Search

Havasupai country

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:12 PM
JB

Havasupai country

Trying to talk my wife into the drive/hike to Supai Village and Havasu Falls to camp. Any thoughts on your experiences and what hardships/joys we can expect? Tips on when to arrive at Hualapai Hilltop? Any other tips? Many thanks!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 04:34 AM
sn

I am almost hesitant to respond here for fear of generating tourist attention to what may just be the most beautiful place in the continental U.S. The hike down is brutal. You'll have to leave around 3:00 am or shortly thereafter to avoid the heat of the day. But once you reach the falls, you'll be blessed with the best swimming in the U.S. and a little piece of paradise that few know about. Lots of exploring to be done at the bottom of the canyon including a great hike to the Colorado River, rock climbing, etc. The hike out has to start after dark to again avoid the real heat. The Havasu people are gracious and at least when I did this a few years back there was a small store with basic provisions. The real challenge is the hike and budgeting your water accordingly since there are no places to replenish along the way. I've heard you can do this by horse/donkey but the hike was certainly part of the experience. Good luck!

http://www.kaibab.org/supai/gc_supai.htm

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Connie

Are you speaking of the indian reservation in the botton of the Grand Canyon that you hike down to?

If so, my sister has done that and said the indians were not very hospitable. She felt like they weren't welcome even though they have a motel there.

She got talked out of camping and thought that would have been better.

She has hiked down other areas of the canyon and found it to be an awesome experience--so much so that she has done it three times now. The only thing is you must be in excellent condition to carry a pack down and back up.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:53 AM
sn

It's offensive to refer to the Havasu people as "not very hospitable" "indians". We don't need hearsay on this board (my sister's friend said she stayed...) I think you're thinking of somewhere else, anyway.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Connie

It was my sister not her friend. They had to keep going to the door of the hotel office and knocking to get their key to their room. They kept being told somebody would be there in a little while. It took an hour to get somebody to just come out and open their door. After hiking down, they were ready to get their rooms that had been reserved and paid for.

She said they were treated this way the whole time they were there. Does that sound hospitable? I'm sorry it wasn't PC but if I had said the people at Holiday Inn didn't act very hospitable, you wouldn't have thought a thing of it.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 03:42 PM
ALF

"sn" pretty much told it the way I see it too. Yeah, its a hot hike, but what isn't in the 4 Corners? Havasu and Mooney Falls are some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen - ample reward for the hike.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Connie

I don't consider the term "indian" to be derogatory. My father was half indian and I was always proud of that and to identify him as "indian".