hamptons long island

Search

hamptons long island

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hamptons long island

My wife and I are planning a first trip to Long Island in September. Can anyone give us recommendations for a nice place to stay ? We would like to stay near the Hamptons.Thank you all.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:33 PM

First, some geography: "The Hamptons" is a group of communities that stretches about 40 miles down Long Island, from Westhampton to Montauk.

That being said, the topic of where to stay on the east end of Long Island has been addressed many times on this forum. I suggest you do a search.

Good luck!

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:28 PM

When you say "near" the Hamptons, any reason not to stay IN the Hamptons? What interests you and what's your budget? That will determine where to suggest. September is a beautiful time on the east end of Long Island.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

We plan on taking the ferry from New London to Orient Point and travel down the North Fork. We would like to travel from Eastport on up to Montauk.We'd then go back to Orient Point and the ferry via Shelter Island
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 06:40 AM

If you type "hamptons" in the search box, you'll find plenty of info.

Good luck!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 11:24 AM

We used to go to Montauk every Sept after Labor Day and always stayed at Montauk Manor. It's not on the beach, but a great place with individually owned units. Most are like apartments and many have balcomies.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 11:39 AM

In Montauk you can stay at a number of hotels/motels right along the beach.
We used to stay at Lenhardts (sp) and Burcliff by the Sea..fireplaces and charming, right across the from cliffs and ocean.
In East Hamtpon, we used to stay at the Dutch Inn..
My mind is blank now (so what else is new?) but if you do a search here , you will get some good suggestions.
I wanted to live on Orient Point
I also love Sag Harbor, go to see a movie at that old movie house, always showing good foreign films..have dinner at America..
I guess you are going to some of the wineries? If you had not thought to, Do!
Have fun!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:17 PM

You don't say how long this trip will be. You might want to consider staying in a few places. If you spend the first day or so on the North Fork you might want to stay somewhere there. Sorry I can't really help on that score.

On the South Fork, Sag Harbor might be a good stopping point. Baron's Cove is across from the water and I think has decent rooms. The Enclave Inn in Bridgehampton is another option. It's more motel than Inn though.

Scarlett's suggestions for East Hampton and Montauk are also good. I hear the Harborside in Montauk is very good.

Scarlett, I just saw "Ladies in Lavender" at the movies in Sag Harbor.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 09:30 PM

mclaurie, that's great! I just love walking around town then going to a movie there. We saw some good ones..we rented a house in Montauk most summers and I think I can still drive that Montauk to Sag Harbor trip in the dark without slowing down lol.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 05:49 AM

the "must" wineries are lenz on the north fork,(mattituck maybe?) and wolffer on the south fork. (bridgehampton) enjoy!