Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at the Plaza in NYC since it reopened?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2008, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my son to NYC and would love to splurge on a stay at the Plaza, and I'm wondering if anyone has stayed there since it was renovated... it's so much $$$. I realize that's the way it is in NYC, but if I'm going to shell out $800 a night for a room, I would like some references.
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a couple of recent, very mixed reviews on Tripadvisor.com:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I've read those, and they are one of the biggest reasons for my question...the reviews seemed pretty untypical for T.A., and yet...
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With only four Tripadvisors reviews to go on, I'd focus on the fact that two of those reviews were fairly negative. No nice view for the high rate, some renovations still going on, breathtaking restaurant prices. Hmmm. Worth it? You decide.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:59 AM

Have not stayed there since - but been inside and it's gorgeous.

When I see negatives about a deluxe property concerning views etc I always wonder if the poster is used to NYC prices - and what you have to pay to get a view. They may have opted for the most basic room (probably no view) at a price tht seemed very high to them.

I would call the hotel and ask some questions - but assume if you want a nice view and larger room you won't get it for the cheapest price listed - but would have to upgrade.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:04 AM

Why do you have to stay at the Plaza? Blech. The St. Regis and Peninsula are much better.

Thingorjus
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Why "blech"?
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Well, in my opinion, the Plaza is just so overhyped. I used to live in Manhattan (for 7 years) and had two friends (John and Maryanne) who constantly had to go to the Plaza for functions. Meet for drinks on Friday after work? Had to go to the Plaza. Relatives coming into town? Had to go to the Plaza. Birthday party? Had to be at the Plaza.

I really never understood what the fuss was all about. I kind of reminds me of the fuss that people make over Tavern on the Green.

Thingorjus
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 01:49 PM

So, thin, are you talking about ancient history, or since the whole place was redone? It seems kind of prejudicial if you are judging based on the "old" Plaza.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Well, my point is that I KNOW the St. Regis and Peninsula are fabulous. So, why risk staying at the "new" Plaza and being disappointed?

But, hey, if appleassmom wants to write a review of the Plaza for all of us Fodorites, let her stay there.

Thingorjus
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM

There are a lot of considerations. I too have stayed at the Peninsula and loved it. But the room faced the noise of 5th Avenue and had no real view (except that of looking at the St. Regis). If the price were similar and I could have a newly done room at the Plaza facing Central Park -- well, I know which I'd choose.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

btw, my screen name is applewildmom. Sorry, but I find your attitude a little offensive...I am honestly asking questions out of curiosity, with no intent to incite sarcasm or bile. Thanks for your opinions, of the Plaza, your (I assume) former friends, and of me. Guess where we stay will be our business from now on.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 03:44 AM

Applewildmom, my DH's friend recently stayed there and thought it was beautiful, but he stayed in a suite overlooking the park. Kind of hard not to love that!

I remember the reviews of the old Plaza were mixed too and it seemed that everything depended on which room you got-- that it was very varied. I never stayed there myself though and don't know if i will try the new plaza.

My favorite hotel in New york is the St. regis, but i don't know if i would stay there with a child-- not sure how old your son is. I'd rather save that for a romantic getaway with DH. I can understand your wanting to be on the park and in the thick of it with your son-- it's a fantastic location!
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 03:55 AM

Darling, darling, darling, please don't take offense. I am probably the MOST sarcastic and ennui-tossing Fodorite in the history of this board.

I am really not a bad person (although I do tend to give Nyquil to children who cry on airplanes, and I sometimes don't give back the fur coats and jewellery I borrow from madcap socialites). You just have to take me with a ladle of gin, sweetie darling.

It is tough being a drag queen and working this room, sweetie darling. You are all so angry.

Thingorjus,
The Queen of Fodorville
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Dear Thingorjus, Somewhat offended does not = angry, dear. In fact, I am not at all angry, simply not interested in sarcastic, uninformative answers to my querries. Though I'm sure there is a large group which is amused by your quips and stories, (and I would in it for sure in a different venue!) I look to Fodors for first person information regarding travel.

Emcash: thank you for your reply, We have resrved two of the "deluxe Rose Suites" (my son is 18) Do you recall what the type/name of your suite was?
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM

I will see if i can find that out for you. A thought though-- maybe you can even get a better room this way-- instead of 2 suites, can you get a suit and adjoining room? It doesn't seem like you would necessarily need 2 full suites? Also, fairmont often has great AAA rates and packages (I just got a good deal on the Fairmont Copley) but you have to specifically ask. I'll let you know if i find out the room type.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM

it sounds like our friend stayed in one of the edwardian suites.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 10:26 AM

just heard from our friend and he said the service was not great when he went and there were alot of tourists in the lobby but he liked teh hotel and the location. hope that helps.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 08:24 PM

The Ritz Carlton Central Park is a better hotel than the Plaza with better park views.
The higher floors have the better views of the park.
http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...rk/Default.htm
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:56 AM

Tourists in the lobby of a hotel! Gasp! How horrible!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -