Search

Harlem Walking Tour

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2024, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harlem Walking Tour

We're going to by in NY in a couple of weeks and would like to add Harlem to the neighbourhoods we've explored. I don't know it at all. I'd love to go to a club for music but we have all the evening plans we can manage so it will have to be daytime and probably include lunch.
Does anyone know of good walking tours of Harlem, either guided or self-guided? And a couple of lunch recommendations?
I've done a quick google search but I have to admit it wasn't in depth and I've already seen more information than I can sift through so I came to the NY Fodorites as usual.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 06:18 PM

Not usually considered part of the usual Harlem walking tour but, consider Hamilton Heights which actually is part of Harlem. There is Hamilton Grange which is his home preserved as a museum. The Grange must be visited on a free tour. Google for days and hours. Also in the H Heights is the campus of CCNY founded in 1847. The 15 acre campus is in Gothic Revival architecture and has a number of historic buildings. Just down Convent ave from CCNY is the former High School of Music and Art, aka The Castle on the Hill, also a gothic building, turrets and all. Many of your favorite stars went there - check the list of famous alumni and you will see what I mean. HS M&A has since moved to near Lincoln Center after merging with the HS of Performing Arts of "Fame" fame.
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 12:15 PM

I know one of my favorite writers, James Baldwin, grew up in Harlem, but I don't know if they have any memorials or remembrances. I also know that Sylvia's is an institution - soul food. I don't know much else about what actually remains from the pre-gentrified Harlem of the past but I'll be checking back here in case someone is familiar with the neighborhoods.
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 01:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We ate at Red Rooster.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 05:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a look at Free Tours by Foot. We have done them in Boston and San Francisco and were excellent. Haven't done a NY one yet. I am certain there is a Harlem one, which we must do.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for and I'm going to check it all out!
You're the best!
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the walking tour suggestion. I've just booked it for us and I'm really looking forward to it. We did many similar tours in London during our stay there and they were all excellent.
The tour starts at 2 and I'd like to have lunch before. The two suggestion above are Sylvia's and Red Rooster and while both look good, I've opted for the Red Rooster because their Saturday brunch menu has some lighter options on it.
Thank you all very much for your help. I'll come back with a bit of a trip report!
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Well, the Harlem walking tour was excellent! We lucked out with a nice sunny day and had a wonderful lunch at the Red Rooster before meeting at the Schomburg Centre. The Red Rooster is so lively and interesting to look at and the food was delicious. Best collards I've ever had! We had some time to visit the Schomburg before the tour started and were just in time to catch a volunteer doing a little talk about the beautiful mosaic in the floor of the lobby. Did you know that Langston Hughes's ashes are buried underneath that mosaic?
Our tour leader, Lady Altovise, was well-informed and gave an enjoyable lecture as we walked along and she was more than happy to answer any questions we had. There's no charge for the tour. It's pay-as-you-wish but she's pretty open about what's expected and I'm fine with that -- I don't want to have to guess.
Anyway, this was our first visit to Harlem and I'd certainly be happy to go back, especially for another meal at the Red Rooster or maybe to try Sylvia's.
Thanks once again to you all for your suggestions.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 10:29 AM

Thanks for sharing - it sounds like a nice trip. We are headed to Manhattan in about a month and might just do the same tour.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, TM.
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 01:18 PM

Thanks for reporting. That sounds like something we would enjoy doing next time we are in NYC.