Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hawaii Entertainment Book/Outrigger Hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
DH and I are planning on returning to Hawaii this August and will most likely be in Oahu and Kauai. I have ordered the Hawaii Entertainment Book, and am hoping to find some hotel deals for Waikiki/Honolulu hotels.

We have 13 nights for this vacation, and will probably spend 4-5 nights in Waikiki before moving on to Kauai. We stayed for 2 nights at the Outrigger Waikiki last summer and loved it, but need to be on more of a budget for this trip, although we would love to stay there again. Are there coupons for the Outrigger chain in this book? Does anyone know what the discount is? Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 02:36 PM

I believe you should be able to go straight to the source - that is, entertainment.com

It should list whatever is in each particular book. And then if your hotel happens to be there, simply call the number listed, and they should tell you what the entertainment discount would be.

Keep in mind that the entertainment discount comes off the "rack" rate, which would be the highest you could pay at that hotel. At many hotels' websites you will find very good specials, sometimes even better than the entertainment rates.

I haven't used the entertainment card in awhile, but in the past you could book no more than 30 days ahead. It all has to do with inventory as to whether they give a discounted rate.

Happy travels!
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 06:44 PM

I ordered the Entertainment Book a few weeks ago and have received it. I'm staying in Waikiki and wondered about discounts at Outrigger hotels.
I enquired with Outrigger directly at their toll free number and it depends on the time of year. low season = save more. You can save 50% off rack rates which still is a great deal compared to the other discount rates on their website.
I'd definitely call Outrigger Hotels and enquire.
By the way I also saved 30 dollars on a weekly rental with alamo. Paid for my book right there.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!

I called Outrigger Waikiki, and as of now, I can not get the 50% off rack rates that are offered in the Entertainment Book. The reservationist said to call closer to my dates (August) and maybe some will have been opened. I am hoping this is the case. Has this happened to anyone?
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:58 PM

Hi again beachgirl..I used ET book about a year and a half ago and got 50% off on an Outrigger in Maui. Really liked the staff and customer service. We stayed in August and were able to get the discount about 2mos ahead. You can also look up their rates on their website, under "travel club" in the "more rates option" section. This way you can keep an eye on the property you're looking at. I've noticed they also have good discount rates for Outrigger Reef and Waikiki Shores (a condo property on the beach next to the Outrigger Reef). good luck!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:02 PM

oh yeah...and yes, originally the discount rate was sold out, but they opened more rooms based on the hotel occupancy, I called weekly. an FYI, I've noticed that Outrigger Waikiki is usually sold out of their ET rates sooner than their other props.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:26 PM

beachgirl86 - Maybe you should try the Outrigger Reef as previously suggested - it is usually less expensive than the Outrigger Waikiki and is a very nice hotel, on the beach, with lots of ammenities. Also, if you try Pleasant Hawaiian tours you might get lucky and get a pretty good package deal.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

I know the Reef is supposed to be good, too, but we just loved the Outrigger Waikiki so much the last time we were there that we definitely want to stay there again

I will keep calling the Outrigger the closer we get to our dates, but for now, I booked 5 nights in a partial ocean view room through American Airlines Vacations. This gave me 3K miles and 1 night free. Hopefully the Ent. rates will open up, but if not, I'm pretty happy with this deal.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM

I stayed at one of the outrigger properties using a coupon from the entertainment book. I stayed at the hotel right next to the marriott....I don't recal what the exact name was, but I know it was an outrigger hotel. I think we got 40-50% off the room rate. The hotel was right across the street from the beach. It was basic, but clean. A great deal for the location.