HAve U stayed at this SD hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to all the usual internet sites (including one someone here recommended, localwally.com) for hotels & after agonizing for days and days over various locations and weighing pros & cons re paying for parking, location, & all that , just before I was about to make a reservation at the LaJolla Radisson ( which had a $98 internet-only rate but farther to drive etc) I stumbled across cheaprooms.com.

They had far less to choose from BUT !

I got 4 nights at the Holiday Inn Mission Bay for $79.95 a night. This site posts multiple photos of the hotels ( this one had 13 of this hotel.) Free parking, all the stuff we wanted, and it looks just beautiful , rated 3 stars. Says mulitmillion dollar recent renovation, maybe that's why. The thing I liked best about this website is that unlike most of the others, I could call them and make the reservation over the phone and get the 'intenet rate' ( wow, talk to a human who can answer questions, what a concept!) but also the cancellation policy is - you CAN do it with only a $25 fee, unlike some that you cant change. Enough of that, my question is if anyone has stayed there, and what it was like.

I hope my BARGAIN turns out to be as good as it looks!
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 07:06 AM
ltt

i have never stayed there so can't comment. it is pretty central to everything. i personally wouldn't stay on sports arena boulavard because it is very busy with traffic and rather noisy. hope it works well for you.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The La Jolla Radisson - which isn't really in La Jolla - would be a much more preferable location than the Holiday Inn Mission Bay - which is not by any manner of means "in the heart of Mission Bay". The Holiday Inn is closer to most things, but its location is only great if you're visiting MCRD.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:08 AM
kkj

Can you move from the Holiday Inn Mission Bay. The staff is unfriendly, the rooms are run down and the area isn't that helpful to what you want. Most recent stay there was in late July 2003. Staff very unhelpful with all the problems. Can't recommend the hotel at all.

In a word HATED IT and will NEVER STAY AGAIN. Remember internet sites can be deceiving.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 03:14 PM

I don't know about the Holiday Inn but I have been to the Radisson for dinner, and it is located close to Interstate 5 so it's not hard to get downtown.
The public areas of the hotel are quite attractive.
As noted, the hotel is not in the scenic, fun part of La Jolla. In fact, although it's fine for driving, there is nothing within short walking distance.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:53 PM

The Radisson is in La Jolla, immediately west of I-5, but as mscarls pointed out, it's not walking distance to the beaches. It's in a nice area, a mixture of residential and business, and there are restaurants, a couple of shopping centers, and two movie theaters within walking distance. UCSD is also close by. It is about a ten-minute drive to the beaches and downtown La Jolla, the "fun" part of La Jolla.

In my opinion the Radisson is in the better location, but only you can decide whether it's worth paying $72 more for it.

If you feel comfortable with Priceline, you could probably get the four-star Hyatt Regency La Jolla for $50-$60 per night (lajolla.hyatt.com). It sits parallel to the Radisson, immediately east of I-5. It's a nice hotel; in fact, the Raiders stayed there during Superbowl 2003. See betterbidding.com for recent winning bids. I don't know what the parking rate is at the Radisson or Hyatt, but limited street parking is available for both of them.

I hope you enjoy your visit, whichever hotel you choose. Welcome to San Diego!
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 09:41 AM

walkabout, the Raiders stayed at the Hyatt.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 11:17 AM

Uh, that's what I said.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 12:37 PM
hsv

Would agree that the location of the Radisson is indeed very convenient.

Also second that public areas are pretty attractive, the grounds are quite nice, too. Rooms are a bit Motel- like, but nothing wrong with them.
Stayed there once and found it perfectly agreeable.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:07 PM

walkabout, so you did, sorry!