Greetings from South Louisiana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a beautiful day here in Baton Rouge with highs in the 80's and cooler nights.
Things are beginning to improve here as we adjust to our increase in population. Over the past 6 weeks, we have seen such a wonderful outpouring of support from many of you around the world. Please know that it is truly appreciated and will never be forgotten. Yes, our lives have changed but our spirit is strong as we continue to help those who suffered such tragic losses.

I haven't seen a New Orleans mention on this board in several weeks. Please don't forget us. New Orleans is coming back. I just read that the Monteleone Hotel will be open on Monday and several favorite restaurants are serving again. Mardi Gras is on schedule as well. Consider a visit - New Orleans is and always will be such a special place to all of us.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:37 AM
JJ5

I have had the same thought several times, DownSouth. We near Chicago still have about 80 evacuees at loose ends in our housing. One gentlemen went back yesterday to get things he can salvage, but plans on coming back to Chicago. Some others are going to return to Louisana soon, but they don't know if it will be in NO where they were before.
None of these people were home owners.

We are still working everyday to bring the right things to the right people and it seems like the media only "knows" the soundbite or dramatic story which can cause the most disharmony. But where are they to record the "boring" drugery or endless years of work that solve the root problems- person to person. Throwing money at the problem doesn't solve the cycles of poverty, only good and energetic role models do.

NOW is the time the cameras should be on NO and the Gulf Coast States that were knocked out by Katrina or Rita. Rebuilding energy and innovation are going to be peak soon, hang in there. And you'll get your tourists back again because there will always be those that want to party.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:42 AM

According to this morning's Austin American-Statesman:

"After the longest break in its 153-year history, Cafe Du Monde will once again fill New Orleans' Jackson Square with the luscious smell of beignets and rich, chicory coffee."

They are getting ready to open next week.

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Hi Downsouth,
I've been in touch with people from the Baton Rouge CVB, USS Kidd, and bus companies this week. All have assured me that there will be no problem with our ship's reunion scheduled in Baton Rouge next year. We're looking forward to a side trip to the D-Day museum in NO and lunch cruise on the Natchez..
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:45 PM

We're still planning on spending a few days touring the plantations in March.

We haven't forgotten about you all!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the update, DownSouth. Please know that we are not forgetting about any of the folks in NOLA or southern LA, much less those affected in MS, AL and east TX.

Thoughts and prayers that everyone gets back to normal soon.