10yr Anniversary Trip in January-Cooks, Hawaii or Fiji

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help! I'm been searching the forums and am having trouble deciding between the above islands. We want a special relaxing trip with good weather but have a budget of $5000 for a 10 day trip. We've been to Mexico and many places in the Caribbean and want a more exotic trip. Has anyone been to these places in January and have a recommendation as where to stay & the weather? We're going to try and use mileage for our airfare.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Fiji in Jan. would be hot and humid. It is in the southern hemisphere and there seasons are opposite ours. We were in July, 2001, their winter and temps were 80's, dry and sunny. That is the time to go there.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 11:30 AM

If you decide on going to Fiji, try to visit the Yasawa Island Group, just magical.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Though I've not yet been to Fiji (been to Hawaii & the Cooks), I would think that it would be the most exotic, followed by the Cooks.

Cooks and Fiji will have better calm-water sports such as snorkeling, whereas Hawaii will have better rough water sports such as surfing.

Fiji & Hawaii will have more choices in food/entertainment (the Cooks are perhaps a bit lacking in comparison).

As the others have mentioned, January is high summer in both Fiji & the Cooks with daily highs likely in the mid-high 80's, Hawaii will be upper 70's to low 80's as it is winter there. Water temps in Hawaii will be likewise be in the mid-upper 70s, while Fiji & the Cooks will offer water temps in the low-mid 80's.

It is the rainy season in all 3 places. Note that Hawaii and some of the islands of Fiji will have dry sides and wets sides, whereas the Cook Islands are too small to have this climatic feature. I would NOT hesitate to do either Fiji or the Cooks during the "rainy" season though. I know that when we do go either back to the Cooks or to Fiji for the first time it will likely be during the "rainy" season (though probably late March in our case).

Though you cannot really predict the weather, the general rule is that there is NO bad time to go to any of these places. It does rain more during the "rainy" season, but the fact is that it can and does rain at all times of the year. The main difference between the "rainy" and "dry" seasons is really more the temps and humidity rather than the rain. Much of the time the increased rain of the "rainy" sesson falls either at night or in really brief, heavy downpours in between long periods of very, very nice weather. In my experience the Southb Pacific is great during the "rainy" season.

Ken

PS - For what it's worth, I put my thoughts on the differences between Hawaii, the Cook Islands, & Tahiti (French Polynesia) down here:

http://www.epinions.com/content_3387203716
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Hawaii is very, very Americanized. You can get exotic, but at a price away from the crowds in more exclusive places. Almost anywhere you go in Fiji will be exotic, particularly with the dual native/Indian culture. Cooks as well.

There are even more exotic areas in the South Pacific, but Fiji is a great place to both get away from it all but have some time not quite so far away from civilization. It's also good for catering to a variety of budgets.

Cooks is very Polynesian and what Hawaii must have been many years ago. It's good for being more off the beaten track and getting away from it all.

If you want just a little exotic but really still want to feel like you're in familiar territory, Hawaii. If you want to get away but not too far, and for something more exotic, Fiji. If you definitely just want to forget where you came from, Cooks.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 05:13 PM

Fiji is not exotic and January's weather is awfully hot! Fiji has some fabulous resorts and islands best visited May-November as previous poster advises. Aitutaki in the Cooks sounds fabulous, also New Caledonia is very exotic. What about Thailand? Fabulous islands and resorts and very good value! Good luck.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 07:31 PM

Xuliette,

We get over to Hawai'i almost every January. We generally stay on the dry side of the Big Island and have good weather. When we lived in CA we always got down to Mexico in the winter, but the water in Hawai'i is cleaner. Its very relaxing and the Big Island has great places to explore esp. Volcanos NP. Always a treat to see some good hula and hear hawaiian music. This year we are spending a few days in Honolulu to see the Japanese woodblock print collection of Janes Michener and eat at the Hau Tree with our feet in the sand.

Aloha,

AndrewDavid

PS w/ $5000 for a 10 day trip you could live very well in Hawai'i!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 07:58 PM

Hi there,

For your budget I think you will get most bang for your buck in the Cook Islands. Very friendly place, English speaking if that helps, small and easy to find your way around.

