Search

Ground Zero

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ground Zero

Is there still a viewing area for Ground Zero? We're going in July and my daughter wants to visit the site. Is there another area that has been set up as a memorial? Thanks for any info you might have on this.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, it's basically surrounded by viewing areas; the east side (across the street from the Millenium Hilton and Century 21 dept. store has the largest area.

The memorial, like all things relating to the WTC site, is in process...
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:16 PM

The entire area is fenced in and there are pictures hung along the fence for those who wish to view them. Just down towards the water, Wintergarden also has some informative displays regarding suggested new buildings on these sites. If you go to Wintergarden, a good lunch spot inside is Cosi - love their home made bread!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Go the church across the street, there is a lovely memorial set up there.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 05:34 PM

As others have said, the site is really a huge hole in the ground waiting for rebuilding, which is also being delayed.

The chapel that would be a good place to start your visit would be St. Paul's Chapel, on Broadway, it's about a block from the WTC site, and parts of the buildings came down on the graveyard behind the church. This is where many of the workers went when they were too exhusted to continue, they got sleep and food and went right back to work. There is a very moving exhibit of many pictues and words of hope and encouragement all around the church.

Next stop the WTC, and it is just an empty hole. Fencing all around the several square blocks. As you look at the site, to your left is a large building that is being torn down, because it was so badly damaged on 9/11 and I believe it is the largest building ever to be taken down. It is too close to other buildings for any kind of implosion so it is coming down piece by piece.

Contiue walking down toward the south end of the island on Church St, and you will find Battery Park, which is where the temporary memorial is located, including the huge globe that was the center piece of the WTC, it too was badly damaged but survived and is on display with an eternal flame. Many people still leave flowers, cards, pictures and letters.

There is also a memorial located on the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier, part of the museum on the Hudson River in the 50's very close to the Cruise Liners terminal.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:05 PM

I was a Red Cross volunteer at Ground Zero and have returned there several times since my service. I find St. Paul's Chapel to be the place I go to feel the full effect of 9/11. It is truly a building that should not be standing, yet standing it is.

There's not a lot to see at the Towers' site right now but the church still has a very respectful and poignant display of what went on during those first few months after our world changed.

The first time I returned there,I was sitting in a pew and crying quietly when a man approached me. When he identified himself as an associate there, I thought he had come to comfort me. Instead, he seemed to need to tell me his story. (Hey, I'm a mental health counselor...I seem to bring it out of people!)
He explained that he had told his wife (Episcopalian minister) on 9/10 that he was going to resign his post b/c he did not feel needed. What a change in attitude one day later.

Go into this wonderful church...and finish up by taking your daughter to Century 21 across the street! Enjoy the incredible MIX that New York is!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:05 PM

ttt