maui horseback riding/kayaking/sail

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Maui in Aug. for our honeymoon and would like to go horseback riding on the beach, kayaking and are interested in a sunset sail. If in anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Also would it be better to wait and book these till we get there to see if we find coupons at the hotel? Thanks.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 12:35 PM

I know that we paid at least twice what some last-minute folks did for out sunset dinner sail; wait and get coupons from the tons of tourist guidebooks at the airport, then go to wholesalers to buy when you're ready.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 02:24 PM

You don't ride on the beach - in fact, you climb the hills way above the beach - but we loved the sunset ride at Makena Stables.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:07 PM

I worked as a concierge at the Hyatt on Maui for a couple of years and was able to try out every single horseback ride on Maui. In my opinion, the best horseback ride on Maui is Piiholo Ranch. Here's why... They are the only ride on Maui where the horses (and Wranglers) are trained in Natural Horsemanship. The approach is based on mutual respect rather than dominance and their care for their horses is the best I've seen. Unfortunately, so many of the other tours I've experienced don't treat their horses very well. One company actually handed out sticks to the riders to hit their horses with! Another company allowed their guide to smoke a cigar in front of us. You won't find that with Piiholo. There is no smoking (or cell phones) allowed. The terrain and views are awesome!!! The ride takes place on an 800 acre private ranch over 2000 ft. above see level. (Which also makes for a much cooler more comfortable ride then those found by the shore line). Groups are limited to 6 riders and Piiholo is the only horseback riding company on Maui with a Natural Resource Manager on staff. The ranch even has an endangered species protection program with a Nene (Hawaii's state bird) sanctuary and protected Koa trees on site. The ranch also has an extensive family history to it dating back over 100 years. It's great fun for the whole family, as they allow children as young as 8 years old to participate in the ride. The tour is worth every single penny!!! Their website is www.piiholo.com if you want any more info. on the ride or the company.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Spam-a-lot.