Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

BIKE THE VOLCANO MAUI!: WHICH TOUR COMPANY IS BEST??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 06:28 PM
Phil

I will be honeymooning in Maui in September of this year and my wife and I plan on biking the volcano. I have checked out some of the companies at mauionabudget.com and have no clue which is better than the other. The prices vary quite a bit. Anyone have any stories w/ experiences about one or the other? Any opinions on which is better? Thanks in advance....

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 07:43 PM
Heidi

Aloha,
In my honest opinion I think
Maui Downhill does the best job..
I live here on Maui and have gone with them a couple of times and had a great
time both times.

Mahalo,
[email protected]

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 09:37 AM
DB

My wife and I went with Maui Downhill a few years ago and loved it! The guide was awesome, the ride and view spectacular and the food great. Will definitely do it again when we go back with our kids someday.

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 12:37 PM
Becky

Another vote for Maui Downhill! We went on the morning sunrise trip with them last month and had a great time. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 12:52 PM
Brooke

We went with Maui Downhill on the sunrise tour and were disappointed. We have been downhill biking in the Blue Mountains in Jamaica, New Zealand, and Alaska. Maui downhill needed to keep us at a pace that we were unconfortable going. They had it regulated that they has to keep a certain pace and no stopping, etc. Other bike companies were lined up for this so that is why you had to keep the pace. I don't know if whoever was the last company down had more leisure or not. It's possible that they are all timed. Or perhaps later in the day they allow you to go down more leisurely. We just felt rushed. Maybe someone else on the forum has more info on this.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 06:12 AM
edie

i have already posted this opinion on this board somewhere, but here goes.
i can't remember which tour we used, but they had blue windsuits, as opposed to yellow ones, or none. definitely pick a group that gives you fleeces, wind suits, and gloves. we had brought warm clothes b/c we went to San Fran before Maui, and we were still freezing.
i personally think that the daytime ride would be better, getting up at 2 am to get to the top of the mountain is horrible. and then you will be exhausted the rest of the day. just my opinion.....
oh and when the tour guys set up the cute pictures of you and your husband on you bikes, in your blue wind suits, halfway down the mountain, definitely take one...my husband is a pain in the a** about pictures and we didn't take that one, which i completely regret.

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Mark

Phil,

Definately check out Aloha Bike Tours (www.mauibike.com). They are a smaller owner-run operation and let you take your time riding down and stopping when you want. We took off just below where the other companies do and waited until they were past to start out. The red/blue/yellow "Power Ranger" riders all went down very fast in large packs. We met around 7am (you can do the sunrise on top of the mtn yourself if you want and they gave us great advice on where to go). Very new bikes and great service. Near the base, we went along a picturesque country road (where none of the other tours go) and ended up at a winery where we had lunch. This was the best day we had - you'll have a fantastic time!

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 05:16 PM
Jeff

We used Upcountry Cycles in Pukalani, Maui. For $38, they take you up 6500 ft. and drop you off. They will give you gloves, hats, jacket, etc. You can go at your own pace, stop and take your own pictures, etc. This was much better than going in a group. You simply return the bike at their shop when you get back down the hill. The top of the hill for sunrise is freezing. You will be chilled. (I froze and I am a life-long Minneapolis resident). Better to go up there on a separate trip by vehicle. Stop at the Protea farm and send back flowers to a grandmother or aunt.

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 05:22 PM
Jeff

This is not related to your question... but the best place to eat is the Haile Maile General Store. It is not highly advertised to the tourists, but the locals go there. They have fresh seafood daily and a great chef.

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By far the safest companies are the "unguided" ones. They take you up to the volcano and you can take your time going at a pace you are comfortable with, on the way down. Their safety records are much better with no deaths and much fewer accidents. The two companies here on Maui are, Haleakala Bike Company and Maui Sunriders. The guided tours tend to rush you down the mountain. Go to our website at bikemauisafety and you'll get tons of facts and information about all the companies. Also there is two youtube videos. One is called Haleakala Hazards, that was made by KHNL, one of our TV news stations, and the other is called downhill bike hell on Maui. Both give you an idea of the dangers and problems. This way you can make an informed choice. Good luck and Aloha!!!