what about knoxville?

Search

what about knoxville?

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about knoxville?

trying to decide where to retire. knoxville looks good, any thoughts on this one? love to hear from all of you.
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:23 PM

What about it?

www.retirementliving.com
www.money.cnn.com/retirement
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:21 PM
JJ5

Some very good friends from my youth moved to an area very close to Knoxville, but not in it. This was about 15 years ago, and at the time he had about 10 years in on the Chicago Police Force. He was a great street cop. And his wife worked for Donnelly's when it was still downtown.

Her entire extended family moved with them to that area from Chicagoland.

I visited them once and it is,IMHO, in the prettiest part of the state. I do know that the ex-cop had a long, hard road getting another job that held a good salary. I think he worked 3 different jobs for the first 5 or 6 years he was there. He told me that his Yankee accent hurt him. That I do believe. They ended up adopting an Asian boy and are still happy as clams that they moved. When they come up here to visit, the three of them love to see people's faces when the strong accent comes out of this very small statured Asian boy, between his two 6 foot plus Scandanavian looking parents.

He now works for Mars/M&M/Twix as a Manager in the big factory near Knoxville.

As a retiree, not needing to find work, I would think it would be terrific. Housing is very inexpensive compared to other areas and taxes are less. They are a small fraction of what I pay near Chicago. I just got my property tax bill and I think I may have to be out of here soon.

Do know that they have no zoning laws that I could see. There was a paper factory next to a house, next to a farm, etc. But in Knoxville itself this didn't seem as much of a notable detriment, as it did by some of the areas surrounding it.

This culture has much, much more sociability that revolves around church functions than what I am used to. It is the land of a hundred different churches, many having very small congregations. Also, I would plan on renting and staying in the area you think you would want to retire to for at least a 4 season year. It is conservative politically, but IMHO not as right as coastal people assume. Yes, that's just a value judgment.

Knoxville and that area may be one of the retirement treasures that are out there to yet discover. If you come across again great spring-fed lakes, than put it up on Fodors, as I would sure be interested. And they did teach me how to clog.
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:24 PM

A friend moved to Seymour, a small town outside Knoxville and they love it. Beautiful hilly countryside.
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:41 PM

My in-laws moved from Chicago suburbs to Knoxville in the 70s for my father-in-law's medical residency. They fully intended to return to Chicago when he was done. Guess what? They're still there! They made a lot of good friendships that are still intact today.

Knoxville is nestled near the mountains, which is very nice. It's a pretty area. Housing is affordable and the cost of living is reasonable, too. The arts scene isn't big but it is pretty good.

Knoxville is home of the Univ. of Tennesse and on game days, it is a sea of orange. UT fans take their football very seriously. I'm not kidding! They are very, very loyal and some of them live and die by it.

Knoxville is not a big city, so if you like the hustle and bustle of one, it won't suit you. But it looks like a lot of retirees enjoy living there. My grandma-in-law (not sure if that is a word!) in Chicago is good friends with a couple that moved from her neighborhood to retire in Knoxville some years ago. They love it and they have an active lifestyle.

I'd suggest you go visit and see for yourself. If anything, you can head into the mountains for some relaxation!
Old May 28th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Knoxville is a nice size town which is 60 miles from my retirement location. Have you heard of Fairfield Glade Tn which is beside Crossville. It is a beautiful place with many lakes and golf courses. Have been here 10 years and came from cincinnati. Would not leave for anything.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

TNNURSE, yes we have been to Fairfield Glade, in March we took a tour. Very nice place. We really don't want to own a house that we are responsible for upkeep. We want to have a place to call home, but travel and not be there 12 months a yr. Really looking for retirement village, very possibly apts.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 04:46 AM

Have you had any luck locating apts. in the Knoxville area? We're planning on doing this and would like to hear from someone who has seen the areas for renting. We're planning a trip there in Oct., some pre-info. would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:03 PM

Oh my goodness!!!

I just love Knoxville, TN...as
a-matter-of-fact I was born there.

Up until the age of 18 I used to spend every summer in TN. Then, of course I started college and working etc, etc...

Now, I live in Philadelphia, and I really don't like it...but, my job is here so...

But, if given the chance I'd definitely pack-up and gladly relocate to Knoxville.

I may live up North, but I'm a true Southerner at heart...