Grand Central Terminal - 100th Birthday Celebration starts February 1, 2013

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saturday, February 2, 2013 will be the 100th Birthday of the current Grand Central Terminal (East 42nd .Street & Park Avenue)

On Friday February 1 there will be a celebration which will include exhibits, performances, celebrity guests and more.

The celebration will continue through the year with other events.

For visitors and NYers alike this will be a good opportunity to see and enjoy one of the architectural wonders of New York City

For more detailed information: http://www.mta.info/gct/birthday.html

A small portion of the text from the above page:
"GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION KICKS OFF FEBRUARY 1

Public Invited to a Full Day of Celebrations and Performances
Full 2013 Calendar of Centennial Activities is Released

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority of New York (MTA) and Metro-North Railroad open Grand Central Terminal to the public on February 1, 2013 for the celebration of its 100th Anniversary with a full day of activities, including a morning public rededication ceremony and musical performances that will keep visitors entertained well into the evening. The morning ceremony will feature elected officials, high-profile celebrities and VIPs, and performances by award-winning musicians and New York student performers. Throughout the day, which is hosted by Metro-North and partners including the New York Transit Museum, members of the public can enjoy live performances, national award presentations to the Terminal, giveaways from sponsors, special deals from Terminal retailers, and the opening of “Grand by Design,” a spectacular six-week exhibit that chronicles the history and impact of New York’s greatest building and one of the world’s most famous train terminals. The February 1 events are presented with support from Target.

These events fall 100 years to the day that the first set of keys was handed to the Terminal’s station master on February 1, 1913. (The first train left the Terminal just after midnight on February 2.) To commemorate both the past, present and future of Grand Central, events on February 1 and throughout the year are guided by four themes: Happy Birthday to Grand Central, marking its historic first century; Preserving a Landmark; Creating a Legacy, focused on renovation of the Terminal’s 42nd Street entrance and other physical improvements; Grand Centennial Parade of Trains, anchored by a rare public display of historic train cars with public activities centered on the history of railroading; and Grand Central: The Next 100 Years, featuring a variety of exhibits and public events throughout 2013 that will explore how this monument to American transportation continues to inspire innovations and improvements in travel.

.............."
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 06:32 AM

On Feb 1st - I visited the new exhibit at ICP - excellent - the surrealist drawings at The Morgan - and stopped in for the dance band at Grand Central - The exhibit wasn't open yet but I will probably visit it today.

Also - it is Black History month and I can't resist the challenge - I've been to all but 3 places on the 5 boro challenge list - so I will be posting more about them soon but here's more info on February winter activities

http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/expl...ivities-1.html
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 05:22 AM

My husband and I were in NYC March 2-4th. We took a train in from CT and decided to eat some food from the market and take the audio tour of Grand Central when we arrived. The audio guides are available at ticket windows and take you around and outside the terminal. The tour took us about an hour, and this was w/o stopping at all in the Market place.

I grew up in the suburbs and went in and out of the city via Grand Central. I lived in the city in the mid 1970's when there was a serious danger that the terminal would be torn down. We took a tour then and had Save Grand Central t-shirts.

It has been wonderful to see how the terminal has been renovated over the years--a truly magnificent building.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 07:21 AM

And for any of you seeking a quiet grand place for a wedding....
http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/expl...t-wedding.html
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the tip on the audio tour! We also loved exploring the Market on our last trip. It is such a spectacular space.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 08:46 AM

^^^^^ I meant the entire building is spectacular, not just the Market, although it was a very fun discovery.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:03 AM

And would you believe that some years back, GCS was in danger of demolition?

It took a long fight by the Landmarks Preservation Commission, with some help from Jackie Kennedy, to save it from greedy developers.

It was then renovated and restored to the gem that it is.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:27 AM

I meant to mention that there is at least one guided tour/day in addition to the audio tours.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
On May 11-12, 2013 GCT will have lots to see on National Train Day. http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/...tid=2145406609
There will be other Amtrak stations that will have old locomotives and cars for viewing by the public over that weekend.
NTD celebrates the driving of the Golden Spike in Utah 144 years ago.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 05:17 AM

DW and I stolled around some of the exhibits during a brief vsit to NYC and thouroughly enjoyed this. It is like a free museum! Very well done.. HIghly recommended.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 05:23 AM

Was at GCT on Friday and it is still a great building. Didn't spend much time there as we managed to enter 15 minutes before our train for once but its still a great site walking off a train and before leaving.