Search

Grand Canyon Rafting Excursions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon Rafting Excursions

Hi all,

Am starting planning process for a family trip (me, husband and 16 yo son) to the Grand Canyon. We visited and hiked a few trails when our son was 12, but wanted to go back and do a longer rafting trip (including stay at Phantom Ranch) when he was older. We are all in good shape and are looking for a more rugged adventure.

Has anyone done these longer (7 plus days) excursions that involve rafting and camping? If so, can you please make your vendor and itinerary recommendations?

Thanks,
Allyson
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 10:43 AM

Consider yourself lucky if you can actually find a rafting trip in the Grand Canyon within the next couple of years.

There is a limit to the number of permits and the trips are often booked years in advance.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response...anything helpful to add?
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I don't think you'll have a problem finding a trip for 2010, just make arrangements asap. We did a 3 day trip with Arizona River Runners and really enjoyed it. We did the type where there is about 15 people on a powered raft: J-rig (two banana boat type thingy). We took 2 boats, 2 guides, 2 boatmen, 1 Indian interpretive Guide (he would switch boats throughout the trip). There were 26 people along for the tour. Our daughter was 13 at the time and there was a couple of other kids about her age. There were 2 people from UK and 2 from Japan, who spoke very very limited English. We stayed one night @ Bar 10 Ranch, and one night on the banks. I think the 7 day trip would be even better. The rapids were much calmer than I expected them to be. I think the smaller boats might be more fun. The water is very cold. The food was suprisingly good. We had French Toast, Roast Beef, Spaghetti, gourmet sandwiches. They had every kind of condiment under the sun. The only negative thing- They drag all of the drinks in the water along side the boat, thus the drink aren't ice cold. I asked the guide on our boat about other companies and he said he had worked for 3 different companies over his 20 years going down the GC. He goes an average of about 4 trips per summer(various lengths). He said that the companies are all similar and all good. We saw other rafters only once or twice along the way.

Maybe Bill_H will see this post and chime in. He has done various excursions in the GC and will have some good info.

I would have enjoyed a couple of more nights, but my wife thought it was about the right time for her. She isn't in to not having a bathroom. Which is another situation I should point out. They put the portable toilet (which is basically and ice chest with a toilet lid on it), in a spot which is as private as possible. Everyone urinates in the river and then does #2 in the portable toilet. It will be the most scenic #2 you will ever have-guaranteed. They provide tents only if you want them, you will enjoy sleeping under the stars. I don't think anyone actually used a tent in our group. We went in mid-june and got lucky as it was fairly cool. I would suggest going as early as possible. It can be hot in June, July, August. We had a GREAT time and you will to.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM

I've rafted thru the GC several times, it's a great trip if you are comfortable camping. Each day offers a couple of wonderful hikes up side-canyons and some exciting whitewater, plus the great scenery.

You should decide first what kind of boats you prefer and how long you have for the trip. Basically for the boats the choice is between the large motorized rafts and the much smaller oar and paddle rafts. The motorized rafts let you go thru the canyon about twice as fast, meaning you can do the entire 225 miles (or 190 miles if you take out early) in 7-8 days, but purists don't like them as much because of the motor and because the large boats flatten out the rapids. Even the 30 ft drop at Lava Falls is not too exciting in a big motor boat.

The smaller boats typically take about 14 days for the entire trip, which can be broken up as 6 days to get to Phantom Ranch (and then you hike out) or 8 days starting at Phantom after a hike down. These smaller boats are more relaxed in the flat-water stretches than the motor boats, and much much more exciting in the rapids, of course. If you are a thrill seeker then busting thru the giant rapids like Lava Falls, Crystal, Hermit etc in a small boat is great fun.

Here's a typical company (one I've used several times) with a wide range of trips using different types of rafts. http://www.azraft.com/ There are 20-something companies licensed to raft the river, all licensed by the Park Service, and most of them are pretty good.

You mentioned staying at Phantom as part of the trip. I think there's a company that can set up a cabin or dorm rental at Phantom as part of the trip (not certain which one). I've camped at Phantom several times. Coming from the crowds at the rim Phantom seems like a quiet oasis, but rafting into Phantom after a week of solitude on the upper river makes it feel like Phantom is Grand Central Station and you can't wait to get moving again and leave it behind. What I'm saying is the camping experience on the small isolated beaches while rafting will make Phantom seem crowded and noisy.

As for the difficulty in getting a reservation, I've found you can usually get one easily a year in advance. Mid-summer is the peak season but I prefer May and September since the weather is better and there aren't as many boats on the river. Check the 'specials' on the site listed above and you'll see they actually still have discounted 2009 openings for some Sept trips (probably because of the weak economy). The real back-up for permits is for private trips (experienced boaters with their own gear), this is about 10 years wait at the moment.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 02:22 PM

tipsnowflake - we took a little shorter Grand Canyon rafting/hiking trip several years ago. Here is the trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...and-canyon.cfm

As I recall, we made a reservation for four of us in January for an early June trip. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM

A company called Rivers and Oceans can help you find the right rafting trip for you---they act as booking agent for all the permitted outfitters, and can work with you to match you to the right trip:

http://www.rivers-oceans.com/

It sounds like you migh tlike the 7 to 10-day oar powered trip through the "lower canyon" starting with a hike down to Phantom Ranch and continuing through the largest rapids on the river. You can stop at Whitmore Wash and helicopter out, or continue beyond:

http://www.rivers-oceans.com/7-10%20...r/overview.htm

There may well still be openings this year, or start looking now for a 2010 trip.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 10:25 PM

We took the 7 day trip in May 2006. We went with Western River which I found by searching the internet. I used them for 2 reasons:

1. They provided cots and tents so you don't have to sleep on the ground or outside unless you want.
2. They take you out of the canyon on Day 7 by helicopter, then fly you to either Las Vegas or Page, AZ where your tour begins. I was pretty beat up and weary by Day 7 so not having to hike out of the canyon was what sold me.

