Search

Grand Canyon in May

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon in May

I may be visiting Las Vegas mid May and would like to make my first visit to the Grand Canyon.

Any info/suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 05:35 AM

Are you wanting to do a flying trip to the Canyon or do you plan to drvie to it? How many days can you allow for it?
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Here's some suggested reading:

www.nps.gov/grca
www.grand.canyon.national-park.com
www.thecanyon.com
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM

I'm planning to do the North Rim from Vegas. I'm hoping to do it in one day - leave in the morning, stop for lunch near Zion National Park, hit the North Rim early in the afternoon, maybe a quick hike, then back to Vegas by mid-evening.
Anyone know if this is do-able? Are we trying to do too much in one day? I can't find anything that actually says how long it takes to get from Vegas to the North Rim... I'd love input from anyone who's made that trip.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Others will be able to help you more but according to AAA's Triptik it is a 281 mile, 5 and a quarter hour drive from Vegas to the North rim. 10 and a half hours seems to me like an awful lot of driving for one day.
I've been using Triptik to plan a few days of my upcoming visit so I did a quick check for you.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:02 AM

It could be done, but I wouldn't enjoy 10 hours of driving. You should experience an sunrise and sunset and allow some time for walks or hikes. Go to one park for at least a couple of days. Pick Zion or Grand Canyon and spend at least one night there. One night in Zion really isn't enough for it either. There is a ton to do there.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:47 PM

To cms0515,

Mid-May should be a great time to visit. If this is your first time to the Grand Canyon, then I'd suggest the S. Rim.

To staceyln,

As mentioned, it's 545 miles round trip from Las Vegas, to Zion, then the North Rim and back to Vegas. I know others have mentioned 10 hours driving time...that's the minimum driving time. If you get stuck behind an RV on the 42 miles of curvey road from Jacob Lake to the North Rim you can add a good hour to the drive and if you get stuck again behind one leaving..add another hour.

I would not try it. If you can't spend one night on the road, then just make a trip from Las Vegas to Zion for the day. You will be glad you did!

Utahtea