TN Trio of Terror in Chicago: And no hotdogs in sight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TN Trio of Terror do Chicago: Or why did I come all this way and not get to eat a Chicago Dog??

The players: Saundra AKA The Great Communicator; Amy AKA The Trip Nazi, Kayla AKA Miss Bossy (Saundra's 8 year old granddaughter) and Sharon AKA The Long Suffering Friend. Oh, and Josefina, Kayla's American Girl Doll.

The place: Chicago 9/9-9/11

The hotel: Hotel 71 for $199 per night plus $30 taxes

The airline: Southwest, direct from Nashville to Midway for around $100 round-trip

Prologue: Amy arranged our trip to Chicago which was meant to be a treat for her niece Kayla. She particularly wanted to go to the American Girl Store. Saundra and Sharon went along to provide the credit cards. Before the trip, Amy asked each one of us what we wanted to do. We already knew what Kayla wanted; Saundra wanted to buy fine jewelry; and Sharon wanted to eat a Chicago Dog. Guess who never got her wish?

FRIDAY: We arrive without incident in Chicago, hop into a taxi and go straight to hotel to check in. Hotel 71 is great, big rooms, lovely linens, nice products in bathroom. Then march (and I do mean march – the Trip Nazi would not allow any detours) immediately to American Girl Store as we have reservations for tea at 4. Arrive early so Josefina (the doll) gets her hair done ($20 to make one braid into two – I knew I was in the wrong line of work). Then go into tea. Josefina gets to sit in a little chair at the table and has a tiny teacup placed in front of her. The rest of us are served tiny sandwiches (think 6 slices of bread, a slice of cucumber and some egg salad) followed by teeny desserts. Saundra and Sharon snort down a couple of glasses of champagne. Then, the bill arrives: $90 – the horror, the horror. Although we do get to keep the scrunchies that doubled as napkin rings. This now rivals Le Clip in overpriced merchandise. But Kayla was happy.

Then out to the store to make many overpriced purchases. Kayla buys new doll, Marisol, for which she has been saving for months. Clutching our scrunchies we make our way back to the hotel with a slight detour to Marshall Fields on Michigan where Amy bought herself a new crown jewel.

That night Amy says we must go to Giordano's for stuffed pizza. Saundra was still in shock from the tea but managed to scarf down a few pieces (just to be polite). It's good but we are exhausted. We go to the fountain outside to cool our dogs which are barking after today's forced march. Once again, no wheeled vehicles for the Trip Nazi. When we ask her where things are, her stock answer is "just a few blocks". And I'm the Queen of England – oh your majesty! On the way home, we stop at the Moonstruck Chocolate Café where I purchase some delicious candy – white and dark chocolate squares sandwiched together with a lemon peel filling. Delicious. Unfortunately, Saundra loves them too and I leave them in her room by accident and they are never seen again despite various attempts on my part to ransom them.

My pedometer registers 6 miles today as I fall into a benedryl and pizza induced stupor.

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

SATURDAY: We awake early and go to the little café next door to fortify ourselves for the day's agenda: SHOPPING!!!! We work our way to Marshall Fields, Nordstrom's Rack, Carson Pirie Scott and everything in between. Break for lunch at Marshall Fields and then resume shopping. By 3 PM Saundra and Sharon are fading and whining so Amy says we can go back to the hotel and rest up before dinner. I did manage to buy lovely pink tourmaline earrings for 60% off at Carson, Pirie Scott. Saundra was able to drag her little self over to the fine jewelry counter at MF and purchase a simple little ruby and diamond ring as well. I held that hand up for her as I dragged her lifeless body back to the hotel.

Back at the hotel, Kayla begs to give us foot massages. This is no joke. This kid knows what she's doing: L'Occitane foot cream, hot towels, the works! Who cares about child labor laws? Rub those feet! Kathy Lee Gifford has nothing over us. Kayla almost lost her halo though when she suggested redoing Josefina’s new $20 hairdo…Saundra said she was not allowed to touch that doll’s head in her presence.

But rest time is brief for Amy says we have to change clothes and go to the Italian Village for dinner. So we grease up and struggle into our dinner outfits and march on over to the restaurant which believe me is more than "just a few blocks". We have a great dinner which includes garlic bread, salads, entrees, desserts, extra desserts and a bottle of wine: all for only $111. No scrunchies included but we enjoyed it anyway. I wore the bread basket instead. Funny thing, without the bottle of wine, it would have been less than the tea at American Girl Store with about a ton more food. I guess you have to pay for ambience.

Today's mileage is about 5.5 miles, really nothing when you think about it.

Also, Kayla wanted Josefina to stay in my room tonight. That doll kept me up all night long: making phone calls, ordering room service, watching TV, etc. I was exhausted the next day.

P.S. Don't use the 20xxx mirror in the bathroom unless you want the shock of your life. Who put those waffle fries under my eyes? And here I thought I was just a carbon copy of a young Elizabeth Taylor. More like an old Keith Richards in that mirror. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Oh, and guess what? Still no dog.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

SUNDAY: I forgot to mention that yesterday we all bought about $200 worth of Frangos at Marshall Fields. We heard there was going to be a chocolate famine in Tennessee so we wanted to be prepared.

