Search

Hawaii locals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM
sistahlou

Hawaii locals

Packing and heading out in 2 days to Molokai and Lanai. Weather looks cooler than normal - am I correct in this presumption? Should I bring an extra somethings to wear for cool evenings? I also see weather reports for thundershowers!? I'd love that!

This is my 10nth trip, I think, so no worries, just trying to fit it all in a very small carryon from the East Coast!

Cheers!
gyppielou

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sistahlou--I have absolutely no helpful advice, just wanted to say a) I am jealous and b) have a wonderful time.

(And I thought I could bump this up for you!)
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM
sistahlou

in the words of my neices
you da bomb@@@@@@

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Molokai had unseasonably cool weather when we visited in December a few years back with high winds and we lost cable television for a day. It was really cool and the hotel did not have heating service so it was very nippy. I'd definitely bring a jacket.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:42 PM

You'll probably see some rain.

But thunderstorms are rare in Hawaii.

Even the cool nights are lows about 65. Normal about 70-72 for lows this time of year.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:21 PM

gyppie, uh, I mean "sistah"--

The last couple nights were a bit cool, but I don't know if I go so far as to say it is cooler than usual, since it is January. This has been a milder winter than usual, with no significant storms--yet. I wore a hoodie to the store just now, but that was mostly cause it is a real cute one that I never get to wear it and any excuse... I'd bring a jacket/sweater/whatever, if for nothing else cause I am always cold on the plane. It can't hurt, yeah?

Where on Moloka`i are you staying? I am taking my daughter for a few days in March and I am looking at accomodations.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM

dusty56438:

I don't know where you live, but here on Kaua`i we get thunderstorms every winter, and usually a few during the rest of the year also.

Last night was thunder & lightning; this morning we got the thunder boomers until late morning. Kewl...
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:07 PM

aloha sistah, I would bring a sweater as an extra. Mak did, and as you know she's an Illinois girl! bring an umbrella too, they are predicting thunder showers indeed.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:14 AM

here_today,

Aloha. I think sistah has already left. Here is a link to the place she is staying on Molokai.

http://www.puuohoku.com/cottage.html

-pila
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Thunderstorms in Hawaii are rare. Average 3 per month (entire state) during winter and zero in summer months.

I've probably seen an average of 1 per year on Oahu since I moved here in '99.

http://www.pdc.org/iweb/high_wind_info.jsp
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM

ttt for here_today.

-pila
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 10:40 PM

Thanks! that place looks lovely, but Dh and I are taking my daughter and SIL over to do the kalaupapa mule ride and I want to stay closer to the stables. I think I found a place, but am still shopping for a few days before I send them my deposit.

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 10:00 AM
sistahlou

Aloha one and all!

No thunderstorms on Molokai this trip. I had seen them in the weather forecast Dusty.

here-today.....we LOVED the cottage at the ranch. Yes it is 1 1/4 hours commute to mules, but just a heavenly place to stay, often by folks on Oahu, looking for the old hawaii they yearn for. The mules were amazing as was the guide and tour and views. Kealani? has taken over for the sherrif, who is ailing, and is doing an admirable job giving the tour. Call the Cookhouse to see when they have a local jam. We went on a Thurs I think and the place was rocking with good old island fun - and fabulous ribs to boot~ report sometime soon dedicated to iamq!!!
Malama Pono
G