your favorite aspen restaurant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in aspen in january and i would love to hear which restaurants you've enjoyed the most. my two companions are skiiers and will be on the slopes all day, i'll be in town and would like to find some nice restaurants open for lunch where a glass of wine or champagne is offered, (it seems that most of them are only open for dinner) and of course recommendations for dinner when all 3 of us are together.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 06:03 AM
JJ5

Can't remember the name, but it was right next door to the Rocky Mountain Fudge store. It was Italian and middle pricey, but most are higher priced in Aspen. We had a party of 8 or so and service was very exceptional for a lot of "picky" ski club people. Wine was very good. Dishes were very close to those I've had in Cinque Terra.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Syzygy is our favorite Aspen restaurant. We haven't been in a couple of years, so not sure if it is stll there.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:20 AM

The bar at the Hotel Jerome is also a restaurant and is very comfortable for a single person. Cantina is a good trendy Mexican restaurant right on the main street.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:24 AM
lvk

If you want something different, try Krabloonik in Snowmass. It's an interesting restaurant serving wild game. They also have dogsledding kennels there. They're "famous" for their wild mushroom soup. www.krabloonik.com
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:54 AM
MaureenB

I second the Hotel Jerome idea. We love that beautiful old hotel-- immaculately kept, great restaurant for breakfast and lunch. Serves dinner, too, I think in another part of the restaurant.

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Just go hang out in Mezzaluna for a drink and a nice lunch. I dine there alone or with my mother or son every year on my day off from skiing. It is a midpriced Italian place. It has large windows that are good for people watching. I do love the Jerome and Syzygy for dinner but neither is as conveniently located to the shopping district or to the gondola which is a really fun place to be at lunchtime. If you just want inexpensive casual food at a bustling restaurant try Little Annies.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 02:58 PM

For dinner try Cache Cache, the Century Room at the Hotel Jerome and Jimmy's.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:20 AM

If you are doing lunch and want to enjoy the skiing ambiance head to Ajax Tavern overlooking the mountain. Although it's a big serving, the french fries with truffle oil/parmesan are heavenly....and I don't normally like fried food!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

thanks to all for your recommendations. i'll definitely try the fries at the ajax tavern. i've been reading the aspen times online every morning to see what's new. an article came out this morning saying that the ajax tavern's day are numbered. it's lease runs out in a little over a year so it will probably move someplace else and they're thinking of using it's current space for more hotel rooms. so we will enjoy it on this trip while we still have it!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:37 PM

Go to www.aspensnowmass.com and check out the restaurants online then go ahead and make ressies for a couple of really nice places now. I called Cache Cache about three days ago and they were already booked from Dec. 19-sometime in mid Jan. Pine Creek Cookhouse filled up weeks ago.

Has anyone eaten at Montagna at the Little Nell? I love the feel of the place but I haven't eaten there since it became Montagna. I've only eaten lunch at Olives at the St. Regis and din't care for it.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

We're back from our ski trip and just wanted to thank all of you for your help. I was able to try several of the recommended restaurants. At Ajax tavern I was able to sit at the bar beside the window and enjoy an incredible view of the skiers and mountain. The J bar at the Jerome was great! saw the colts vs. broncos game there on sunday. Went to Jimmy's for dinner, the rib-eye was excellent, when we left the bar was packed, great apres-ski scene. Su casa was good for Mexican with a happy hour and there's a great service that will bring you food from most of the restaurants to your hotel room if you don't want to go out. We tried the wood-fired pizza and tomato-basil soup from Mezzaluna and it was good. The bistro at the Explorer bookstore was also a wonderful place to relax and read in front of a fire as was the bar at the St. Regis. Again thanks all for your help!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:17 AM

So good to hear an update from your trip. We ate Christmas dinner at Jimmy's and my son also loved the ribeye. Both my kids loved the hot waitresses and hostesses. And the chocolate lava cake was a hit with everyone.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:25 PM

I will second the recommendation for Cache Cache - they also serve great food at the bar. We've enjoyed Campo di Fiore. Lunch at Aspen Highlands at the Cloud Nine Bistro is a treat. Wienerstrube is a great spot for breakfast.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:10 PM

BTW- The Hickory House has ruined me for eating hash browns anywhere else. My son isn't a "breakfast person" so he put away a rack of ribs at 8am.