NASHVILLE TN & Mountains

Search

NASHVILLE TN & Mountains

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2015, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NASHVILLE TN & Mountains

My wife and I are planning trip To Tn for first time to visit area. we will be coming from Houston area. plan on spending 3-4 days in Nashville area but also would like few days in mountain region etc. we both like nature, hiking so would like few suggestions on where to go from Nashville for more outdoors adventure . we have 8-10 days total time including driving to & from so we are hoping to see the Mountains....willing to drive further out 2-3 hrs if needed. many thks !!
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 04:35 AM

When do you plan to travel to Nashville?
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 05:28 AM

When I think of Nashville, it's more of a rolling hills type of terrain and not mountains - although compared to Houston, they may seem like it. It's in a geologic "basin," so there are ridges around it that might attract you.

Otherwise, perhaps you could head to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It's not really a day trip, think it's about 4 hours or so. Here is the Park Service link to it: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 05:47 AM

I agree, I think "real" mountains are further away that you're wanting to drive. You could look at Chattanooga/Lookout Mountain about 2 hours away which have pretty good views and outdoor options, and Chattanooga itself is a very pleasant small city. Or you could dip down into the north GA mountain areas if you're willing to drive a little further.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 07:43 AM

I do think a visit to the Park is worth the extra drive and, if you like the outdoors, worth a 2-3 nights' stay. There are different options on where to stay though. Townsend is billed as being on the "quiet side" of the Smokies. Having stayed there, I agree with that assessment. The downside to Townsend is that there are fewer places to eat nearby and you are somewhat cut off from other areas of the Park in my opinion, but if you're only staying for a few days, I don't think that's a deal breaker. You are relatively close to Cade's Cove--a lovely (although often crowded) area of the Park with an interesting history and a scenic drive (there are two mornings a week during the bulk of the year that the drive is closed to vehicles).

Alternatively, you could stay in or near Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg is typically crowded and is arguably pretty tacky. But there are numerous restaurants and some shopping. I've stayed there as well (in a very nice rental cabin) and while it can get on my nerves, I do like that there are more places to eat nearby and that it's a bit more conveniently located in terms of the Park itself. We really like to hike, so being able to easily reach numerous trailheads over a weeklong stay is important to us.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

yes to clarify, that would be the next leg of our trip...Mountains...2-3 days doable after Nashville area visit. just wanted opinions on whether to head to Smokey Mtn Region or towards Chattanooga area as few have suggested and read in other reports. will decide after few more replys....just never been in area so opinions are appreciated. thks for responses so far.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

going july 2--10th or 11th or so.