great Boulder restaurant?

Jan 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

great Boulder restaurant?

Our son and daughter-in-law both have birthdays coming up in a few weeks. We're thinking of giving them a gift certificate to an excellent restaurant as a birthday present. We don't know the area well at all. What restaurant would you suggest? Thanks very much!
Jan 11th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Two possibilities would be Frasca, an outstanding gourmet restaurant serving northeastern Italian cuisine, or the Flagstaff House, with a gorgeous view of Boulder from the top of Flagstaff Mountain, serving many local specialities such as Colorado lamb. Check the reviews on either of these places to confirm their ratings as top-of-the-line dining experiences!

Not sure how much you had in mind for a gift certificate, but our dinner at Frasca cost over $200 with wine (worth every penny - may have been the best meal I ever had!)
Jan 12th, 2008, 09:14 AM
MaureenB

Boulder is home to many excellent restaurants, so you'll have lots of good choices.

The Chautauqua Dining Hall is our favorite, especially on a warm night so you can sit on the porch and see the panoramic view of the Flatirons. They also have wonderful concerts in their old theater, so you could find someone on the schedule that they would like, and combine the gift with dinner.

The Boulderado Hotel has a great restaurant, called Q's (www.qsboulder.com). It's a beautiful dining room in that historic hotel. You could get them a room and a dinner, if they don't live in Boulder, or just for a night out.

The Red Lion Inn used to be a favorite of ours, because it's an historic inn in Boulder canyon. I think the restaurant is getting good reviews, but we haven't been there lately. They serve game, like caribou and buffalo.

The Kitchen is a very nice, tiny restaurant on Pearl Street. It features organic foods, and it uses all the 'greenest' techniques in its operations.

The Flagstaff House is so expensive, that quite honestly we've avoided it all these years. Our friends have said it's not that great, for the outrageous prices. There are so many other choices in Boulder that don't cost an arm-and-a-leg.
>-

Jan 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM

My husband and I have lived in Boulder for 15 years, and I agree wholeheartedly with tekwriter's response that Frasca or Flagstaff House would be excellent choices. Yes, Flagstaff is expensive, but we go there at least twice per year and have had a fabulous experience every time. The food and service at Frasca are also terrific, but reservations are difficult on short notice. Last time we ate there we made our reservation two months in advance (though it was worth the wait). We also go to Q's regularly, though everything on their current winter menu is quite rich, so if you happen to be in the mood for lighter fare you're out of luck.
Jan 13th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all these responses. I am googling, looking at menus, etc. Great in-put!
Jan 15th, 2008, 09:15 AM

The 5280 magazine was very high on a couple of new restaurants in Boulder --

Black Cat Bistro -- blackcatboulder.com
Centro on Pearl -- Latin American
Radda -- Tuscan

Haven't tried any of them but plan to soon. The 5280 magazine is pretty reliable.
Jan 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM

i could never forget our experience at flagstaff house in 1989. it was lightening, so the whole area was lit up for miles and miles. unbelievable! and the food was really special too. i had my first souffle there, saw my first sommelier there... ;-)