If you go then definately get accross to Aitutaki or even one of the smaller islands like Atiu.

It can be alittle rainy on Rarotonga, the rain clouds seem to hug the mountains in the middle of the Island. But don't let that put you off as the ocean will be nice and warm whatever you do.

The lagoon on Aitutaki is the definitition of a tropical destination. Stunning blue colour and clear.

If you change your mind about the South Pacific, have you considered somewher like Langkawi in Malaysia. Great bunch of islands. The beaches on Langkawi its self are average but the outer islands have some great ones. There is a great marine reserve south of the group which is good for snorkling. A major bonus point is that it is a duty free island so the shopping is quite good. Again $5,000 USD will go along way here.

Just a couple of ideas

Steve
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 08:12 PM

hi and congratulations!

i am very lucky to travel to very beautiful and exotic places for my job.

i am telling you this, because when i am spending my own money, and using my own vacation time, i always choose hawaii.

if you want a "get away from it all" place, try kona village resort on the big island's dry side - "exotic" thatched huts, no phones, just a coconut by your door and a nice villagey feel. (and you can easily spend you 5K).

if you want sophistication, move next door to the four seasons.

if you want to feel like you have traveled back in time, rent your own former plantation cottage at waimea plantation on kauai - very 1920's estate with gorgeous palms.

hawaii is not fiji, but it is a gorgeous remote place with blue blue water and green green mountains and a culture that is living, not preserved as some relic. you will never regret going there, no one ever does.

i met a guy at a work dinner whose wife always wanted to go to hawaii and he always resisted. i won him over that first year on her behalf, now they go back every year and are looking to retire there. (and no, he never thanked me!)

it is nothing like the "game show prize" image that it has.

and no offense but new caledonia is not "exotic" (except for the loyalty islands).

i am not arguing against fiji, just arguing "for" hawaii.

i am sure wherever you decide to go, you will have a wonderful time and a great, memorable celebration.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 05:18 PM

kerikeri-no offense taken, however New Caledonia is soooo exotic compared to Fiji! Just my opinion. The food, language, French/Islander culture is way beyond anything we have experienced in Fiji! I love Hawaii also, however for us it was certainly not exotic, very Japanese/American oriented and very, very expensive. To each his own, I guess!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 10:49 PM

Lyndie -
i suppose! maybe it depends on where you go- i thought the very thing you just said about hawaii- about new caledonia! (except the loyalty island which were cool).

next trip- try vanuatu...VERY exotic. like, malarially exotic...
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:28 PM

Kerikeri, You should check out the Mauna Kea. Much better beach ((what beach at 4 Seasons?) than 4 Seasons and much more privacy and bigger lanai's. Some of the staff have been there since the hotel opened in the 60's and are extremely welcoming. Bathrooms are small compare to 4 Seasons; but we prefer the bigger ;lanais as we spend most of our time there or on the gorgeous beach. Rockefeller who built the resort had his choice of all the dry side beaches just after statehood.

aloha,

AndrewDavid

PS Sunday brunch worth the trip alone. Everything except TimTams
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 07:17 PM

hi andrew david-

hope you're doing well and still thinking fondly of kakadu (i am thanks to you!)

yes, i enjoyed mauna kea brunch very much...twice! the second time i saw george lucas strolling through and it was the weekend the release of the "new" star wars had just come out...so that was my thrill (if not the food).

(now, of course, i think he is the devil because he has torn my favorite sf park to shreds building his monstrous digital arts centers...but that is neither here nor there nor in hawaii nor fiji).

i thought the rooms there were lovely and atmosphere very hawaiian, but the beach was really rough every time i've been, as opposed to the orchid's little protected cove.

that said, i was just trying to think of "exotic" accommodations, and those other two came to mind for the o.p.

kerikeri
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 05:04 PM

kerikeri, Agree George's assault on the Bay Area is shocking. He's fenced off large tracts of Marin County as well. He probably ate more than his fair share of Macadamia pie and jumbo prawns at brunch.

Aside from Greens and Chrissy Field restoration I don't think the Presidio is giving much to me when I'm back there.

A/D