Hawaii - is there an 'off season'

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:12 AM
mm

Hi,

I'm wondering when it is slowest in Hawaii as far as tourism goes. I am interesting in info regarding time of year when flights are lowest, rooms cheapest, and number of tourist is the fewest.

Thanks,

MM

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:18 AM
HI

I'd suggest to go into any Hawaiian hotel's website as they usually break down their rates by dates or "seasons".

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Yvonne

We just returned from Maui and learned the season prices begin 12/15. It was great not to have traffic jams everywhere also.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Sarah

I am not sure what those price hikes are about I have been all times throughout the year. I think you only see a slow down in winter.

Spent a couple of years living in Hawaii and I remember the visible jumps in tourist coming in Summer mainly, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break. All other periods you can see lights out (space available) in Hilton lobbies are open and sparse of people, not a lot of traffic in Maui.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Duke

High Season is Dec 15 - Apr 30.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Emily

We have been to Maui in May twice, honeymoon & anniversary. It doesn't seem to be crowded when we have been there. Luau's not capacity, snorkel cruises were not capacity, etc. The weather is wonderful, hardly any rain at all, both trips. Happy planning!

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Sarah

I have had the same experience as Emily in January & February holidays and found crowds low.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 12:59 PM
bob

Right now is one of the slower times in Hawaii. (just after Thanksgiving but before Christmas).

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 01:03 PM
x

january is low season cause that is when they often get rain.
we went the end of sept. start of oct. and found this time to be great. fewer crowds.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 03:26 PM
bob

To x: Jan. is when it rains more often, but it is not the low season because people flock to the islands to escape the cold!!! Being from New England & the cold weather we're having lately I can understand why!

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 03:28 PM
joe

I own a condo on Maui. Our low season is offcially April 15 to December 15. During the high season or rates jump by about 40% and we experience our highest occupancy rates.Many Canadians and other northerners escaping the cold come to Maui in the winter.
Both shoulder seasons are far less crowded,September and October are the slowest months for us.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:46 AM
mm

Thanks to everyone.

I was planning on a solo trip in Feb/Mar as my wife did not want to fly that far. I was interested in a somewhat gritty vacation with few amenities.

Once I mentioned my plan my wife has decided that flying to Hawaii might not be so bad. Don't know how this will turn out but thanks again.

MM