Road to Hana: Time it takes and where to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are considering taking the road to Hana while on Maui but it seems that it takes at least five hours to get there, with really only one rather expensive resort for the overnight. Are there other places to stay that are nice? Do we then return to the west coast, where we will be staying, the next day on the same road or follow another route for variety? Is this trip really worth the time involved and all the driving if one is spending six days on the island?
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 12:36 PM

this is a topic that can become heated quickly because there are two camps..do drive to Hana or not..
I've done it and thought it was boring, long 8 hour drive.
I'm glad I did but the drive took all day and besides the 7 sacred pools and the graveyards on the back side, It did not appeal to us.
I prefer the backside of Kapalua much better.
Has the road opened up all the way or do you have turnaround after Hana?
The hotel in Hana looks lovely and I know some on here are big fans and they can provide more info.
Aloha and Mahalo
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 12:57 PM

We enjoyed it, but it did take all day; we left early in the morning and got back after dark. Someone gave me a great CD that narrated the drive by mile marker so we knew what we were looking at. I'd recommend buying one if you can find it. We didn't spend the night, just turned around and came back the same way we went. We did get a lot of great pictures.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 01:41 PM

Well, do you like to drive really slow, very windy roads that travel along the edge of cliffs and through lush rain forests high above the ocean? Some people love that sort of thing and others don't. Which one are you? What you see the first hour of the drive is pretty much the same you will see the rest of the drive. So at what ever point you get tired, you can turn around and go back. It is not necessary to go the whole way! There is no need to get to Hana per se. Hana is not the attraction------the scenic drive is the attraction.
To go all the way around the island, past Hana, you should be a very adventurous soul (maybe you are). If so, read all the details and cautions in the book Maui Revealed so you know what you are getting into. If you decide to, check locally to see if that part of the road is closed or open when you are there.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! Based on these three, I don't think we'll be going to Hana, but maybe drive the road for an hour or so.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Sounds like a good idea. If you want to do a big splurge on a great dinner in great island ambiance that night, eat at Mama's Fish House. It is on the ocean side of the road to Hana as you are coming back into town. Reservations probably needed.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM

The Garden of Eden is just far enough along the Hana Hiway to get a taste of the area. www.mauigardenofeden.com. It's a pleasant place to visit, and then turn around. I second the idea of Mama's Fish House, but I prefer lunch instead of dinner. Views are better and prices not quite as expensive.
I actually like BEING in Hana more than I enjoy driving there.
Very pastoral and peaceful.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the good tip!
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Road to Hana is one of the most scenic drives in the world. Drive the entire road & past Hana to Ohe'o Gulch. You won't be disappointed.

The more places you stop, the better the drive is.

Many Maui sites & some Road to Hana links:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2...ackground.html