Ground Zero In New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to NYC in April. Friends want to visit ground zero, you know, where the twin towers used to stand. What is it officially called and where the heck is it??
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:40 PM

It is currently called the World Trade Center, but I think they are going to re-name it Freedom Towner. It isn't a public memorial or park and is currently a huge construction site as they are rebuilding. The site is located in lower Manhattan along Church street between Vessey Street to the north and Liberty Street to the south. It is a huge site, about 2 acres. The best way to get there is by subway, take the E Line (you can pick this up at Penn Station, the Port Authority or via the shuttle at Times Square) and get off at the World Trade Center stop. You can also take the PATH trains from New Jersey, get off at the World Trade Center stop. If going by taxi, as the driver to take you to the World Trade Center. It is around the corner from Wall Street and walkable from South Street Seaport and the ferries to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:56 PM

Actually most of the subway lines will take you to or very close to the World Trade Center site. It is downtown very close to Wall St.

While there you might want to visit St Paul's Chapel, which is just a block away and was the major support facility for all the workers. There is an exhibit there with well wishes from all over the world, and pictures of everything from the attack through search and rescue to recovery.

Also the center piece of the Plaza was a huge globe that somehow survived the buildings landing on it. It was moved to Battery Park, not far way and is a memorial to 9/11 where you can leave flowers or a note. There is also an eternal flame.

You can't leave anything at Ground Zero anymore, the fence surrounding it does have a story board of that day from the first attack.

Almost 5 years later and I still can't quite believe the towers are gone.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:33 AM
P_M

I was fortunate enough to visit the observation deck of the WTC years ago. At that time, who would have believed this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me? Then a year after 9/11 I went to NY again and the my first stop was ground zero. Both are experiences I'll never forget.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:46 AM
GoTravel

I always take the train to City Hall but the subway officially stops at the World Trade Center.

I can't beleive they would rename the towers??

briehon, there is so much downtown please spend some time there: walk the Brooklyn Bridge, take the Staten Island Ferry to view the Statue of Liberty, visit the globe from the twin towers and the eternal flame at Battery Park, visit St. Pauls Chapel, Trinity Church, NYSE (outside only), Fraunces Tavern, Irish Famine Memorial, Winter Garden, City Hall, South Street Seaport, the Federal Building (George Washington was inaugurated here), etc.

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 06:57 AM

We (here in NY) don't refer to it as "Ground Zero" any longer -- simply the "World Trade Center site". "Ground Zero", for me at least, brings back too many memories of complete destruction, devastation and death.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Visit St. Paul's Chapel, the unofficial 9/11 "museum" where rescue workers rested and sought solace in the wake of the terrorist murders.

http://www.saintpaulschapel.org/
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 08:54 AM

If you are truely interested in visiting the site to understand the impact, I might also suggest walking past the firehouse on 8th Avenue and 48th Street. I believe they lost 15 members.

If your interest is in going to "Ground Zero" is because it's on the agenda with other "tourist" destinations in NYC, then never mind that suggestion.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

I don't need to understand the impact. I was personally affected. End of that story. Anyway, for GoTravel...
Are those spots you mentioned doable in one afternoon, cuz that's all I have! Gotta pick up a tour book...any recs?? HA HA
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:17 AM
GoTravel

Yes, they are all downtown in the same area. Totally walkable and totally do-able and a great half day.

The free Ferry ride will probably take almost an hour each way but so worth the time.

For free travel guides to downtown visit www.DowntownNY.com.

Also, free transporation all over downtown.

As far as the term 'Ground Zero' is concerned, many are touchy about it because it is too generic for a very personal issue.