It goes without saying, the food was fantastic, they even had bananas foster with ice cream one night. I totally disagree with what Bill_H says about the rapids not being too exciting in the motorized boats--EVERYONE on our trip was plenty excited, many times over--it was thrilling. Though I can see how purists would question this, those of us who never experienced the Colorado before were very happy with the experience.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 04:25 AM

I am with Bill_H on the rapids. They weren't much at all. While they were exciting, unless you were near the front of the boat you didn't even get wet much. However, for a first time trip, it might be the best bet.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 06:52 AM

I totally disagree with what Bill_H says about the rapids not being too exciting in the motorized boats--EVERYONE on our trip was plenty excited

Well, I guarantee you it's ten times more exciting in a smaller raft, which was my point.

The motor rafts are usually 32-34 ft long, maybe 10-12 ft wide, and typically carry 12-16 passengers, one or two crew and all the gear for the entire trip. They are so heavy that the only time one has ever flipped was during the 1983 flood when 100,000 cfs was released to save Glen Canyon dam (typically it's 5,000 - 8,000 cfs release).

The oar boats are usually 18 ft (sometimes 16 ft) long, maybe 6 ft wide, and carry an oarsman and four pax. So about 1/4 the area and 1/4 the weight. While the professional boatmen rarely flip one, there's always a chance (I'm guessing the 20 companies probably flip 15-20 times total in a summer ... and while camping at Granite Rapids I once saw five oar boats on private trips flip in one entertaining afternoon ... and there are 3 or 4 rapids tougher than Granite).

I did one motor trip similar to yours, flying out at mile 190 after going thru all the big rapids. It was a great trip, but the rapids are pretty tame in the big boats. People could sit at the back near the guide and not even get wet except on a couple of big rapids. I've also done several small-boat trips ... there is simply no comparision when it comes to the white water experience. If you ever went over Lava Falls in a small boat you would understand.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi all--

Many thanks for your suggestions and recommendations. You have all given us some great tips and good places to start for our research. I'll keep you posted as to what we decide (big boat, small boat, etc.).

Best!
Allyson
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 02:54 PM

I just wanted to let you know Colorado River & Trail Expeditions is a great option. They operate rowing, motor, and paddle trips. They have cots, tents, chairs, and all the amenities. They are a family owned rafting company and are one of the smaller rafting companies in the Grand Canyon. They don't give discounts except to repeat customers and groups because they have such a fan base and don't believe in charging different prices. One of their guides is actually featured in the "My Job" section of the August 2009 Popular Mechanics magazine. I know they just added a 12 day rowing trip September 20 to October 1. They specialize in off river hiking. http://www.crateinc.com. or http://www.facebook.com/grandcanyonrafting
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Five years ago my husband, son and I took a 7 day trip through the Grand Canyon. We went with Arizona River Runners. This company was flat out awesome. We had to change our trip at the last minute because our older son was leaving for Iraq and was coming home the week we were suppose to be on the river. They bent over backwards to get us on another trip.
This was the best vacation I have ever had. I would go back every year if the budget would allow it. The food was so good, we all put on weight. They provide everything you need except your clothes and personal items. Tents are available if you want them but no one on our trip used them after the first night. I noticed one person said the rapids weren't very good in the powered rafts. Don't know what company he went with or who his guides were, but we had more than a couple of rushes. I and another lady "rode the duffle" through a wall of water on Hermit rapids. I would never do the Grand Canyon in an oar raft, I am not that brave. We enjoyed all of the hikes, body surfing on the Little Colorado, the hike to Havasu Falls, climbing up into a cave and jumping out under a water fall into a pool. We helicoptered out to the Bar 10 Ranch at the end of our 7 days, then flew back to Vegas. I am currently trying to figure out how I can take all of my kids and grandkids through the canyon, that will be 19 of us. This is something I want them all to experience.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 08:23 PM

DH and I did did this great trip with Hatch way back when. Our group had 2 rafts - each with @10 rafters - plus 3 guides. Great trip!! Plenty of excitement!! (we did have one of our experienced rafters go overboard shooting a major rapid and were plenty glad that our raft was motorized for the rescue) We were helicoptered out which was also exciting. The camping and hiking were amazing.
Coming into Phantom Ranch was like arriving at Times Square. That's where we bought souvenirs and washed our hair under the water spigots. (we were pretty grubby as the Colorado is the only place you can use soap -not allowed in the tributaries - and it was icy cold and churned up with red silt after a rainstorm the first night).
Gals - wear a 2-piece bathing suit!
BTW - I just finished reading a neat book "In the Heart of the Canyon" about a group of strangers that "bond" on a Grand Canyon rafting trip. A good read and nostalgia for me- timely for you.