Hana in a minivan

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hana in a minivan

Thanks to everyone who responded to my last Maui post, wonderful tips!!! Since we are a family of six I had to rent a minivan for our stay. After reading many posts, I'm now a bit unsure of driving the road to Hana...can't rent a jeep for the day, we won't fit. What do you think? Also, should I really pack the kids hats and mittens for the sunrise trip (definately doing)? We leave in 10 days and thought I could leave those in Wisconsin! Thank you!
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 08:15 PM

I'm told pre-dawn Haleakala is cold.. after all it's 10,00ft or so asl.
regarding Hana drive in a minvan, don't see why not, plenty of tour operators take their customers down there every day in minivans. Hana road may have been a challenge at one time but now it's a paved two-lane blacktop, just has lots of curves. Lots of good scenery but the driver will need to concentrate. If you go past Hana i.e. keep going all the way around, then you will hit some not so good stretches, but again the tour companies do it daily (unless flooding) Have a great trip.
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 10:39 PM

Yes, you MUST bundle up for the summit at Haleakala at sunrise! It's a mountain, just like a mountain anywhere else in the world, 10,000 feet up, and before dawn it'll be like 40 degrees. Don't know about Haleakala, but people ski the big peaks on the Big Island in the winter!

Also, yes, lots of tour vans do the Hana highway, it's fine, nicely paved two lane highway, but yes, it does get rough for several miles around the south end, but certainly not impassible, we did it in our rented Subaru Outback.

And are you SURE your kids want to do that long Hana Highway trip?

love
roxy
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 10:41 PM

When we did sunrise at Haleakala we just pulled the blankets off the hotel beds for the morning. It worked well as you certainly don't need any warm clothes for the rest of your stay. Bath towels might work for younger kids.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 05:27 AM

We just came back from doing the sunrise trip and yes, it is cold. We grabbed a couple extra blankets from the condo though and that was fine - as to bringing hats and mittens, I wouldn't bother. If the kids are going to be bringing socks, just use those as mittens! Trust me, we saw just about everything up there with people trying to stay warm (like a guy wrapped in his wife's bathrobe). I would not bother wasting space in the suitcase. Its an awesome sight - wish for clouds - that is the best viewing.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Top of Haleakala is definitely cold but we didn't take mittens--just long pants, a couple of layers of shirts and a coat.
Now, about the road to Hana, it is definitely doable in a minivan; however, my main concern with kids would be the nausea factor. The road is very curvy. Even with Dramamine, my oldest son, who tends to have a sensitive stomach as far as motion is concerned, threw up twice then moaned the rest of the time. Not very enjoyable for him or the rest of the family. We are headed back this New year's and will skip it. So take into account how car sick your kids tend to be.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:57 AM

We have done the Hana Hwy twice in a mini van, no problem. Ask the front desk for blankets for Haleakala, you don't have to pull them off of the bed.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Great! I'm glad to know the van is OK. I guess we won't decide on the Hana drive until the middle of the vacation...I would hate to miss it, but not sure the boys would all enjoy it. Hate to mess up a vacation in paradise with alot of whining!!! Great tip on the blankets. Thanks. 10 day countdown has begun. YAH!