Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at Disney's Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground?

Notices

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Theresa

We are interested in staying at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground and wondered if anyone has any suggestions/feedback. Cabin vs. Tent(campsite)? Kids programs?
The cost of the cabins is MUCH more expensive than the campsite online, but I'm sure it's for a good reason. Has anyone used the recent "Florida resident special rate" at the Wilderness resort this year???
Any comments would help.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Emma

Try www.disboards.com it has everything Disney. Most people won't help you here, they tend to be travel snobs.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Nikki

Hi
It's been awhile but we stayed at Fort Wilderness with our kids and rented one of their campers. It was wonderful!! My kids loved the way they could get around everywhere and had their own passes. They were young teens! Every night there were free movies and hamburg/hotdog roasts by the campfire. Disney did it up well for us and I would never fail to recommend their program. We've also stayed at the Polynesian and tho it is great - it has never matched the true fun we at camping.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Tutter

Try http://www.wdwig.com/faq_fw.htm

This site will also give you information about the other resorts & the Fla. Resident promotions + tons of more information.

We stayed there in my sister's motorhome & loved it.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Keri

Our family camped for the very first time at Ft. Wilderness this past April. We had a blast! Our four children's ages range from 15 to 3 and everyone enjoyed themselves. We tent camped and I can say Disney does it right. Since we live in Florida, we took our bicycles (friends suggested this) and I believe that was the BEST suggestion. There are many bike paths within Ft. Wilderness and riding a bike beats hopping on the bus to get from one side of the campground to the other!! Since we were unseasoned campers, a major downpour (rain poured for most of our last evening) put a *damper* our 3-night stay, but I think we'd do it again!! Re: Florida resident's discount ... When we went in April, they didn't allow us to use this discount on Ft. Wilderness Campground. Still, it's a great deal! Hope this helps!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:49 PM
Martine

We are great European Disney fans and we stay often in the "Davy Crocket Camp" of Disneyland Paris, which is similar at the "Fort Wilderness resort and Campground". So when we planned to go to Florida, we looked for the prices of FW, but they were so high that we decided to stay in a villa at 10 minutes from the parks. It was very much cheaper than a cabin at FW,our two children had their own room, and we even had our own swimming pool. And very important on vacation:the laundromate and dryer in the house. The only negative point:at the disney resorts the magic continues at night,but we had to go back every day.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:42 PM
Cherish

OOp's lets try again. On our first DW trip budget was the reason we choose the campground. Brought our trailer. Had a wonderful time. Campground was very nice. Cabins looked nice too. (Disney caters to families of four) so if you have a larger family this is the way to stay on disney property. We planned to stay one week and ended up staying two. On other trips we've stayed at the Boardwalk,(very nice but pricey) and the Holiday Inn Sunspree (enjoyable and fairly priced, large rooms, nice pool). Oh and once we stayed at Comfort Inn. (I don't recommend that.) And so, if you have a larger family, and you want to stay on Disney property the campground is great. And I haven't stayed in any of the budget DH like the All-Star, but my sis-in-law did, so we checked it out, and I would have preferred Fort Wilderness. Oh, and campground vs. cabin, campground=bring everything you need, cabin=bring clothes and food.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Pete

Use the wdwig site over the DIS...those people are messed up...even worse than oer here.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:12 AM
gerbil_boy

Best source for info on Ft Wilderness is http://www.wdwig.com. From there you will find maps and links

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:09 AM
sandi

My friends have 2 boys, 8 and 10, and they stayed there a couple of months ago and they were pleasantly surprised with it. I saw photos taken from their window and you could see giraffes grazing on the grounds below. Cool. Also, they are extreme foodies and always enjoy fine meals and they indicated that the restaraunts definitely cater to adults by adding some very incredibly tasty food on the menu as well as kid food.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:21 AM
zzz

Emma, who's the "snob" here? Your reply brushed off the question with an easy website reference, the other generous, self-less posters to this question left valuable detailed information. How unselfish, unsnobish of them. Sometimes the nasty characteristics people assign to others are really only a reflection of their own flaws.