hanalei vs princeville

May 28th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

hanalei vs princeville

trying to find the ideal spot for our family and am currently deciding between hanalei and princeville. i realize they are not far apart, but we will have two littls kids with us (1 and 2) and want to pick a spot that gives us the most convenience - walking to beach, shops, dining, etc. having a "baby beach" is also a plus but not required. we're looking for a vacation rental home and not a resort.

on a somewhat related note, does anyone know if the homes in the princeville resort complex give you access to the resort's pool?

and, is it really true that there is only one restaurant on all of the north shore with an oceanview?? i don't remember where i read that but i think it was on another post on this forum. we love dining with a view...and even though we plan to cook many of our own meals, i know we'll want some nice dining options preferably with a great view.

help!
May 28th, 2008, 01:33 PM

If an easy stroll to the beach is important, you'll have to choose Hanalei -- all the Princeville beaches are down below our bluff-top location. Hanalei Beach is lovely...and usually calm and clear in the summer months. There are many, many homes for rent in Hanalei. Here are some vacation rental companies which I can personally recommend:
http://www.800hawaii.com/hanalei.html
http://www.napaliprop.com/vr1.htm
http://kauai-vacation-rentals.com/
http://www.princeville-vacations.com...1/hanalei.html

To answer your 2nd paragraph, all of the resorts at Princeville allow only their guests to use their pools.

Princeville Hotel has two restaurants which both have ocean (and bay and mountain) views. Hanalei Bay Resort (located in Princeville) has bay and mountain views. The new Westin at Princeville resort has distant ocean views. None of the Hanalei restaurants have ocean views -- but the Mediterranean Gourmet in Ha`ena (about 15 minutes beyond Hanalei) is the only true oceanfront dining facility on the northshore...with full-on ocean views just outside their windows.

May 29th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response and advice. What is the walk like down from the bluff to the beaches in Princeville. We are finding more homes in our price range and many with pools there - we're not finding any with pools in Hanalei (anyone know of some?) Is it really unrealistic to consider going back & forth from a home in Princeville to the beach with two little kids? Finally, is there a better residential section for us to consider if we considered Princeville?

Thanks!
May 29th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Sclubb, we loved our Princeville location detached condo. It was convenient, new, sparkling clean and well located. Albeit not on the beach, it was an easy drive (5 minute) to the Princeville Hotel and we could use their beach. You take the elevator down to the beach level. You can drive to Hanalei beach also. www.kauaivilla.com
May 29th, 2008, 07:04 PM
dmlove

The problem with driving to the beach is that you have to pack up your entire life and take it with you when you have a 1 and a 2 year old with you!

May 29th, 2008, 07:18 PM

I think with the kiddo's I'd pick Hanalei over Princeville... a place that is walkable to the beach... Hanalei has more restaurants and shops and I think would be easier than packing up the car in princeville and driving down to Hanalei bay. The drive isn't bad but with a 1 and 2 yr old seems like it would be easier to me.

Mediterranean Gourmet is in Haena and its on the beach though I haven't been yet to let you know about the view.. I'm going to check it out on our next visit. Most of the restaurants in Hanalei are on the main road. I would think some of the restaurants at the Hanalei bay restort and Princeville resort would have great views of Bali Hai.

J
May 29th, 2008, 07:37 PM

The one Princeville beach I have been to is called Hideaways. It is located below the Pu'u Poa condos. The trail down the cliff is short, but extremely steep. The first 100 yards or so there are some steps with a metal bar to hold on to. I'm not sure I'd want to negotiate it with a one and two year old. Hideaways is accessible from the Pali Ke Kua condos too I think, but I'm not sure that path is open to the public.

I prefer staying in Hanalei as one can walk to the gorgeous beach and restuarants in town from just about any of the rentals on the ocean side of the highway. Love the beach-town vibe too.
May 29th, 2008, 07:44 PM

There is a big difference between the two. Based upon my visit early this year:

Princeville is great if you are an affluent golf-driven person partial to big restaurant eating. You are not going to be happy trying to walk down any of the trails to the beaches in Princeville with little tykes. It's a long, slippery way down. The Princeville Hotel has a pool/beach and that might be your best bet in that region, but you would have to stay there $$$$. The resort's pool isn't that great.

Hanalei is great if you are a young foodie looking for a really mellow experience. But, no pools I ever saw.

If I had little kids, I'd maybe consider the big new condo-resort in the Princeville area with a pool - Mariott? If you want to drive to a beach, Anini Beach is great for little kids, if you bring an umbrella or other sun protection.
May 29th, 2008, 08:05 PM

"Hanalei is great if you are a young foodie looking for a really mellow experience."

Please take that comment worth a grain of salt. I'm neither a foodie or young and have loved staying in Hanalei on our last two trips to Kauai.
May 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM
dmlove

I think the new resort in that area is a Westin.

