Great Italian in LA??

Oct 1st, 2003, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Great Italian in LA??

We are going to be in LA next week and want to treat our daughter to a great Italian meal -no offense, but not lasagna or spaghetti and meatballs. Any suggesttions?? She is in Westchester, but we can travel.........
Oct 1st, 2003, 05:25 PM

Aside from Valentino in Santa Monica, which is always just right, we like Il Moro in West L.A. on a side street off Olympic Blvd. that would fit your request (don't be put off that it's part of an office building complex, it's nice inside and has a great patio and incredibly good food). Another very pretty and tasty option is Il Cielo in Beverly Hills on Burton Way in a little house with lots of twinkling lights in the patio. Finally, there's Pane e Vino on Beverly Blvd. in West Hollywood that has good italian food at reasonable prices; the patio has the best seating.

None of these places serves what we call the southern Italian style cooking (for that, we go to the 50's standby, Annas).
Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:21 AM

Another option in Santa Monica is I. Cugini, on Ocean Ave. Down the street from that (though a step down in quality) is Il Fornaio della Spiaggia. Neither serves the noodles-and-red-sauce type of Italian food, thankfully. Please note that the big place in SM that does, Buca di Beppo, is absolutely horrible. The food there is appalling-- avoid at all costs.

Where will you be in LA? It's a really big town, and every neighborhood and city will have some good Italian places.
Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions - I had looked at Valentino's website and it had made our list of places to consider - I am glad to hear we will not be disappointed. We do the bulk of Italian eating in Boston's North end or in Providence, so we look forward to quality Italian places in other locations when we travel!
Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

We will be staying with our daughter in Westchester, but we will be in town visiting the cathedral and have yet to determine where else we will be.
Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:50 AM

I would avoid Valentino at all costs - the setting is dreary, the service can be both slow and haughty, and the food, frankly, isn't all that memorable. They do have a GREAT wine list, but since you can BYO at any restaurant in L.A. (except Bastide and The Ivy), buy a good bottle (try Beverage Warehouse in Marina Del Rey), it's irrelevant IMO.

A new place, Rocca on 4th in SM, got a good writeup in today's LA Weekly. Also, Angelini Osteria is good food - make reservations. Drago is also excellent. Il Pastaio in BH used to be superb, but it's gotten more $$$ and uneven.

Coachboy
Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:10 AM
mdv

Tre Venezie in Pasadena is excellent and unique (features the cuisine of Venice and the surrounding area). If you are going to be dining after seeing the Cathedral or are over on the eastside of LA. Pasadena is an easy drive ( easier than trying to head west).
Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:16 AM
mdv

Alessi on Melrose/Highland comes highly recommended by some of my reliable foodie friends. I am going tonight..could bet back to you tomorrow.
Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:45 AM

If you can stay away from traffic hour, Calabasas is an enjoyable 30 minute trip "out of the city" from Westchester.
www.mipiaceitaliankitchen.com
Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

These responses are extremely helpful - thanks for your time!!!

MDV - how was Tre Venezie??
Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:39 PM

Looking for something a little more "trendy" than traditional? One of my favorites in LA is Ago on Melrose near LaCienega, partly owned by Robert DeNiro, but a lively place with really good "contemporary" Italian, a lot of it from Tuscan wood ovens.
Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

What's the dress code at some of these places??? We will have nice casual clothes with us, but not dressy...

I had heard about Ago...I understand it is awfully busy...but what eating establishment isn't these days.
Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:06 PM

Practically every place is going to be "nice casual". Jeans won't be turned away at the door, but you'll feel better in nice top and pants/skirt or casual dress. Very few places have jacket requirements any more (I think the last one is Sir Winston's on the Queen Mary).
Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

We usually travel "business casual" - so thanks, we will be set.
Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:40 PM

Italian restaurants I've enjoyed in my hometown...starting from the westside where your daugther's at:

C&O Trattoria (Venice)-fun, lively atmosphere
Drago and Valentino (SM)-considered two of the best for quite some time
Trastavere and Lago (SM-3rd St)-touristy but the wood-fire pizza at T is delicious and comes close to ones I've had in Italy
Il Moro (WLA)-good choice surfergirl

In Beverly Hills and adjacent area:
Il Cielo(BH)-definitely romantic...I proposed there
Orso and Locanda Veneta (3rd St)
Ca'Brea and Amalfi (La Brea)--Amalfi replaced Farfalle

In Downtown, there's Osteria Antica. Near University City, there's Ca del Sole.

There's probably plenty of other good ones I missed as I haven't gone to them yet, but the above are my favorities...so far!
Oct 3rd, 2003, 07:20 PM

his name is antony, he's great and he's italian!!!
Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:58 PM

No one has mentioned Posto, Valentino's "sister" restaurant in Sherman Oaks.

Sure, it's a bit of a drive up to the Valley, but I've been there twice and have never been disappointed.

Also, check the LA board at www.chowhound.com.