What was your favorite hike in Yellowstone and GTNP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visit Yellowstone and GTNP for 5 days at the end of July. Would love to hear what your favorite hikes were. Since my elderly parents may come along on some, are there any scenic, shorter and easy hikes as well? Thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM

The boat trip across Jenny Lake at Grand Teton and then hike up to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point. I think you can also walk around the Lake.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM

We took my parents on the float trip on the Snake river and they loved it(they are in their 70's) Also, there are some boardwalk trails near Old Faithful to see some of the other gysers, but I really liked the hike to the paint pots (i think it is called) it was a nice hike...pretty easy... not too long...we saw elk on the trail and the bubbling pots were awesome! Have fun!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on the float trip.

Still hoping for more hike recommendations!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 02:33 PM

Has anyone hiked ElephantBack Mountain loop or artist point?
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:09 PM

Try hiking to lone star geyser.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 07:16 PM

Let me amplify the Lone Star Geyser walk a little. The trailhead is near Keppler Cascase a few miles east of the Old Faithful area.

The trail follows along the upper Firehole River through unburned forest and along peaceful meadows. Part of the trail is along an old road, so it is actually paved.

The route is essentially flat.

Once you get to the geyser, the Firehole River is close at hand. People often bring along a picnic lunch and enjoy the tranquil nature of the setting while waiting for Lone Star to put on its show.

The geyser usually erupts in two stages, so after it calms down after the first one, wait a few minutes and hopefully the second stage will soon begin for you.

Often, I have seen kids of all ages wading in the river. The water is a little cool, but if the day is hot, as it often is in the summer, the coolness of the stream is a welcome relief.

I like the walk out there and there is no need to hurry. No one keeps a posted prediction of the next eruption time, but the geyser comes to life about every 3 hours.

The main drawback to Lonestar is the length of the walk. Even though it is flat, the distance from the parking area to the geyser is over 2 miles one way.

I am not sure what you mean by elderly.
I am 73 and would not hesitate to walk down there.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the specifics about Lone Star Bob. My parents are in their early 80's. I know my Dad could still make the hike but it might be too much for mom. I will def go there though. Did you take any other nice hikes?