Harlem Walking Tour (self- not with guide)

Old Mar 24th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harlem Walking Tour (self- not with guide)

I've searched through a lot of "Harlem" posts and they seem to be people mostly asking for information and not getting a whole lot.

We are two seniors - pretty good walkers, but not great with lots of steps, so bus may be our form of transportation here. Our interest in this area are the history and music.

We don't want to go on a guided tour - we like to go at our own speed and want to have lunch at Amy Ruth's. We are interested in the old original brownstones and would like to stop for a drink (or two) at an old jazz spot.

We're staying on 77th St in UWS. I can't figure out where to *start* and where to ramble. Is there a "Do-It-Yourself" Walking tour of Harlem around that I haven't found?

Help appreciated, as always.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM

We used the guidebook by Frommers "Memorable Walks in New York" which had a good walk through Harlem. Make sure and check out the Museum of the City of New York as well which has some great exhibits.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi Panhandle,
I have the Frommers' New York City 2007 and there are no tours in it. I guess they are in a separate book - but for $17.99 (plus tax) you'd think they could have added a few!

About all they say about Harlem is to go on an organized tour and not to go at night. They have two restaurant recommendations also.

Did you happen to eat when you did your Harlem tour? And if so, do you remember where you ate and what your opinion was?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

I'm still hoping for replies. I noticed that I neglected to put this under NY when I posted, so thought I"d bump it up - maybe some of the NY posters will see it this time.

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 06:56 AM

First, read well the respons...
Panhandle told you about "Frommer's
MEMORABLE WALKS in NY" and not the Frommer's 2007.
There is a walk in this guide(memorable..) on upper manahttan and Harlem...
Second, there is a guide, edited in 1997 : "Touring historic harlem : 4 walks in northern manhattan" by A.S.Dolkart and G.S.Sorin : very well
informed, nice walks...Not sure you can find it new in bookstores..
Third,while arriving in NY, you can go to the Barnes and Nobles bookstore across Lincoln Center : they have a very important NY turism section.
The store at the museum of the city of NY has also a lot of references, but beware/days where it's open...
Erik.