Bachslunch Harlem Walking Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of doing bachslunch Harlem Walking Tour this next Monday but had a couple of questions. How long did it take to do the tour? I see that several things will be closed on Monday so that will make some difference. Unfortunately Monday is the only day I can do the walk. I should be able to go to the Schomberg Center on Monday and then Sylvia's for lunch. If anyone has anymore suggestions, let me know.

Here is a link to bachslunch's tour.
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...lking-tour.cfm
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

topping for any suggestions or must see's in Harlem.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM

Not much in the area where the Schomberg Center is located, it's mostly a residentail area, and right across the street is Harlem Hospital.

Sylvia's is about 10 blocks from the center, so I can suggest Spoonbread, which is just up the block and a great place to stop or lunch in the area.

There are some beautiful side streets of landmark brownstones in the area that you might enjoy seeing. Check a guide for specific streets, but I think they are in the upper 130's off Fredrick Douglas Blvd.

I live just north of that area, so can suggest taking a look at City College, Amsterdam and 140th and there are a couple of national landmark buildings and a muse at 160 or so and St. Nicholas.

Have a lovely visit.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Glad this was a helpful tour posting.

I originally said that "I could manage all this easily in a time frame running between 9:30 AM and 3 PM." Am assuming the Morris-Jumel House and Studio Museum in Harlem are still closed on Mondays, so it will take less than that (would estimate an hour at each is reasonable). Assuming that you're stopping in to look at whatever exhibits may be at the Schomburg and depending on how long you want to linger looking at the architecture, I'd plan on ca. 3 hours without lunch.

Regarding lunch -- I would advise strongly against going to Sylvia's, as the food there in my experience was not at all good:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...xperiences.cfm

Much better options would be Amy Ruth's or, if you head over towards the area by St. John the Divine, consider Miss Mamie's Spoonbread Too. I liked both very much when I tried them. At the former, getting "fill in the blank" with waffles is a good choice.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for not getting back on this post sooner. I have been traveling and am now in NYC. Yeah!

bachslunch-Thanks for giving an idea about the time needed. I am sorry the the Studio Museum and the Morris-Jumel House are closed but Monday is the only day I can do this as the rest of the week is pretty busy. I guess I will skip Sylvia's although their menu looked really good. Since both you and travelbuff recommended Miss Mamie's Spoonbread. I am familiar with the area around St. John the Divine as I went to a Christmas Concert there last year.

travelbuff-Thanks for the info. I know you live in the area so always appreciate feedback.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM

There is another Spoonbread just up the block from the Schomberg Center on the same avenue almost across the street from the hospital, so if you make it to the Center, you won't have to travel far for lunch.

Enjoy your day!!
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM

I just checked the website for the Morris-Jumel House and it says that it is availalbe by appointment on Mondays' and since you are only available tomorrow, check the website and give a call you may be able to get in. The "Muse" I mentioned earlier is in front of the house, on St. Nicholas and one of the oldest muse structures in the city.