Gulf Shores Area Hurricane Damage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for information of the beach & general conditions in the Gulf Shores, Alabama area? We have a trip planned in April '05.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 01:47 PM

My parents have 2 condos in Gulf Shores and both properties have been closed down until July. Where are you staying? Most properties lost all units on the first floor and all pools. However, some properties received minor damage and others were totally wiped out. I go to Gulf Shores approx 6 times per year, and I do not anticipate the area fully recovering until Spring 2006. Therefore, I plan to avoid the area in 2005. Instead of Gulf Shores, I plan to visit SanDestin, Florida ... about 90 minutes east of Gulf Shores.

You should be able to obtain a really inexpensive lodging rate in Gulf Shores during next Spring.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 09:28 AM

To 2bamafan -

Can you tell me how the Gulf Shores Plantation resort faired? It's one of our favorite places, and I really wanted to try to go again next summer.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 05:44 AM

Sis lives in Fairhope, near Foley, which is just 5 or so miles from GS. She says some things are up and running, others still working on it. I do know that Perdido Beach Resort is scheduled to be open Mar. 10th. Hubby has a meeting planned then and I have one in April there. Contact Meyer Reality for more detailed info.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 12:08 PM

I was on Perdido Key last week, and things looked a mess to me. Many condos are having to be re worked because mold of the toxic variety is growing in the drywall. Loads of white sand were being dumped on the beaches; I could see it still piled up where the trucks had dumped it. Many access roads are closed, and many houses were wiped out. They may be standing, but they are not habitable.

The resort you mention may reopen, but not much else will be serviceable. Around the area, there are still many, many blue roofs and many restaurants and some of the motels will not be in operation any time soon.

The blue roofs are tarps spread over the damaged areas.

(The blue is a tarp.)

You may find the place ok, but it will be months before it is anything near normal.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:05 PM

All my family live in the Mobile area, so we trek back and forth through Pensacola. I noticed many less blue tarps two weeks ago (viewing from I-10).
Also, someone reported on this board that the Live Bait restaurant was up and running in GS. It's one of my favorites!.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM

Gotta disagree with Bob Brown on at least one point...most of the restaurants are back up and running. Exceptions are Hooter's, The Fish Net and Island Time, which just disappeared in the storm. Check Meyer, Kaiser and the Phoenix properties for lodging. The town is back up and running, and will probably be better than it was before when we get finished.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:15 AM

I wanted to see if anyone had any more recent updates on the condition of Gulf Shores since March '05. We are thinking about a trip in July. Even if a few condos are repaired, if the area in general is a mess I don't think we want to drive from Houston. The property we stayed in last time was wiped out by Ivan.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:45 PM

cnaff: We spent last weekend (Memorial Day) at GS and had a great time! True, it's not fully up as yet...I was told about 2/3 of the condos/hotels were in operation.
Still alot of building/repairs going on, But the roads are in good shape.

We made a brief stop at the Tanger Center and Coleman Store on the way down.

We enjoyed a night of entertainment at Lulu's and later walked the beach down to the Pink Pony.

The beaches were pretty busy during the day, but the traffic wasn't quite as heavy as I expected! Belle.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:00 AM

Does anyone know the condition of the beaches/condos at Pensacola Beach? We are planning a trip early July. I have business in Pensacola and would like to set up my family at the beach, but if its too bad I will put them up in either Perdido Key (is this area okay) or Fort Walton Beach. Has anyone been to any of these areas lately? My main concerns are the beach/sand conditions, rip tides, debris in the water.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:45 AM
stjohnbound

Do you have reservations yet for early July? If not, you might want to check into it immediately. The Blue Angels air show is on Pensacola Beach during 4th of July weekend so any hotels and condos that are open are already booked. As for the damage, it is severe to say the least. The main core area of the beach is up and running with several restaurants, hotels and condos open. If you venture outside that area you'll see piles of debris from torn down structures and other structures either being repaired or waiting to be torn down. The beaches are being cleaned (sifted). If you're on the Gulf side you always have to watch out for riptides. But, all that being said, I would still stay there if I could find a place to rent. Perdido got hit hard too. Fort Walton is fine but it's Fort Walton - not exactly my favorite place.

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have checked into rooms and will be staying after the fourth. I was leaning toward staying at Eden condos in Perdido Key because the pool and waterfalls looked like fun for my kids, but I have never been there and don't want to pay the big bucks and be disapointed due to remaining Ivan damage.