Has anyone used Sunshine Rent-a-Car?

Jan 21st, 2004, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone used Sunshine Rent-a-Car?

Hello,
I'm going to Ft. Lauderdale in April, and I was looking online to book the car rental. The cheapest rate I could get for a minivan is $567 (total w/taxes) from this Off Airport car rental company called Sunshine Rent-a-Car. If anyone's had any experience with this company I would appreciate any information/feedback.

Thanks so much!
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:35 AM

I looked them up in the yellow pages (I live in Ft Lauderdale) and they have three locations, one is just a few miles from the airport, and they say they have "free customer pick-up." I'm trying to picture where they are located on State Road 84 and I don't recall seeing them, but that doesn't mean anything because I'm usually not looking for businesses when driving in that area (I'm usually ont he way to the hospital and have other stuff on my mind.) If I'm driving in the area, I'll check it out for you. Since they have three locations in the area, that seems like a good sign.
Jan 28th, 2004, 06:26 PM

I drove by Sunshine tonight and it looked like a small place. However, it also looked as though they had moved about a block west of where they used to be (I saw a faded sign that hadn't been taken down yet) so it might just be they are a growing business. It was about 9:30pm when I went by and they weren't open, so if you arriving early or late, you might want to make sure they will be open when you need them.

Did you check Expedia or Travelocity for van rentals? You might get a good price through them with a major company.

Just thought I'd update you on what I found. Sorry I wasn't going by during daylight hours.
Jan 28th, 2004, 06:33 PM

try codeL for Budget rental car agency...got a pretty good deal...also ck orbitz.com daily and you should get a really good deal....
Feb 19th, 2004, 06:43 AM
CLF

I am also a little skeptical of its legitimacy. It is comforting to know that people have actually SEEN it!

I'll be renting from them next week and will let you know how it is. My return flight departs FLL at 6:30am, before they're open. Their policy is: a)leave the car in the Sunshine lot and hail a cab; b) leave at the airport and accept a $20 charge for an employee to go pick it up.

Their rates are so much better than the on-location renters. I hope they don't sacrifice quality.
Feb 19th, 2004, 07:32 AM

CLE I will be waiting for your report on Sunshine Rent-a-Car too; I've reserved a car from them the end of April. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:29 PM
CLF

Hello all -

Here's my (late - sorry) report on Sunshine Rent-a-Car.

It was FABULOUS. Personal, and excellent service. It's a small office about a mile from the airport.

When you land, call them while you go to get baggage. They'll meet you in their van outside the claim area. It takes like 15 minutes and the driver will help you with your luggage. He's very nice (if you get the same man).

Remember your insurance card. They're very adamant about that. I forgot mine and had to call my agent. Fortunately, Allstate pulled through once again!

Very easy access to 95 and other major roads.

We got a free upgrade, too. We'd originally booked the super-bargain car.

They give you the option for car return to either drop it off at their location or park at the airport and someone will retrieve it for a $20 fee. Considering we were on a 6:30am flight, and we'd have to hail a cab at 5:15am to get from their location to the terminal, we chose to pay over waiting in the dark in a city we're not familiar with.

All in all, it was a very nice experience with them. I would recommend them and would certainly use them again, no question.

All the best for your trips!

Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:33 PM
CLF

One other thing - they offer a military discount I think.

And they're very legitimate, my doubts were unnecessary. Great company. I wish they had offices near every airport!
Mar 24th, 2004, 12:25 PM

CLF -- thanks for the update. I saw they have good rates out of Orlando (better than Lauderdale.) I'll pass the good info onto others looking for car rentals in FLL. Hope you had a great trip!