Grand Teton NP - Snake River Float Question

Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Teton NP - Snake River Float Question

We will be visiting Grand Teton NP this summer (mid August), staying two nights at Jenny Lake Lodge. We are interested in taking a float trip on the Snake River. Is one company better than another? What time of day is best? We would like to try to see wildlife. Thanks! By the way, we are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 older teens and would appreciate other suggestions for hike (moderate) and activites and sights not to miss in the park (and in Yellowstone!). Thanks, again, Susan
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:16 AM

Tne float trips are pretty much the same. Since it'll be warm mid-August, you're probably best off (weatherwise) going early in the morning or late afternoon. We've gone both very early morning and mid-morning. As for animals sightings, you might see some moose and will see some birds, including eagles. (Bring binoculars).
Other sites:
*Take the boat across Jenny Lake and hike up to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point. (Instead of the boat ride, you can hike around the lake to the waterfall and Inspiration Point.)
*Drive down Antelope Slopes Road to view the bison close up and walk around the Moulton Barn. You'll have no better photo op than the barn with mountains in the background.
*Drive up to Signal Mountain at sundown.
I strongly recommend you get a copy of Frommer's "Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks." It's handy little book (easy to carry around) that's loaded with helpful information, including hikes of all types.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:27 AM

I second the boat ride across Jenny Lake and the hike to Inspiration Point, Hidden Falls and Cascade Canyon. It really is well worth the trip to go on past Inspiration Point and the Falls. We turned one bend and saw a big bull moose standing in the water. The views and terrain are incredible.

We did the whitewater trip down the river with Mad Dog---- (?) Great guide, nice people. We did see a bald eagle sunning himself on a tree branch overhead. We did not make our reservations until the day before and had a hard time getting a trip.

You will love the Tetons!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:43 AM

Hi Susan,

I agree with the others about hiking to hidden falls and inspiration point. However I would hike around Jenny Lake to get there and then take the boat across the lake on the way back. This hike is not that difficult. We did it 2 years ago with our 2 kids who were 12 and 8 at the time. One of the most beautiful hikes of our trip. Definitely spend sometime in Jackson Hole. We took the tram up the mountain and the views alone are worth the ride.

In yellowstone be sure to check out the grand canyon of Yellowstone area. Very beautiful. Also the Noris gyser (?sp)basin area is great for viewing all the thermal activities.

Even tho you are going in August be prepared for cooler weather too. We went in Aug and it was warm - hot during the day however at night it can get down right cold. One morning was mid 30's.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:41 AM

We did the float trip last summer. I thought it was okay. We did the morning trip and the only wildlife we saw were a couple of bald eagles. I loved seeing the eagles, but I was hoping for more wildlife sightings. Your older teens may be a little bored. Remember it is a float trip. My preteens enjoyed it, but wanted a few more bumps on the river. They did get a chance to help steer (if that is the right word) the raft, so that was fun. Overall, we had a good time, but I don't think I would book another float trip. I can't remember the company we used, but we booked the trip through the Jackson Lake Lodge.

Also, I agree with the others about Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point. We walked around Jenny Lake and took the boat on the way back. Not difficult and very scenic.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

wtm003 - How early was your morning trip? They have 7, 8, 9 am trips and my family is willing to go for the 7 am if it gives us a better chance at seeing wildlife.
Susan
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:34 PM

I think we took the 7 a.m. float trip our first time. It happened to foggy on the river, BUT surprisingly, that added to the experience. It was eerie and fascinating, especially when we heard the sound of the birds. If it's clear, you'd probably see more animals at that hour.
A word of caution: Dress warmly. It can be chilly at that hour.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:35 PM

Susan, I'm guessing but I think we went with a 9 or 10 a.m. time. I remember it being chilly when we left. It was with the Grand Teton Lodge Company and included lunch after the float. Good luck on the 7 a.m. trip.

In the evening you can try to spot moose from the patio at Jackson Lake Lodge. There is usually a ranger outside to help guests spot moose in the willows. It is one of my favorite spots to sip a cocktail, watch for wildlife and enjoy a magnificent view of the Tetons.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM

We took a scenic/ whitewater trip on the Snake several years ago. We used Barker Ewing and the guide was great. We had to be at their headquarters very early in the morning, about 5:30. We took a bus ride to the put in area. The guide did all the work and all we had to do was hold on. The first part of the trip for about an hour was scenic so it was quiet and relaxing. We did not see much wildlife though. We pulled off of the river after the first hour and walked up to an area where they had a campfire and picnic tables and a big tent set up where they were cooking a big breakfast. We ate around the campfire, used the portapotty, and talked with the guides,etc. Then we got back on the river and shortly after that we were into the whitewater portion. It was pretty exciting! There were around seven rapids I believe and each one had a name. One was called the Big Kahuna and another was the lunch counter if I remember correctly. We hit one of them in such a way that it sent a big wave of water over our heads! Our teenage daughter wanted to go back and do that one again. Our son was ten and he loved it too. By the time we got back to our hotel it was probably around 2:00 easily. I would recommend the early morning for that reason. Then you can rest a little bit, clean up and go out on the town that evening. They do take a picture of you at one of the big rapids and you can pick it up in Jackson Hole that evening. It highly recommend it and do the whitewater, not just the scenic. I was nervous since we had not done anything before that besides canoe trips down some of the rivers in Missouri, but it was a blast. We did a trip down the Salmon river about three years later and that time we had to work at rowing along with the guide. That was fun too!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM

Susan, by the way, we went in August too!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:25 PM

The company that jet519 refers to is Baker-Ewing, and they are very reliable.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:00 PM

I think it is Barker Ewing
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:00 PM

Oops, I'm wrong, it is Barker-Ewing! Sorry.