We check out of the hotel and ask the bellman to hold onto our luggage which now includes the extra suitcases we packed in our carryons. They also print out our boarding passes so we can be in Group A when we arrive at the Southwest Gate. I hate being in the last group for that cattle call.

Then it's just a brief jaunt to the Art Institute (just a few blocks according to Amy). The admission is $12 for adults and $7 for kids. They have a special exhibit on Tolouse Lautrec but that's an extra $18 so we decide against it. Kayla can only take about 1 ˝ hours anyway so we go first to the Thorne Rooms and then to a photography exhibit on Paris. As you might remember, the TN Trio "did" Paris in March so it was fun to see some of the places we had been. Also hit the Impressionists on the way out the door with a brief stop at the giftshop.

Did I mention it's about a million degrees in Chicago with humidity to match? And did I mention that Amy failed to tell us about the free trolley? Luckily, by this time, Saundra had come to and she insisted on taking the trolley over to Water Tower Place. Actually, we were going to try and go to Pertillo's for a Chicago Dog but when we found out from the driver that the nearest stop would still leave us 1 mile from there, I made the ultimate sacrifice and said (with hand to brow) "that's okay, I don't need a hotdog" followed by heavy sighing. I figure Amy will owe me and I'll be able to call in that favor at a moment's notice.

So we wander around, mostly hitting chocolate stores and end up at the California Pizza Kitchen for lunch.

After that, it's time to go back to the hotel, collect our bags and make our way to the airport. An uneventful flight home and the TN Trio of Terror (plus one – Kayla) go back to their mundane little lives, awaiting their next big adventure.

I still want that Chicago Dog!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Hey SharonG! Nice report. Glad you had fun in Chicago. You will have to go back for that hotdog.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:02 AM
JJ5

Carson's is my favorite store. Love the yellow dot sale.

My grand daughters have 3 or 4 of those dolls and I hear their histories quite often.

SW is so easy for these trips, come back again!

You wouldn't be HOT today.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Indytravel. No foie gras but one makes do.....
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Hey JJ5, I'm planning on coming back. I used to live in Michigan and would go to Chicago often but haven't been there in 20 years till last weekend. I forgot how much I liked that town.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:15 AM

I'll have to admit, I was (secretly) really happy when my 12 YO suddenly outgrew the American Girl doll thing. It did wonders for our cash flow....

SharonG - I know it isn't quite the same, but you can order the Chicago-style hot dog kit to be sent to you:

http://www.deepdishpizza.com/vendors/vienna/
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Sharon-what a fun report-glad you had fun-come again soon! (and bring your big spending friends!)
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

UUUHHH, Ms. Go, You may be in the will.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:24 AM

LOL! I love this ~ made me laugh out loud (not at you, but with you, of course!).

Perhaps next time dear Josefina & Amy should have a play date in TN while you are galavanting the country!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Sharon,

Don't cut me out of the will...I want those new earrings of yours! I tried to get you the dog, it was Saundra who said we should do the trolley instead of a taxi!

Amy
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Amy: Don't try to blame your mother! You know you are the all powerful Trip Nazi and we must obey. We are putty (Silly Putty?) in your hands.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:03 PM

great report as usual - where did you go for the italian dinner? would you recommend it? I'm going for a weekend at the end of October.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Yay! I love your trip reports; what a great treat on a Friday!

Thank you!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:04 PM

>>I'll have to admit, I was (secretly) really happy when my 12 YO suddenly outgrew the American Girl doll thing. It did wonders for our cash flow.... <<

We made our girls save their money and buy their own dolls! $90 for tea? My word...

Great trip report, Sharon! Seems like there should be some way to combine the scrunchie and Le Clip into a fabulous 'do.

Lee Ann
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Maybe my math is wrong, but it looks more like Quintet of Terror, not a trio. Or, if Count Le Clip - a Sextet!

But then, in accounting department everybody is so technical...
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:04 PM
JJ5

I will NOT pay for a ribbon on AG Dolls and haven't been for tea either.

I'm the theatre Grandma.

And the ones who outgrew American Girl went on to something worse. My Psyche has blocked out the name but it rhymes.

It's in Oakbrook. It features little girls makeover/dress up birthday parties. My 10 year old has been to three of these already that classmates have given. UUUUUUGh!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 03:29 PM

What a FUN REPORT!
Must have been a FUN TRIP!
Memories to last a lifetime.
Thanks for posting!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 03:46 PM

I am still laughing, thank you Sharon!

I had not heard about the possible chocolate famine in Tenn but I think I will remember that in case Portland is threatened with one...Frangos?

So how did the bread basket look ? lol...I cut off all my hair this past summer but it is growing out, so I would like to be in the Will too, I want Le Clip.

Let's hear more about the Crown Jewel that Amy got!

Take another trip soon, please, Sharon, I so enjoy these reports!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -