Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there a good dim sum restaurant in or near Santa Monica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Orange County and rarely go into Los Angeles. I have a friend staying the week in Santa Monica and I'll be driving up there this weekend. I don't want to do a lot more driving than necessary. Any thoughts on dim sum? Maybe an excellent Thai restaurant if dim sum isn't working out? Thanks.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:14 AM

I'm racking my brain on the dim sum query (I work in Santa Monica). Good Chinese food is hard to find in SM period-- let alone dim sum.

The only place that used to be mentioned for good Cantonese-- and a dim sum menu-- was Royal Star Seafood (3001 Wilshire), but I have no idea if it's still open. Chinatown or Monterey Park/Alhambra are still your best bets for good dim sum, unfortunately.

Thai? Same problem. There's Bangkok West (606 Santa Monica Blvd), which is pretty good. Other that that.... Head to Thai Town (east Hollywood).

If you want fun and don't care about authentic, Monsoon on the Third Street Promenade is a hoot and a half. Pan-Asian, wild and hokey décor-- just don't be in a hurry (service is friendly and unrushed). Chinois on Main is still a good bet for dinner (the fusion joint in the Wolfgang Puck empire). Yangtze is another Promenade possibility, but I haven't eaten there in many years; I will say it was pretty good when I dined there, and it does get busy at lunchtime.

Sorry I can't be more helpful on your original request.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize there is a Thai town. If that includes shops, I'd be very interested in going over there.
Diane
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Thai Town is an area of Hollywood centered on Hollywood Blvd between Normandie and Western. Most ex-pat Thai in the US are in LA, and a lot of the first-generation Thai-Americans live in this area. You'll find lots of hole-in-the-wall eateries and little shops of every stripe. But really, other than the signage in other languages, the area looks like any other neighborhood in that part of LA.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Actually, I'm going to top this to see if another LA-area poster, mlgb, has anything to add or correct. She knows downtown LA very well, and I would assume she has knowledge of this neighborhood as well.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Thai Dishes on Santa Monica is really good.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 09:57 PM

No, rjw, I'm not Thai Town Fluent! But for downtown LA I can recommend Empress, or NBC for dimsum. But then you already know that. I also like Hop Li for Chinese non dimsum, and I know there is one in West LA too. Maybe that would work.

For Thai, I have a favorite hole in the wall in Long Beach, I'm not even sure of the name, it's between the 7-11 and Me n Eds Pizza on Paramount n/of Carson St. Check it out sometime. When they say "hot" they mean it, though.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
For dim sum, we generally go to VIP Seafood in a shopping mall (2nd floor) at the corner of Wilshire and Barrington Ave. Keep in mind that they ONLY do dim sum at lunch and not at dinner.

There are Thai restaurants all over Santa Monica and West Los Angeles. I realize it's a chain, but I still like Chan Dara on Pico by Bundy, which remains trendy and has good mood lighting!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Just to follow up to thank everyone for their advice, but my friend's cousin decided to prepare brunch at the house -- nothing wrong with bagels and lox. On my way home, however, I stopped at my favorite dim sum restaurant in Artesia, the Great Seafood House on Pioneer Blvd. Not for dim sum, but dinner from the menu. Terrific Chinese food.

As a note, Artesia is an interesting area as it becomes more Indian and less Chinese. It has been given the name "Little India," with Indian clothing, jewelry shops, restaurants, and markets. I've tried one of the Indian restaurants with good results.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:22 AM

mlgb: I've wondered about that Thai place!! I've driven by many, many times on my way to the Heritage (the best diner food in LB as far as I'm concerned). A drive-through Thai joint has to get your attention!

I'm a fan of Tiny Thai, on Norse Way (right by Lakewood and Carson). Delish.

luvtotravel, I didn't know there were any good Chinese in Artesia! Now I'll have to schlepp up there to try. I always think of it as Little India...!