Hiking into Grand Canyon

Search

Hiking into Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking into Grand Canyon

We plan on hiking into Grand Canyon in late august and camping at one of the sites at the bottom. Any info regarding preferred campsites, trails available and level of difficulty, and water available on the various trails? Times to get to the bottom would be appreciated. I understand the first hour and a half is tough on South rim hike on one trail, however, the hike becomes more of a walk from there. Any info will be appreciated. We hope to hike to waterfalls once at the bottom. Is Bright Angel campground the best location for that?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:47 AM

I just did this hike a week ago. Most people hike down South Kaibab and up Bright Angel.

South Kaibab is steep all the way with no water. Bright Angel is pretty pleasant until the last third (coming up). It has water at Indiain Gardens (half way) all year and 3 mile rest house during the summer.

It will seem easier going down and is quicker but it is actually harder on your body. Give yourself plenty of time to go up. It is much slower and of course, you are pulling against gravity and dealing with high altitude.

You will need to be in excellent health and condition.

Good boots with plenty of toe room is essentiel. It is common for people to lose their toenails from their toes hitting the end of their boot over and over.

HIking poles (preferably two) with rubber tips can make or break your trip. I saw very few people without them--mostly silly spring breakers.

132 oz of water was just right for a March hike. You would need much more for a summer hike. Water is very heavy. You will also need lots of snacks, preferably salty foods. Food is heavy as well. Be prepared to carry a lot of weight.

You will need reservations far in advance. For dorms at Phantom Ranch, we got reservations 1.5 years before we made the trip. I don't know if the campground fills that quickly but I wouldn't risk it.

I wouldn't worry about a specific campsite. They are all pretty much the same, along the creek. You won't care once you get there. Bright Angel is the only campground at the bottom. You can get permits for back country camping too.

I wouldn't take down food or cooking equp. You will need to make res. far in advance for meals at Phantom Ranch.

I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER do it in the heat of summer.

It took us 6 hours to get to the bottom and 9 hours to get back up. Some could do it quicker.

I don't mean to scare anyone away but this is a hike not to be taken lightly. You should do lots of research and be prepared.

A wonderful website with tons of good info is www.hitthetrail.com
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM

Here's some links that may be useful to you:

www.nps.gov/grca/backcountry/backcountry_faq.htm

http://www.nps.gov/grca/backcountry/...procedures.htm

www.nps.gov/grca/backcountry/smart.htm

http://www.nps.gov/grca/backcountry/...ibab_trail.htm
http://www.nps.gov/grca/backcountry/...ngel_trail.htm

> We hope to hike to waterfalls
> once at the bottom

The "nearest" waterfall to the bottom of the Canyon within the National Park is 6.1 miles up the trail from Bright Angel Campground. There are beautiful waterfalls in the Havasu Reservation outside the Park.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:36 AM

When we did it, they saved a certain number of campsites for walk-ins - I believe the day before you camp - People started to arrive to try to get the walk-in sites about 4 hours before they opened.
Good luck and hope you have a great time.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:50 AM

If you're more interested in the "waterfalls" aspect of a hike into the Grand Canyon, then you'll want to consider hiking down Havasu Canyon (a side canyon withing the larger Grand Canyon) to Supai on the Havasupai Indian Reservation.

It is here that you have the two iconic waterfalls that you see pictures of on travel brochures and postcards. There is a primative campground past the village, as well as a lodge within the village itself.

If this is more of what you're looking for, then click on my name and find my post about my hike to Havasu Falls.

Keith

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:06 PM

To get reservations for camping in the canyon in august, you need to apply for a permit on April 1, not before. You can fax or mail your request. You should check the regulations on the websites that PaulRabe gave you. Here is another for general information: http://www.kaibab.org/

It is difficult to get meal reservations at Phantom Ranch; they book up well in advance, but you can keep checking for cancellations.

If you can't get the permits to do this hike, Havasu as suggested is a beautiful place with lots of waterfalls, and an easier hike.