive. If you don't have a car then I would say a shuttle is very important because as other's have said the neighborhood around the hospital is not safe.

As far as restaurants and a grocery store, there is a large Safeway in Canton, which is about a neighborhood away. There's a development called The Can Company that has a few restaurants. I know one of the bus lines goes from the hospital to this area. Actually, come to think of it, the Hopkins shuttle might run there, too. My husband and I used to live in Canton while he was in med school at Hopkins and I think he took the shuttle once in a while, but double check on that.
www.thecancompany.com

Also, there are some good cheap diners in Fells or Upper Fells Point like the Sip & Bite. Also in Fells Point more toward the Inner Harbor is a Whole Foods, which has a large selection of ready made foods and a salad bar in addition to groceries.

Best wishes to your husband. He will be in excellent hands!
Apr 25th, 2006, 11:39 AM

OOOOOOPPPPPPSS!!!! So sorry, I didn't see HOSPITAL, only Johns Hopkins. Yes, the hospital is not near the university. I would definitely not stay in that area.
Apr 25th, 2006, 11:42 AM

OMG!!!!!! Merry, I just read your post. I used to live on Boston Street in Canton. I used to buy all my groceries at that Safeway. There is a Starbuck's there too. Right across the parking lot is a great wine store that serves wine, beer, and pate!!! Canton is beautiful and very safe.
Apr 25th, 2006, 12:00 PM

My nine year old son had open-heart surgery in February at Hopkins, his third in his short life, so I am familiar with Hopkins and the vicinity. For the greatest hospital in the world, Hopkins has a shamefully horrible cafeteria which puts out nearly unedible food. Hopkins has an in-hospital Subway which is almost as bad as the cafeteria. There is a restaurant, I believe it is called the Tower Terrace, in-hospital but I have never eaten there- the lousy cafeteria does not give one confidence that Hopkins can produce anything of culinary value.

Hopkins is located in a poor neighborhood where the local schools have metal detectors at all entrances. Many street corners teems with loiterers even in the day time. Within walking distance of Hopkins is a Popeye's, but I would not venture to walk there at night. A Burger King is a half-mile west on Orleans Avenue.

Baltimore is far less congested than my old hometown of Washington, DC. This allows for quicker trips to places in Baltimore with good food. At Hopkins, you are a ten-to-fifteen minute ride from Fells Point and Little Italy with its restaurants, many bars and sandwich shops. Fifteen minutes away is trendy Federal Hill, one of the oldest neighborhoods in "Charm City", where there are several fine restaurants. My wife and I ate twice at the outstanding Mexican restaurant called The Blue Agave at Federal Hill as our son convalesced.
Apr 25th, 2006, 02:14 PM

I drove by the charming Best Western this morning, and remembered that it's also the home to the bus station. There are also a couple of fast food restaurants, too.

There are so many other places you could stay that are the same distance but in any number of much nicer locales.

Try hotels.com or any of the other big search engines to find someplace. If you've got any questions, just ask!
Apr 26th, 2006, 05:19 PM

OOPS! Baylady has informed me that the Best Western downtown, near Camden Yards, is the one you're talking about. It has the shuttle to JHH. It's in an okay neighbourhood, which is pretty well deserted after dark, and there's no real grocery store close by.
Apr 27th, 2006, 08:38 AM
bellhouse

I'm confused! This Best Western is on O'Donnall (spelling?) Street, bills itself as a conference center, and is 12 or so stories tall. Fairfax - is this what you referred to in your last message, the better one? We won't be all that long (arrive, mext two nights in the hospital, and then 3 nights before we can fly home). Baltimore is a fun city (we spent two days there last summer), but I'll be at the hospital and then I doubt Bill will want to party much! Plus, we have a friend there who has offered her services as chauffer/chef/etc. Although nearby restuarants would be nice, I will settle for a safe, inexpensive place with a shuttle that is close to the hospital. MerryTravel - thanks for the suggestion of The Can Company and the shuttle. GeorgeW - hope your son is progessing well> It's scarey enough if it's your husband, I can't imagine going through what you and your family must have. Best wishes. Thanks everyone!

Apr 27th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Yes, the 12-story one at 5625 O'Donnell is the one at the truck stop/bus station (aka Baltimore Travel Center).
Apr 27th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Dear bellhouse,
My son first had radical heart
surgery at age eleven days so I know
about the anxiety of waiting for a life-or-death surgery to be completed. My son's most recent surgery was a great success. He will probably not have another surgery until young adulthood. As you can imagine, my wife and I have only warm thoughts with regards to Johns Hopkins and his surgeon for all three surgeries, Dr. Duke Cameron. The only disappointing thing about Hopkins is its food, a shameful incongruity that should be alleviated. I am confident that your husband will do well at Hopkins but you are probably doomed to poor food for a short while, a small sacrifice to the greater goal of your husband's good health. Best wishes!
Apr 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM
MaureenB

I'd also suggest you look for a hotel further away from the Hospital, and not down by Camden Yards, for safety at night. The Radisson Cross Keys is in a nice area, and Donna's is a nice restaurant in its shopping area. Also, try the Doubletree Inn at the Colonnade. It's across from the Johns Hopkins University, so is in a pretty neighborhood with lots of little restaurants and markets. I believe the Doubletree also provides a free shuttle to the Hospital. And if the hotel doesn't, I know the hospital shuttle goes to the university several times throughout the day and night, so you could also catch it there. Good luck.

Apr 27th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Because now you have transportation, you may want to consider one of the suites-type hotels near the airport. They're not that close to the JHU Hospital, but if your husband is only at there for 2 days & you are planning on staying at the hospital most of the day anyway, the distance isn't much of an issue -- it's not THAT far for a daily round trip. Also, you might be more comfortable in a suite-type property, during his recovery. The Tremont Park in downtown has suites, too, & is just a block or so away from the subway (which is 2 stops from the JHU hosp. stop, which stops right in from of the hospital).

Another thought: because you're staying 5 or so nights, you might want to actually call the reservation desk at good area hotels (versus via the national res. number), ask for the manager, explain your situation (hospitalization, etc.), & ask what is the best rate they can offer for the time period. You might be surprised -- depending on the time & availability, you might get a much better rate than otherwise. You can usually find the specific location w/local phone # online.

I live in Baltimore, so I'd be happy to tell you about any specific property if you want location (safety, etc.) info.
The Travel Plaza BW has all the charm of a Greyhound bus & truck stop (which is primarily what it is). It's not what I'd recommend for a peaceful recovery location (or for any other reason, for that matter), although I'm sure it would be convenient and likely minimally satisfactory for your needs.

The Canton Safeway would be the best grocery for proximity to JHU Hospital, unless you want organic type stuff, in which case the Whole Foods on the edge of Fells Point is your best bet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO