Grand Teton/Snake River Float Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking @ Triangle X and GTLC for a dinner Float Trip (mid-June). I think GTLC departs close to Jackson Lake Lodge. I think Triangle X departs further south neat Moose Visitor Center. Both last about 4 or 5 hours and includes dinner. Can anyone tell me good or bad experiences on these float trips. I am trying to decide on one of these two companies or maybe even a different one. We would like to see the most wildlife and scenery. If they are about the same for scenic, we would probably go with the one that had the best food.

We are also going to take the boat across Jenny Lake and hike Cascade Canyon and Inspiration Point, Possibly Moose Pond while at Jenny Lake also.

We were planning on Jenny Lake @ 9 or 10 in the morning and then Snake River at 4 or 5 that evening.

Was thinking 4-5 hours at Jenny Lake. Is that enough time there?

Am I going to be freaked out about bears near Jenny Lake? Should I carry Bear Spray? To be honest, we have a hard time enjoying hiking when we are in bear territory. I am hoping that Jenny Lake area is a big tourist happening spot with lots of hikers on the trail. There will be 3 of us.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM
maj

I would definitely take bear spray with you, just for your peace of mind. You are in bear country on any hikes in Yellowstone or GTNP. We never had to use it and gave it back to the rangers when we left (we were flying). Jenny Lake and those trails have many tourists on them, but on the Cascade Canyon trail, it is a little more isolated.

As far as time, it depends on how fast you hike, how far you want to go in Cascade Canyon, etc. Also, the boat across Jenny Lake stops when there is thunder and lightning present. This happened to us and we ended up having to walk back along the trail around the Lake. The boat started running again when we were about half way back, but they didn't know when it would start back up, so we opted to walk. They did have that trail shut down for a while because of bear activity -- so yes, there are bears in that area (although we didn't see any). Still wouldn't miss it because of that -- it was one of our favorite hikes. I guess I would do those activities on different days if you can -- if not, you could probably make it, but you may not be able to do everything you want at Jenny Lake.

Didn't take either of those float trips -- we took one in the morning from Signal Mountain. Thoroughly enjoyed it -- can't believe the scenery is very much "better" on any of them -- fantastic wherever you go. As far as wildlife -- they really don't guarantee anything -- just plain luck.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
SEW

Okay, I'm not sure, but I think it was Solitute Float trips we went on. I found it through the NPS.gov website for Grand Tetons. It was a great trip. We were picked up at Moose Vistors center and taken up river. I thought it was a great way to view the Tetons and would take it again in a minute.

Enjoy.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM

About a zillion years ago, my family was in the Tetons and we took a Snake River float trip. I recall it being very fun and very scenic. I was about 15 I think and had an immediate crush on one of the guides....so maybe I remember him more than the trip?

Seriously, do it, I think you'll like it.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM

I was also wondering about the dinner float trips. They are only offered by Triangle X and GTLC. We will also be there in June and wondered if you had made a decision or if anyone had info on Triangle X. Thanks!!
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

I went with GTLC. I decided to go without the dinner and just do a scenic float. It starts at 6:00PM and runs until 10:00. The reason I went with GTLC is that the person who answered the phone @ Triangle X was rude and didn't really answer my questions. We are just doing a crash course of GTLC in one day. We are going to do the Jenny like boat and hike in the morning and then do the snake river that evening. We are going to do Yellowstone for 4 days and our final day at GT. We are staying at different lodging every night. Staying @ Colter tent that last night. Driving in on the beartooth from Billings, then departing from Jackson. We are going to do the Alpine Slide @ Jackson the morning we leave.

We are going hot air ballooning later this summer in Monument Valley, otherwise I would have strongly considered ballooning around the teton area. That is another interesting looking tour that would be to do.