Green Valley Interview

Search

Green Valley Interview

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green Valley Interview

I have a job interview in Green Valley. If I am offered a job how much of a commute would it be from Tucson? Is the traffic insane?
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Green Valley is about 25 minutes from the south side of Tucson, but it could be an hour (or more depending on traffic) from the far northeast part of Tucson. Traffic on Highway 19 is divided with two lanes each way. Depending on the time of day it can be busy, but I much prefer it to Highway 10 in Tucson. Depends on how much traffic you are used to as to if it is insane or not. Tucson airport is on the south side and quite close to 19, so it is easier and faster to get to/from the airport from GV than the foothills of Tucson.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you CollegeMom. It sounds like maybe I would be happier finding a house in Green Valley or Sahuarita. I hear there is a big kid friendly community in Sahuarita...I wonder how strict the HOA is. My husband hates to be told how to keep his yard and we are use to big open spaces with a lot of privacy. We'd love a house with an acre...but I don't know if we really want desert land. Ha!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Sahuarita would probably offer more acre properties and is not age restricted(55 or older)as are many parts of Green Valley. Most lots are desert landscaped which is really all that survives well there, and it requires minimum work---no grass cutting! Any nondesert plants need irrigation systems to survive but most homes have such systems. As for HOA enforcement, most associations do enforce the CC&Rs since many people buy into specific areas because of the regulations. Sahuarita has a lot of families and many recent developments. Madera Reserve ( and maybe Shadows)has acre lots, but I think restrictions require that the non house part remain desert. Check on line for real estate in Green Valley or Sahuarita to get idea of lot size, prices and restrictions. Can provide excellent real estate agent reference if interested. You should have many choices if you decide to buy since it is a buyers' market.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Just curious. I am a gardener and love growing veggies,flowers, and fruits. Does anything grow in Tucson? I assume many people container garden there...is a garden or orchard unrealistic?
Thank you CollegeMom I'll let you know if I need an agent recommendation...I don't have the job yet. ha!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Momn3: Good luck with your interview! When is it? There are many orange, lemon and grapefruit trees that grow with irrigation in individual’s yards. Lemons and grapefruit are often so plentiful people put bags of them out at the curb free for the taking or sell them at yard sales. Also roses, oleander, Mexican Bird of Paradise, Mexican Honeysuckle, and other woody type plants do very well in the spring on a drip system. They last all year but bloom mainly in the spring. Pansies, petunias, carnations and those types of flowers do well in pots also on the drip system. Cactus also bloom beautifully and are easy to grow without a drip system. Vegetables would be mostly late winter/early spring before the heat, but there are so many shipped fresh daily from Mexico, I don’t know anyone who grows their own. The grocery stores have fresh produce, but there are also people selling fresh produce from stands. The stands often carry the produce that is too ripe for commercial shipping, but it is great for immediate use, and the prices are lower.It is very easy to get used to all the fresh produce and minimal yard work! Good luck!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 11:00 AM

Rancho Sahuarita is a wonderful community. I am not sure how strict their HOA is but I know many people who live with in the community and love it. Here is a link, http://www.ranchosahuarita.com/. Sahuarita has some excellent schools.

We have many farmer's markets here at which you can find a lot of locally grown produce. You will do well with most container plants and plants that don't mind full sun or heat. Bird of Paradise grows of its own volition here. If you plant one bird of paradise, by season's end, you will have twenty.

They have a great Pecan grower in Sahuarita, as well as some small growers.

Here is my one pet peeve. The myriad of people who say Suh - rita instead of pronouncing it correctly Saw-wah-rita. I understand when non-natives who are first visiting mispronounce it but you would be surprised how many newscatsers and announcers mangle it, even having lived here for a long time.

Good luck with your interview and acquiring the job.

Adios,

Bit
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Interview is the end of October. Eek! I am having a difficult time with the housing around there...but I am sure I'll find something. Looks like I'll learn the art of container gardening. ha! Does anyone know what crime is like in that area? I've heard Tucson is high. I suppose this is why people like gated communities there?
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:52 PM

If you are looking for a hotel for your stay there are several in GV. Best Western (520-625-2250); Holiday Inn Express (520-625-0900) are basic hotels and Inn at San Ignacio (520-393-5700)or Wyndham Canoa Ranch Resort (520-382-0461) would be more upscale. There are many hotels in Tucson just off the 10/19 highway which are also basic. Crime is all relative so compared to what? Like any large urban city, there are areas that are less safe than others. Crime is much less in GV than Tucson, and if the interview is there, it might be more convenient for you at stay in GV and drive into Tucson for sightseeing.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Good luck with the interview! There are quite a few homes up for sale in Sahuarita. If you go to www.tarmls.com and do a search specific to sahuarita, you will find 174 listings.

As for crime in the area, Sahuarita is a small community, as is Green Valley, so the crime rates will be lower. In Tucson, there are pockets which are considerably higher in criminal activity but overall Tucson is a relatively safe city.

Adios y buen suerte,

Bit