Suggestions for a NYC Rainy Day Visit

May 17th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Suggestions for a NYC Rainy Day Visit

I need some help from out-of-town visitors to NYC who like all the tourist stuff that I usually avoid. My cousin and her daughter (19 yo) are visiting NYC this week and need some suggestions for things to do tomorrow when it's raining. They don't like museums. In fact, the only museum they are willing to visit is the Museum of Natural History, and they want to save that for Thursday, when I'm taking some time off to show them around.

I was trying to think of suggestions for them, but I came up short. I've tried to convince them to do a Broadway matinee tomorrow. If they can get tickets at TKTS without getting soaked, that will at least take up the afternoon. But can you think of anything else? I'd like to give them some options. One of the options, however, is NOT a double-decker bus tour. They will have 1-week unlimited Metrocards and don't want to spend another $26 just for transportation to sights they can visit on their own.

These need to be budget-friendly suggestions. And they are very much into shopping and very touristy stuff because they've never been to NYC.
May 17th, 2011, 08:45 AM

Shopping spree? If they are from someplace that doesn't have some of the classic dept stores...or some of the places that a 19 year old would love.

Eataly or Chelsea Market?

Tenement Museum [not typical museum] and lunch at Katz?
May 17th, 2011, 09:14 AM

It's too bad they don't like museums. BUT, might they be interested in the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met? Thinking the 19-y-o might be into fashion?
Other than that, I'd have them go check out Grand Central Station.
good luck
May 17th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Indoor stuff ... hummm... Yeah, too bad they don't like museums. My BFF and I went to lunch at the Boat House then spent a few hours at the Frick. Nice way to spend the afternoon.

If they want to brave the waves, Ellis Island is indoors , but it might be hairy getting there.

I haven't done this, but the Radio City Music Hall tour might be fun.

The Library.
May 17th, 2011, 09:32 AM
yk

Not sure what the 19 year old likes, but here are a few thoughts:

Tour of the UN?
http://visit.un.org/wcm/content/site..._ticket/guided

I like the idea of Grand Central Terminal - they can do an audio tour: http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/info/AudioTour.cfm

Tour of NYPL (the 5th ave branch; free)?
http://www.nypl.org/events/tours/schwarzman

Chelsea Market as mentioned above, and High Line if it's not raining hard?

I also like the suggestion of the Alexander McQueen show at the Met.

If all fails, just send them to Bloomingdale's or Century 21.
May 17th, 2011, 10:19 AM

How about a tour of Lincoln Center and/or The Metropolitan Opera House? The latter tour includes the Met Auditorium and a significant portion of the backstage area, including the costume department, the scenery department and much of the other "stuff" that goes on in order to put on a successful production. http://bit.ly/jQSyXy
May 17th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, they have little to no interest in anything cultural (libraries, concert halls, etc.). But I might try to convince them to give the Tenement Museum a try. I also like the idea of the UN, and I might try to steer them there. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll try to check back in a little later this afternoon.
May 17th, 2011, 10:56 AM

What would they be doing if the sun was shining?

They can still go to the Top of the Rock.

Transit Museum in Brooklyn. Don't use the word museum.

Send them to Zabar's.

And worse comes to worst, send them to the DMV to have your license renewed.
May 17th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Aduchamp1 - you make me laugh, daily!
May 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
yk

Doug, based on your description, I doubt they'd care for the UN tour. I do think Tenement Museum would be great.

Unless it's going to pour all day, I don't see why they can't go shopping (or window-shopping) if it's light rain or drizzle. Thinking back to my early-20 days, me and my friend most enjoyed walking around SoHo and checking out all the different shops and boutiques.
May 17th, 2011, 11:47 AM

I agree with yk about walking around and shopping in SoHo!

I'm coming in on Thursday and the forecast has had me down. But, unless it's pouring, I'm just going to stick to my plans. Thank goodness for the subway
May 17th, 2011, 11:51 AM

What about a closed bus tour like kingofnyc.com? If they do that in the morning, then a matinee for the afternoon, they're good to go. I wouldn't want to wait in line for TKTS. Get them to pick a show TODAY from the left column of broadwaybox.com and go to the box office today. Or what about a tour of Brooklyn from asliceofbrooklyn.com?

What DO they like?
May 17th, 2011, 12:05 PM

The Tenement Museum and/or http://www.screentours.com/tour.php/...FeURNAodlGEDEw

It IS R-rated though
May 17th, 2011, 12:37 PM

Thanks Lantana.
May 17th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Maybe a bus tour to just see the different nieghborhoods, or a museum like Madame Tussauds (which isn't really a museum in the cultural sense).
May 17th, 2011, 01:15 PM

the only museum they are willing to visit is......

I am reminded of visitors from England who told me they would go to anything in the theater except ballet. I took them to see Mikhail Baryshnikov and Natalia Makarova dance at the Met. It was a highlight of their visit.

I have yet to find somebody who did not enjoy the Frick Collection, housed in one of the last great 5th Avenue Mansions at 70th Street: http://www.frick.org

HTTY
May 17th, 2011, 02:29 PM

We've done some of the food tours, and they were a blast. You go to different restaurants and get to try different foods at each one. The Greenwich Village one is excellent, and we also enjoyed the one in Chinatown. It rained on us a bit, and it was fine as long as you bring an umbrella; most of the time is spent inside.
May 17th, 2011, 02:46 PM

Century 21! they can start out there early in the morning before its a crazy zoo. What about hanging out Union Square, TJ Max and DSW and then walk over to 7th avenue and go to Filene.

and there's always Macy's the biggest store in the world.

Don't discount shopping. It's a great New York City thing to do especially if you come from someplace that doesn't have all those shops and stores.

and I'm going to 2nd the McQueen exhibit at the Met. They can just pay a nominal amount instead of the suggested amount. In my opinion it's the best way to say you've been to a museum but instead of ancient art you get to see fashion instead.

What about a foreign film or an art film at that theater in the Village?
May 17th, 2011, 03:03 PM

The transit museum is more fun than "cultural",
May 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM

The library is celebrating it's hundredth birthday - The exhibit is fabulous. I'd also add St John the Divine - I had a college kid with his grandparents and I encouraged him to wander Columbia U but he came into the church and couldn't stop photographing it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO