Has anyone stayed at the Algonquin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of staying at the Algonquin Hotel in May but have never seen it. It will be our first time in NYC and we heard it is in a good location and was a good value ($199 a night). I have also read that it is a little run down (from Fodors)Has anyone stayed there lately?
Thanks
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Fifteen years ago I visited a friend who was staying there. His room was tiny and it wasn't in great shape.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 03:38 PM

I haven't stayed there but looked at rooms for a friend. It's an old, famous place. Some of the rooms are very small, others are fine. $199 sounds good. Checking on hotres.com, they list a rate of $239 starting May 17. The location is good though, especially if you want to see theater. On hiotres, the Warwick is listed at $175. Check tripadvisor.com for more reviews.

In the same general area, poeple like the Michelangelo but it may be much more.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:43 PM

We've stayed at the Algonquin many times and it's our hotel of choice when the rate is reasonable (otherwise I use Priceline or Hotwire).

We love that hotel. The rooms are definitely compact, though not cramped, but very comfortable. Some bathrooms have (large walk in) shower only, no tub (so if having a tub is important to you, ask for a room with one).

The decor of our rooms has always been just fine. Very pleasant, in fact, and not the usual mixed patterns in odd colors you find in many chains. I have never observed anything "run down" at this hotel.

The hotel is nicely located right between Times Square (though on a very quiet street so it seems a world away) and Fifth Avenue with terrific public transporation all about (buses, subway) and a doorman deft at acquiring taxis.

Service here is efficient, friendly and very personal. Many of the staff have worked there for many, many years, even though the hotel has changed owners at least twice in recent years.

The lobby lounge is a terrific place to relax with an extensive menu of lighter fare, but good offerings, not the standard bar menu stuff.

The Round Table Room restaurant is terrific. Especially for Sunday breakfast. This is the sort of place they don't stop seating at 11 on the dot. In fact, one year on Christmas Day, they were still seating people well past the appointed breakfast hour, who were not even staying in the hotel (I was amazed), when they had to set up for Christmas dinner.

In the hotel "manual" in the room, you'll find the history of the hotel, its guests and visitors, which is very interesting. The "New Yorker" cartoons on the walls in the hallways is fabulous.

The Oak Room (cabaret) within is also wonderful. Again, service throughout the hotel could not be nicer. Once we had reservations in the cabaret for the late show, but were tired from being out and about all day. The manager of the Oak Room found us a table for the early show, cancelled our later reservations, and waived the dinner requirement (when we explained that we had already had dinner).

The Blue Bar is also warm and relaxing. Again, the bartenders have worked there for many years. The mixed nuts are fresh and addictive. If you order a soft drink when you get "home" to take to your room, there is no charge.

When leaving, someone on the dining room staff always fills our travel mugs with coffee, no charge.

We also enjoy the cocktail/lounge "Gaby's" in the Sofitel next door for breakfast, late night dinner, cocktails.

DB Bistro Moderne is just a few doors down, as well as the lovely restaurant at the Iroqois (name escapes me at the moment).
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information!! We have already booked a room but were having second thoughts. I keep reading that the Sofitel was a better choice but I think I will just stick with the Algonquin. Your information was so helpful. Are there any other restaurants near by that we should try? We like most everything and will be looking for something good but not overpriced. Thanks again!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 05:45 PM

Since we visit Gaby's at the Sofitel often, I can tell you that guests there complain of small (though very nice) rooms as well. But, this is sort of standard for NYC.

As for restaurants, check zagat.com, or try www.citysearch.com, search for the Algonquin, then, under "What's Nearby", click on Restaurants. Tons of great resources with web searches. Also www.nytoday.com

As for "overpriced", in my experience in NYC, value for the dollar is rather excellent everywhere, comparatively - consider that there is SO much competition all about!

A real bargain, just a few doors west of the Algonquin, on the same side of the street, is the Red Flame Coffee Shop - a quintessential NYC neighborhood "coffee shop". Be sure to note their hours when you arrive.

Gotta tell you, though, that our favorite spot, one we visit at least one on each and every trip, is Chez Josephine (www.chezjosephine.com)
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info!! We are going to see The Producers Sat. night. Any ideas for dinner before? Maybe Becco?
Thanks
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 08:38 PM

If you can book a table at Becco, go for it. Make it 6PM, or better 5:30, if you can.