Göreme Area Valleys

Search

Göreme Area Valleys

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Göreme Area Valleys

I'll be visiting Göreme this spring. Might anyone know if I can easily walk *to* the Güllüdere/Rose Valley from Göreme, and once there, hike the valley floor or upper rim? My guidebook states that Rose Valley is between Çavuşin and Kızılçukur viewpoint, but I cannot find an online map showing the valley's exact location. My preference is to hike independently rather than part of a guided tour. I've also read that visitors can get an area map at hotels or tourist agencies in Göreme, but I am trying to do a little planning before arriving in Turkey. Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 06:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Give us a hint at least. How long has it been since you started walking? Does yor job involve walking? does your family life involve walking? How long can you run if someone chases you? Do you think that you can get away if Cold or Adu chases you?

Also please define "easily". in terms of speed, length of time, length of pace, slope, road or path surface, climate, availability of food and/or water, walking aids, etc.

Old Feb 12th, 2011, 06:48 AM

lamogood: ms_go and I are in our mid-40s and reasonably fit walkers/hikers (not expert, but not couch-potatoes either).

To us, the Rose Valley is very walkable from Goreme; we only saw one end of it (we were there late in the day) and then flew over it in a balloon. If you're extremely energetic and up for a full day of hiking, I believe you could do both the Rose and Love valleys in one day. We actually started a hike into the (spectacular) Love valley about 10:30 and hit the town of Cavusin near the north end by about 12:30. From there, you can walk down into the Rose valley. We chose to take the more direct route back to Goreme, as we'd been up early for a balloon ride and were a little tired and hungry.

Our full trip report is here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...cappadocia.cfm

Our aerial pix of Rose Valley:
http://onelittleworld.zenfolio.com/p87385194

A few of our Love Valley/Cavusin pix:
http://onelittleworld.zenfolio.com/p852736119
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Wow - not sure I have the answer to all of those questions, although I could probably run away from most forum members if they were chasing me (just joking). In any case, I wasn't so much asking about the hiking part, as I was the distance between Rose Valley and Göreme, as well as the basic size of Rose Valley. Since I can't find an online or guidebook map, I don't know if Rose Valley is 2 miles or 20 miles from Göreme; and I don't know how large the valley is. I could rent a car for the day if needed, and I suppose I could wait until I arrive in Göreme for a map - just hoping to have a basic itinerary before arriving. Thanks again.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
iamogood, how is your Turkish now?

after all those lessons last May, you should be ready for an examination, which i can give you if you want a certificate of proficiency. -
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

I'll need to dig up my old forum thread and start those Turkish lessons again. You had helped me study last year in preparation for a visit to Turkey. Then, on the very morning I was to depart, the airline called to tell me the Iceland volcano was still erupting. Trip canceled, and I stopped practicing Turkish. I'll make a second attempt this May, and will likely have more language questions soon. Thanks again for the help.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 07:44 AM

I found it difficult to get good maps, even from my hotel, so it is good to do some advance research--especially since the hikes were one of the highlights of my trip!
If you are of reasonable fitness, you can definitely walk to the Rose valley from Goreme--you can access it on the road that goes to the Open air Museum.
I walked from Goreme to Uchisar, and from there to Cavusin (the love valley--I agree, spectacular!). It was then that we began heading back to Goreme and knew we did not have a good enough map (or the stamina) to get through the Rose valley, so we just sort of "skirted" it back to the Goreme road. That was a long day!
Another walk I highly recommend is the Ilhara Valley.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 07:55 AM

We hiked the Ilhara valley, during an August visit. After leaving Goreme, heading toward Konya. It was a hot day, not a lot of greenery, and we take a turn-off to head down into the valley. We pass through a small, neat little village and see, down below, lush greenery...an oasis!

After parking, we decide to do a hike to a few of the cave churches. It is an easy hike, along a stream. Paths are well worn and marked, flat ground mostly. A couple of times we had to scramble around some large boulders to continue on the path. The caves are quite interesting. You do need to climb up to them, but to be there, and sense the history, was something. (My one pet peeve is the graffiti. I would passionately handle anyone I saw drawing on these caves..ok, rant over).

After we got back to the parking area, we wanted to eat and found a restaurant with a platform over the stream. The platform was big enough for ~8 people and covered in oriental carpets so we ate barefoot. Fish was our choice (from the stream?). On a hot august day, this was blissful.