Search

Gresham, Oregon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gresham, Oregon

Can anyone tell me if this is a nice area? I am interested in doing the Columbia River Gorge this trip and want to be somewhere close to there. Also, any comments on either the Best Western or Hawthorne Suites would be appreciated.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 11:56 AM

We live in the PDX area and have family that lives in Gresham. Gresham is not really a destination city. Most people would prefer to stay further in the Gorge or at least stay at one of the hotels at the Wood Village or Troutdale exits off of I-84. There is also the McMenamins Edgefield in Troutdale which is a lot of fun. You can check it out at www.mcmenamins.com and see what all they have to offer. That would be my first choice for the area.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I'll take a look.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Glad I could help At the Troutdale exit there are some outlets too, so if you like to shop that may be a stopping place for you. If you need any other help with the area just ask.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Yes, a couple more questions about the area. I know you said Gresham wasn't a destination city and I wasn't really thinking about it as such, but more or less just as a base. I know they have a train that goes downtown from there, so I thought it might be convenient. Do you really think this isn't a good place to use as a base? Is Troutdale any better? Also, isn't the gorge just very close by to there? As I have never been up to Portland, I don't really know anything about these areas. Thanks so much for your help.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Yes, it is really close to the Gorge. Will you have a car at all? You will need one to explore the area. The hotels in the more downtown area of Gresham can be decent by themselves, but the surrounding areas can be very questionable at night and such. There are some down by I-84 though and that area would be better. Some are listed as Gresham while others say Wood Villabe...but its basically the same area. Troutdale is just a mile or so further toward the Gorge. It is all a very convenient area and a good place to base yourself. What sorts of things are you looking to do?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your help. Yes, I will have a rental car. Do you know if the Best Western Pony Soldier Inn or Hawthorne Suites are in bad areas? There is also a Hampton Inn in Gresham, but I don't know if that is in a bad area either. I thought the one day I could do Multnomah Falls and the Columbia River Gorge and then on Sunday take a train or drive downtown to visit the market etc. This is only a short weekend trip and I'm in LA, so I can always come up and do another trip easily. Other suggestions would be welcome. Is this attempting too much or should I just concentrate on Portland itself?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:38 PM

I double checked, and the Best Western in Gresham is in a so-so location. I still wouldnt go out at night, but thats just me. Its a busy area and will probably be a bit noisy. There is a BW in Troutdale though that would be a much better place to stay location wise and for noise, etc.

Also in Troutdale is a Holiday Inn Express that would be good.

If you want to be in Gresham, there is a Shilo Inn on Hogan Ave that is a short, direct shot to I-84. It is in a better area than the other Gresham hotels.

You can definitely do a few things in the Gorge one day and then downtown PDX the next. Multnomah Falls and some other viewing or short hikes would be a perfect day trip. In the evening I would go to McMenamins at the Edgefield (right there in Troutdale). They have a lot of summer concerts and special things going on and it would be a perfect addition to your day.

PDX is really easy as far as driving around in. Some cities are confusing to tourists, but PDX is pretty easy. The farmers market on saturday mornings at PSU is fun, if you decide to swap which day you do the gorge. The saturday/sunday market is fun too, but I prefer the farmers market.

I hope I haven't confused you too much on the hotels. Basically if you find a hotel check the location on the map and if it is in downtown Gresham, think twice, but if it is right near I-84 it will be a much better location.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:56 PM

We have stayed in Gresham countless times over the past 10 years and have never had any problems at all.
We have stayed at the Hampton and the Hawthorn and they are both perfectly fine. I would say the rate would be the deciding factor for me. 59.00 or so for a moderate/budget Gresham hotel if you look hard... that's what we always paid at the Hampton.
More than that, I would consider nicer hotels.
We have also stayed at the airport, which we consider well located. We stayed at the LaQuinta which was very, very nice with excellent service and very cheap.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Glad you haven't had any problems. However I also checked with my sister who lives in Gresham and they wouldn't stay in certain parts either. Things have changed quite a bit in that town over even the last 3 years or so. I just would not feel right steering anyone to an area that I myself wouldnt stay at.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks TX for your input too. I was also wondering what the airport area was like. Is it rough or ok? I see there is a SpringHill Suites airport location and they are usually good hotels. MMS, can you comment on that area too? I realize these are not the most "scenic" areas, but for a short weekend trip, I think would be ok for what I am coming up to do. How long do you need to drive to the Gorge area? I can easily swap days and do the farmers market on Saturday, but was just concerned about getting back to airport for my evening flight home on Sunday. I appreciate all of the help. I will check out the locations of the hotels.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:19 PM

As far as staying at a hotel near the airport, it will afford you easy access to I-84 east into the Columbia River Gorge and the bypass (US 30) into downtown Portland. One bonus is close access to a park and ride lot where you can leave your car and ride MAX into the city. I always like downtown on foot.

It's not a scary area, but is mostly industrial. You won't find a gas station or many restaurants until several exits either north or south along I-205.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:08 AM

The airport is a very decent clean area... at least compared to almost every other airport I have been to.
Maybe it is from an outsiders perspective. Coming from Dallas and traveling all over the US, I do not see the hotels around I84 and 181st to be scary or "iffy" at all... not at all.
The area is typically "highway suburban". Not much around.
I had no plans to walk around this area, we just stay there when visiting family in Gresham. I have never seen even one scary person around that Hampton.
The road that leads out of the airport turns into 181st eventually, so it's easy to find. The exit to go to the Multnomah Falls area is just a few miles away.
Like I said, it may just be that I have seen scary... outside the door of my 5 star hotels in ATL, NYC and San Francisco as a matter of fact.
I have even been scared in downtown Portland in the early evening headed back to my hotel (Embassy Suites) from Saturday Market... loads of homeless on that end of downtown.
The little outlet mall in Gresham always seems to have something to buy, even though it is a small outlet mall compared to most.
Have a great time... it's a wonderful place to explore!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:56 AM

Deborah--The airport area is perfectly fine, just a tad further from the Gorge area is all, but only by about 10-15 minutes. As far as how much time to allow for the Gorge it just depends on what you plan to do. I personally could spend days upon days there, but I love to hike and there is so much of that in the area.

TxTravelPro--I have seen a lot too. We have lived all over the country and travel abroad a lot as well. That said I still would not stay in certain areas. But that is just my opinion.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Almost forgot...a good website for the area is www.gorgeexplorer.com. That may help you decide what you want to see.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

I found a decent rate at Hawthorne Suites in Gresham. The Holiday Inn in Troutdale is a little bit more, but I'm willing to pay it if that area is a little nicer. It gets a couple of good reviews on Tripadvisor. So, here I go again, can you help me decide which place? I think I'll pass on the airport area for this trip at least. Thanks again for the input. Also, do you how far it is to Cascade Locks from PDX? I see there is a Best Western there too.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Troutdale is right on the Hwy into the Gorge and also the Historic Hwy above the gorge - I would recomend staying there much more than Gresham - Stay by the Aiport if budget is a concern as it will be just as quick to go up the Gorge from around PDX as it will be from Gresham!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Seems like Troutdale is more of the choice. Thanks to everyone for all of the recommendations.