May 30th, 2008, 09:16 AM
jcb

I just returned from a week in Kauai staying at a condo in Princeville w/ a 3 and a 1 year old. We went to the beach 5 times (4 of them to Hanalei Bay and once to Kee). Hanalei Bay was a wonderful beach, and a few times I got a little jealous when a family would walk out from their house right on to the beach.

Don't know when you are going or where you are traveling from, but I imagine that your kids will wake up very early (ours did). Every morning we tried to get to the beach around 8:30 before the sun got too strong and play for a few hours. FYI - I didn't see much shade at Hanalei (although I didn't look very hard). Then we would go back to the condo to eat (if we didn't eat at the beach), cool down a little and then hit the pool. The kids loved the pool!! I was very glad we had one.

IMO, it is not that big of a deal to drive to the beach w/ kids.
May 30th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

THANKS everyone!

I think we have all agreed to look for a home in Hanalei based on the feedback here and from personal friends we've had travel there recently and know our travel preferences/style. If there is no shade at Hanalei, we'll just have to rent a tent or something so the kids won't be in the sun all day. We're traveling from the east coast and will be there 9 nights....but yes, I imagine the kids will be up early. Being so close to the beach, town and house, it'll give easier access to everyone since we have 5 adults who like to do different things!

Anyway - thanks again....if you have any other advice/thoughts, please pass them along.
May 30th, 2008, 11:33 AM

Last year when we were in Kauai we stopped by Walmart which is close to the airport to buy a small beach umbrella and a couple of cheap beach chairs. It made our adventures to the beach much more enjoyable and then we left the umbrella and chairs in the hotel room closet for the next people to use. If everybody did this once we could stock every hotel room in Kauai with chairs and umbrella's for guest use.
May 30th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Our sons and their families -- including 4 small children -- come visit us on Kaua`i every year. We get condos or vacation rental houses for them.

One year it was a big house for the entire gang -- Anini Beach. Easy beach access, but the small kids had problems sleeping at night due to the heat (usually in the 70s overnight in summer).

One year they each rented houses near us in Princeville -- one with A/C; one without. The A/C was a crowd-pleaser!

One year was bluff-top oceanview condos with swimming pools, but no A/C. Swimming pools were a crowd-pleaser!

So this year each family is staying in an A/C'd condo (no ocean view) with swimming pool. First family just departed today after a week's stay and LOVED the complex. Here's the unit they had:
http://www.800hawaii.com/princevilleplantation1112/

By keeping all the beach supplies loaded in the car trunk or van, they're always ready to jump in the car and go to the beach. Visiting mainland kids tend to rise early (for our grandkids, it was 5a.m. daily), so breakfast, then beach, then lunch, then naps, then pool were a great routine for all.

Favorite beaches for small-fry still are Ke`e (lovely, languid lagoon in summer), Hanalei Bay (when there's no surf), Anini Beach (reef-protected lagoon), and Lydgate (manmade lagoon AND great playground).
May 31st, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

I think we're still trying to find a place in Hanalei since we also have 3 adult family members traveling with us who won't necessarily follow us back to the house for the nap each day. But, we're keeping Princeville in mind since prices seem to be less. Either way though, what should we expect if we had no a/c in early Sept? Thanks again!
May 31st, 2008, 02:32 PM

Here's a rental in Hanalei across from the beach with a/c in the three bedrooms.

http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/...s&Avail=&Stay=

We've never been in September, but I know from personal experience August can be pretty hot. Make sure your rental has good flow through for the trade winds, ceiling fans and and a shady outdoor area like a covered lanai and you should be fine.

Jun 4th, 2008, 09:54 AM

We rent a house right on the beach...Tunnels beach which is good for swimming and snorkeling - in fact just about the best snorkeling you'll find anywhere. It's Pu'One and we rent through kauaivacationrentals.com. It's actually located just north of Hanalei and Princeville -- very easy drive to grocery stores, coffee shop, restaurants. The house has one room with 2 double size beds, one room with bunk beds and one room with a double bed. Also there is a huge "thing" in the living space that will sleep a couple of people comfortably. We love it because you can sit on the lanai and watch the gorgeous sunset over Bali Hai...it has on either side of it grassy yard, you just walk down a gentle slope and you're on the beach. There also are several other homes for rent along Tunnels Beach - we wouldn't stay anyplace else with our kids!
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Oh, I also meant to say that the house is located in the little town Haena...any of the houses located along Tunnels Beach and Ke'k beach are great locations.
Jun 4th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Okay...nevermind...I just looked up the house and couldn't find it on the website i gave. I DID find it on several sites and it now is minimum $5,000 per week. OMG! I admit it's been about 5 years since we were the last and we paid $2800 per week. It's wonderful - but not that wonderful...Check the Hale Kahelelani also on Tunnels - it has more ammenities, as nice a location and it is at least half way reasonably priced. I'm still reeling at the rent now for Pu'u One...

Search this Thread