Great Smoky Mountains

Search

Great Smoky Mountains

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Smoky Mountains

Hello. We will be visiting the Great Smoky Mountains Oct 8 thru Oct 12. I thought we would spend the first day at Great Smoky National Park. I would like to take an all day tour that I found on the second day (Sights of the Smokies). The third day, I thought we would drive thru Cades Cove and possibly visit Christ of the Smokies. I have us spending the fourth day at Dollywood and the final day will probably be spent back at Great Smoky National Park. Does this sound like a good plan or would there be better options for us. We love to walk around and view nature but we are not really hikers. I have not booked a place to stay yet but was thinking that a cabin would be nice...any suggestions? We have never been to this area before and could use all the suggestions we can get. Thank you!!!!
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 02:40 PM

You need to book a place NOW 'cause that is prime leaf season.
If you want the tour, it is fine but seems unneccessary for the Smokies.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 06:18 AM

Unless you are nervous about driving in the mountains, I would skip the guided tour. There are plenty of places to pull off and enjoy views, trails, and historic sites. I recommend checking out this link for maps of the park: https://www.nps.gov/grsm/

Cades Cove is a definite must, but traffic can be heavy so allow yourselves plenty of time to enjoy this area.

We've not rented a cabin in the area, but there are literally dozens on VRBO.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 09:55 AM

These are more "walks" than "hikes" and offer plenty of beautiful scenery.

9 Easy Hikes in the Smoky Mountains to Add to Your Outdoor Bucket List
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 11:22 AM

We agree with the above ideas about booking now as October is the busiest season. If you have a car, there's no need to get a tour. The Smokies aren't that large. Drop by a Visitors' Center and pick up a park map and info that will give highlights in the area. We usually carry drinks along, and stop by a deli in town to pick up a lunch to eat at our convenience as we travel through the park. There are so many scenic places in the mountains to stop and enjoy.

Not sure how many are in your party, just two or more? One company we have used in the past and found reliable is Mountain Laurel Chalets. Their office is on Ski Mountain Road. They have chalets of various sizes, prices, and locations.
There are a myriad number of hotels and motels along the main drag of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. However, we prefer a location outside either city as our focus is on the mountains and not on the shopping or various entertainment venues.

We think the Smokies are beautiful, and hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 03:33 PM

Gretchen is correct...book now as it will be extremely crowded that time of year. You might want to think about spending one night in Pigeon Forge rather than return back to Gatlinburg. Traffic will be awful in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Cades Cove...so expect that and be patient. I would recommend getting to Cades Cove early because as the day goes on traffic will be lined up for miles.

There are lots of opportunities to stop and see great views along Newfound Gap Road as you drive up to Clingman's Dome. If you do want to venture out on the trails, here's a good reference for easy hikes: Best Easy Hikes Great Smoky Mountains National Park | Easy Smokies Hikes

That's a beautiful time of year to visit...enjoy!
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 03:54 PM

There are other portals to the Smokies than Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Even Cherokee on the south side. People here like Townsend. Even staying in Dillsboro. there's a lovely B&B near the Cades Cove area. ANYwhere away from Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge!!
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you...I booked a place to stay.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the advice. We are getting excited for our trip even though it seems a long way off. I booked a cabin, so our lodging has been taken care of. I have changed some of my plans (we will not be taking the tour) and we will taking some of the easier trails. I am trying to come up with a list of "rain day" ideas. Any suggestions? Again, thank you so much for the help.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 11:39 AM

Visit the arts and craft community just outside of Gatlinburg.

Gatlinburg's Historic Great Smoky Arts & Crafts Community Trail
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I just added this to our list of things to do on our trip.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 09:39 AM

We went to the Tuckaleechee caverns and really enjoyed it. It's not everyday you can go in a cave.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 04:43 PM

Another rainy day suggestion: the Titanic Museum in Pigeon Forge. Hope you have beautiful, sunny autumn days, but, just in case, we think it's a good idea to have some back-up activities.
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:08 PM

Its a beautiful time to witness such a lovely weather. have a good time