Hawaii For Solo Traveler?

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii For Solo Traveler?

I just found out I'll have some time to take a quick trip in mid-April. Since I'm on the West Coast, I was thinking about Hawaii since I've never been there and it would allow me better use of my limited days (as opposed to going to Europe, for instance.) However, since this is a solo jaunt, I wasn't sure how fun that would be. I've traveled solo all through Europe, but that always involved a lot of museums, shows, etc. Has anyone tried visiting Hawaii by yourself? Did you find it still enjoyable, or did you miss having traveling companions (I don't snorkel, etc., but I'm open to learning ho? Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 05:47 PM

Have done Hawaii solo several times.
Lots to see on every island...so boredom not a problem....time is precious. Solo can be a benefit as you can plan the sites you want to see, and pass on the not so interesting (to you).

Do your homework....learn what's on the different islands...make your choices based on what you want to see.

Have done Oahu, Maui, Molokai, Hawaii, and Kauai solo. My favorite...Hawaii, but that just a personal thing-"LAVA"
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:25 PM

Hawaii can be fun solo and there is lots to see and do. However, IMO the difference between traveling solo in Hawaii and solo in Europe is that it seemed like EVERYBODY was coupled off. Now of course, this was not an accurate perception, but because Hawaii is such a romantic destination, particularly for honeymooners, it seems to have a disproportionately high number of couples gazing lovingly into each other's eyes.

Not that that should deter you. I, too, have traveled extensively by myself and have never let the lack of a traveling comopanion stop me from going someplace that I wanted to visit. So go, and have a wonderful trip!

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:43 PM

I have never traveled there alone but several times with my husband on business, so I was left with the days and a few evenings to go it "solo".

Beyond making an itinerary to see lots of sights in Hawaii is the wonderful chance to relax. You can just sit on the beach and unwind.
I do that a lot there. When I'm home I'm always into something, so being on an island far away gives a good chance for R&R.

Overall, I think this is one of the *better* destinations for a solo traveler. After all, it's hard to talk with a snorkel in your mouth!
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:18 PM

I always travel to Hawaii solo. I check the web for events/concerts, etc. before I go. Last trip I went to Oahu and went to a concert at the Academy of Arts and one at Blaisdale.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 06:20 AM

You might want to take advantage of some of the sightseeing tours available. This way, you will be spending some time with others in a group setting as opposed to always being by yourself. You definitely should do some snorkeling. It's fun and easy. Most hotels offer classes on snorkeling and scuba. You could also do some of the whale watching trips that are offered.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 02:03 PM

Dear JV827,

I accompanied my husband on a professional trip recently to the BI. We went a few days ahead of time and did lots of things together but then I was solo for several days during his meetings and when he golfed with buddies as I am not a golfer. I enjoyed myself thoroughly on my own and did a combination of hiking, beach/pool lounging, and group tours (whale watching) that all was good.

I love to snorkel but for safety reasons would not choose to snorkel alone. If you want to try snorkeling (it is very easy) I would suggest going on one of the many snorkel charters available where you get all your equipment, instructions, lunch and beverages and they will take you to snorkel sites that are normally not accessible by beach (Kealakakua or Pawio Bay on the BI, for example).

Have a great trip! The BI is so incredible.

Maria
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 02:29 PM

Honolulu, Oahu is the place for many lively distractions on your own, with Lahaina, Maui a possible second choice (not just it's local shops, but ferry connections to Lanai, Molokai, etc). Other than that, the quieter places involve lengthy, sometimes monotonous, drives and pretty dead evening activities.

By the way, besides the widely published Oahu activities and many museums, there are remarkable museums just opened - a free state one downtown, and the Doris Duke mansion in ritzy Kahala. Also tons of free concerts, university activities, etc.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 07:54 PM

My thoughts in addition to the excellent advice you've gotten so far: On O'ahu, you might be interested in guided hikes that are organized by the Sierra Club and the Hawai'i Nature Center. they are free or low-cost. I believe the Sierra Club on Kaua'i organizes hikes as well; probably on other islands also. If you are interested in history, I'olani Palace (in Honolulu) offers a tour that is very informative. Honolulu has a number of cultural activities beyond the usual tourist things.
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

I know it's late in coming, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses! I meant to do this sooner, but had some personal stuff that kept me from the forum and sadly, also my last-minute April trip. However, after reading the posts, I definitely feel better about doing Hawaii solo and am making plans now for a fall trip. So thanks again for your input!
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:57 PM

I live here and was a homemaker long before I had a child. I found lots to do alone. I still like to do things alone. I can give you more ideas if you like.
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:37 PM

Many things to do alone. Only things I would stress NOT to do alone, due to legitimate safety concerns, is perhaps beach activities outside of manned lifeguard towers, and hiking in mountains and valleys (for the record, diamond head does not count as a real hike).
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:10 PM

Oahu-

Concerts in the zoo on Weds.
Brunch on the beach one Sun a month.
Sunset on the beach - movies about every weekend.
At a Luau they would seat you with others.
You could take a snorkel boat like Body Glove and mingle.
Contemporary Museum and Art Acedemy
Lots of places to get a drink and dance like Rumors or Esprit.
Lots of dinner shows- magic shows, singing etc.
The only hiking I would do alone would be Diamond Head or Makapuu lighthouse. Or go with the Seirra Club (sp?)
Tour the Aquarium.
Grab a great read and sit for hours at Sheraton Moana Surfrider hotel with drinks and grilled veggies - yum!
Walk around Kapiolani Park.
Go horseback riding with a group at Turtle Bay or Kualoa Ranch. You can also go on a four-wheel drive tour or jet ski.
If you like to travel around with people you could alway take a trolley tour instead of driving or a bus to a luau or the cultural center.
Go surfing.
Take a nap on Kailua Beach.
Bishop museum and Palace.
Lots of galleries- some quaint ones on the way to the north shore.
Learn to snuba in a group tour.
Factory tours.