Haleakala Zipline

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haleakala Zipline

Has anybody tried the Zipline? We are going to Maui in January and thought this would be
an interesting experience. It is operated by
Skyline Eco-Adventures. Any information would be appreciated.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:08 PM

Is this something new? I've never seen or heard of it before and i've been to Maui many times.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

I found a web site for Skyline Eco Adventure: www.skylinehawaii.com
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:08 AM

Yes, this is new. But in my mind they are also suspect. They call themselves an Eco-Tour, and yet it is run by the Haleakala Ranch, the same people who run ATV and Hummer tours. Sorry, but anyone who runs hummers and ATVs through the rain forest cannot earn an "Eco" label just because they donate 10% of the zipline proceeds to enviromental causes. If they were truly concerned they would get those ATVs out of there.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:19 AM

I have never done this but I checked the web site and it looks to me like the dumbest scam I have seen in a while to separate tourists from their dollars !
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

I'd like to hear from someone who has actually done the zipline tour, not your opinion on something you haven't seen or experienced.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 03:48 PM
gyppielou

Lighten up MrR.....

Many of us are seasoned travelers, and as such have a possibly credible opinion, that is at least worth listening to, even if we are speculating. That said, I searched out the website, and I'm with here-today and rusty. I will be in Maui soon, and will make an effort to inquire, or check it out if I make it up there. However my inclination says---why?

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 10:37 PM

Mr. R, I'm going to Haleakala too, and I wanted to do the zipline myself... when are you gonna be in town?
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 08:37 PM

Well I stumbled across these postings and just had to repond to set the record straight. First off, just so all of you know of my bias, I own Skyline Eco-Adventures, however facts are still facts. First off, I am happy to hear that there is some interest amongst you in our tour and hope to meet you in person some day.
We are in no way owned by Haleakala Ranch, and neither is Haleakala ATV Tours, we both just work on their property. Skyline is it's own company started by my dad and myself in 2002. We have been voted Hawaii Eco-Tour Operator of the Year 2004 by the Hawaii Eco-Tourism Association (www.hawaiiecotourism.org) during our first year in business. They still have the 2003 winner posted on the website, but check back later on that. I can assure you that protection of Maui's environment and culture is a very, very important part of my life . . . and though we may seem to be just a new way to split a traveller from their money, I think you would be hard pressed to find a past customer who feels like our tour was not well worth the price.
I welcome any comments you may have, but just wanted to be sure that you understood who we were before you jumped to any conclusions.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 04:33 AM

dannyb: your tour looks interesting to me. I would sugget that you put a timeframe on your website. It's hard for people to plan these activities if they can't tell if it is an hour or 6 hours and if you have set times you run this activity. Just a thought
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:47 PM

I was thinking about doing this zip line tour but would really LOVE to hear from ANYONE who has actually done it. Was it worth the money ? How long was it ? etc.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:05 PM

I did a zipline tour in Kauai last May on land owned by Bill Gates. It is THE BOMB. Completely rocks!!! Not fast or scary. You control the speed you go.

We're in our 40s and there were people from 20s up to about mid 60s doing the tour. One girl was very nervous before the first zip and we had the chance to turn around after the first zip but she did fine and kept going. I encourage you to go for it. I'll definitely do it again.