Grounds for Sculpture

Search

Grounds for Sculpture

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2020, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grounds for Sculpture

While going through stuff, I found a booklet about the above. My art group visited there some years ago and loved it. If you are in the Princeton, NJ general area, this would be an awesome day trip:
https://www.groundsforsculpture.org
At this writing, there are timed entrances. Much is outside. Do call ahead about the resto and other indoor facilities. I'll look for photos.
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Can't find photos yet. Adrienne did a TR in 2008 that's pretty good: https://www.fodors.com
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Found them! This was in 2008. If you go to the site, you'll see even more works, plus seasonal displays. Chihuly was there.

Catch this sculpture "climbing" the foundery building:

Many of the Impressionist pieces were in the Corcoran Gallery in D.C:

I can't remember the name of the artist below:

More Impressionists:

George Segal, 1999

View from the Gallery:

Old Dec 15th, 2020, 06:22 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
TDudette you were not far from my house. I have never visited and thought about going when they reopened this fall but still haven’t. I guess being so close, saying maybe some other time is just too easy to say. I will again put it on my to do list for the Spring.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

If you enjoy art, you will be blown away, sassy27. I have not visited Princeton and hear it's lovely. So often, work and life get in the way of local points of interest.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 01:35 PM

While at Grounds for Sculpture eat at Ratzs a great restaurant on their property. Reservations needed.

Not only does Princeton have a lovely campus for strolling and an Art Museum, it also has sculptures arrange throughout the campus.

Campus Art at Princeton | Princeton University Art Museum
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, SusieQQ. Have looked at the collection section of the link and there are some very famous sculpturers!
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 07:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Those are terrific photos TD - I love the sculptures especially the people and the boat.

And a great place to go at the moment.
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, annhig! As mentioned above, sculptor, Seward Johnson, did a life-sized "Boating Party" with many other mostly Impressionists works. They were shown at the Corcoran gallery in the 1980s and were fabulous. He actually replicated the van Gogh's bedroom---visitor's children played on the bed. It was delightful. A local WAPO reporter totally panned it.
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 07:29 PM

Yay, something to look forward to, thanks for the info!
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Correction, the Johnson exhibit at the Corcoran was in 2003 not 2008.
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Seward Johnson has been on my mind lately. Has anyone been able to visit Grounds for Sculpture yet?

Found this link:

https://www.groundsforsculpture.org/...eward-johnson/
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 06:19 PM

We haven’t visited lately but it’s certainly on the list for a fair weather day. And we’ll happily return to Rats if it’s still in operation.

Less than a mile from my home, our town’s public library has Seward Johnson’s Sunday Morning near the entrance—

Old Jul 17th, 2022, 07:17 PM

Grounds for Sculpture is a favorite place to visit. Always something new. If you're in the area, I highly recommend a visit. Besides the sculptures, which you sometimes need to look for as they may not be in plain sight, the landscaping, peacocks and Rats Restaurant are other highlights.
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 04:24 AM

Thanks for bringing this thread up again. I missed it the first time.
i love the Sunday morning paper sculpture, too
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. For those living in the area, would a long weekend combination of Princeton and the Grounds work?
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 09:49 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TDudette
Thanks all. For those living in the area, would a long weekend combination of Princeton and the Grounds work?
I don't see why not. I get my haircut in Princeton so I don't find the area all that interesting but that is all I do there. I am not interested in the University so it may depend on what you would like or want to do. I also think the restaurants are overpriced but if someone wanted to go, I would take them.

On my local radio station's website this week, they posted Grounds for Sculpture has gone viral on tik tok. Expect more visitors now.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, sassy. Google lists some galleries (my interest), battle sites (not my interest), and Princeton (art there?). Grounds for Sculpture also listed as a Princeton site. Geeze, viral on TT can't be good.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 03:00 PM

Grounds for Sculpture combined with Princeton would be a good destination for a short trip from Maryland, TDudette. I’d secure lunch reservations for Rats and plan to spend the rest of a leisurely day at Grounds for Sculpture. On my agenda for another day would be the art museum on the Princeton campus. (There is handicapped accessible parking suite near the entrance. Phone for information.). Check the schedule for the McCarter Theater Center for theater and musical performances. I’d also look to see if there are guided or self-directed walking tours of the campus. I don’t know about galleries in town. It has been a few years since I last visited.

On my list for next time: Morven Museum and Gardens.

Oh, and of course, you’ll want to be certain you are not scheduling your visit at the same time as a big university event. You don’t want be be competing with a parents’ weekend or graduation.

If you have an extra day and you are interested in going to New York: Grounds for Sculpture is near the NJTransit Hamilton station for the Northeast Corridor line to Penn Station in Manhattan. Senior round trip fare: $14.70. Parking: $8. per day.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, k_marie! The number of chain hotels hint of possible crowds. Lol. "If you have an extra day and you are interested in going to New York: Grounds for Sculpture is near the NJTransit Hamilton station for the Northeast Corridor line to Penn Station in Manhattan. Senior round trip fare: $14.70." That's tempting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -