Reload this Page >

Hana - drive and visit in one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Beverly

For those of you who have driven the road to Hana - is it possible to leave from Wailuku (near the Kahului airport) early in the morning and drive over and back to Hana in one day? How long is the drive?

Thanks!

Beverly

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:48 AM
DawnCt

Beverly, it is the journey, not the destination. We make many stops along the way, the waterfalls on the mauka side, the views on the ocean side,Wainanapa State Park. I am sure you could make the drive and be back by night fall. Allow 8 hours and you will be fine.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:06 AM
elaine

you can do it in one day. just a suggestion, after leaving the sacred pools, continue driving on around the back side. we did this two years ago and it was well worth it. very few places are a little bad on the road. we stopped at an old church on the way and saw monk seals on the beach. it does get "not so pretty" before you get back {we saw a dead cow} but most of it was beautiful.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Beverly

Thanks for the quick replies! I will be sure to stop along the way, as you recommend.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Ainsley

You should be able to do it all in one day. But make sure you leave early, especially if you are going to drive around the back side of the island. You'll want to make sure you are driving in daylight when you drive the back side as the road is not paved and can get pretty bad in spots. It is beautiful, though! Make sure you have a lot of film!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:48 PM
sss

We were there about a week ago. You will not be able to see a third of the sights in a day. We spent 3 nights in Hana and I cant see hitting all of the sights in any less time. Any longer might be a little too much. To me, the best part of the drive was on the other side of Hana before the 7 pools. We went around the back side of the island on the way back and it was well worth it. It was beautiful and somewhat of an adventure. My advice to you is to pick your sites carefully because you cant hit all of them. I would make sure to hit the Kenae peninsula, black sand beach and the waterfall at the state park with the bathrooms right off of the main road towards Hana.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Lonnie

Just curious about where you stayed in Hana. We would like to spend 2 nights there in early December. But don't want to spend $$$$$$$. Just $$$$
Thanks,
Lonnie

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Sherry

You should not spend more than one day on the road to Hana. It makes for a very long day, and it is very nice, but there is so much else to do in Maui. Get on the road EARLY (7:30 if possible, I'd say). Then, DO NOT STOP at Hana-- keep going to the 7 pools. It's what makes the drive worth it, by far. Hana to the 7 pools is the prettiest part of the drive, and the pools are wonderful. You'll make it back in time for dinner, and you will be tired, but will have had a nice day.