Looking for opinions on these S.D. & L.A. hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all... I'm doing some early planning for a trip to San Diego and L.A. next September. My main objective for the trip is to see baseball in both cities, and some general sightseeing as a bonus. Was thinking of using Priceline but since there are 3 in my group I think it would be best to just look for a good deal at a place that I know would accomodate us all comfortably.

So I'm looking for something under or very near $100 a night, including parking. Here are a few places that I've gotten rates for that I think might work. Just looking for any opinions about the condition of the properties and their locations for ease of getting around as a first time visitor to both cities.

Doubletree Club on Hotel Circle in San Diego for $104 a night. They offer two double beds and a pull out sofa.

Best Western Posada at Yacht Harbor (San Diego), a manager's special rate of $79 for two queen beds and a rollaway.

Doubletree on Wilshire Boulevard near UCLA, they offer two double beds and a rollaway for $108 but parking is an additional $21. Looks like a nicer property, though.

Best Western Hollywood Plaza Inn on North Highland offers a manager's special of $94 for two doubles with a rollaway and free parking.

Best Western Mid-Wilshire Plaza, a rate of $82 for two doubles and a rollaway, free parking. (Is this a safe area? Looks a little out of the way on the map.)

And there's a Days Inn Mid-Wilshire for $100, two queen beds and a rollaway with free parking.

I welcome any comments or opinions. Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a Holiday Inn on Highland and a new Comfort Inn that are a bit better than the Best Western, you might want to check their rates.

I would hesitate to recommend anything "Mid Wilshire".

The Doubletree near UCLA is fine, but not very convenient to Dodger Stadium. Good for touring, restaurants etc though.

If Dodger Stadium is your main attraction, look at Glendale Ca which is a very easy drive to the stadium. There is a Best Western and a Hilton in Glendale.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi Clark... thanks for your help. I guess I've decided I'd kind of like to stay in the West Hollywood area... actually only staying two nights in L.A. and planning to see only one game at Dodger Stadium. I want to visit the Petco Park in S.D. for its inaugaral season so I thought why not stop in L.A. for a game, too. It's a goal of mine to see the Cardinals play in as many different ballparks as possible. (I've got a long way to go.)

So Mid-Wilshire is not a good area... I wondered about that. Is the Best Western on Highland just run down? I'm leaning towards the Doubletree right now for my stay in L.A. but am still looking around.

Thank you again.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The Doubletree property has been through several metamorphoses over the years (used to be a Holiday Inn)(not that there's anything bad with that!). While it is an older property, it is in a great neighborhood on a very busy street, and I'd recommend it for the area alone.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 01:44 PM

I don't know that Best Western is run down in Hollywood. It's in a great location. There is also a Holiday Inn Express right next door if you want to try that or try the Magic Castle Hotel on Franklin. They are suites and have a nice pool. I agree w/Clark that I wouldn't stay in Mid-Wilshire either.