Vegas/Grand Canyon Itinerary help

Aug 20th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Vegas/Grand Canyon Itinerary help

My husband and I will be traveling with his parents to Vegas in October and are trying to determine how many days we need to stay. We want to see the sights on the strip, see a show and go to the Grand Canyon. How long is the drive to the Grand Canyon from Vegas and should we plan to stay overnight? As for the show, should we see Danny Gans or Blue Man Group?
Aug 20th, 2004, 12:31 PM

I can't help you with the show ideas (you might want to post on the Nevada site) but can tell you that I expect the ride from LV to the South Rim to be about 5 hours. We're going next weekend and all the posts on this site have indicated that it will take that long. If you want to stay overnight in the park, go to www.xanterra.com for reservations. Some would say going to the North Rim would be better but I'm not sure of the distance.
Aug 20th, 2004, 05:15 PM

My kids are 27 and 24 and we have seen Blue Man Group 3 times. I like it, but not like them. They LOVE it. It really is original and lots of fun! I hear Danny Gans is a wonderful show and maybe your parents would like him better. Blue Man is truly "performance art".
Aug 21st, 2004, 10:51 PM

It's about 5 hours to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. The North Rim is a little closer in miles but will take about the same time to drive or a little longer. The North Rim visitor services close on Oct. 14, 2004. We've been to the S. Rim in early October and the crowds have left and it's a great time to visit.

I highly recommend spending one night at the Grand Canyon. Watching the sunset is a really good show!

In early October you will only have about 12 hours of daylight. If you try to do the Grand Canyon in one day you will either only have an hour of two of daylight at the canyon or have to drive back in the dark.

Utahtea
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:39 AM

AmandaF
I've been to Las Vegas several times and I've found that after about two days, I'm done. Too crazy, too crowded, too expensive. My hubby feels that way after three days.

We recently did a trip with our children (13 and 11) flying into Las VEgas and driving to Grand Canyon, then Sedona and then back to Las Vegas for three days. Two days in Vegas probably would have been enough to see what we wanted to see. We walked up and down the strip and saw all the major hotels we wanted to see and had some nice meals along the way. If you can work it out, I'd do Vegas on a weekday. Less crowded and less expensive for hotels.

Also, one of the highlights for us was going to "old downtown" and seeing the "Freemont Street Experience". They've totally enclosed the street (overhead) and every hour above you they show this great lights and video show. Very cool. Also loved all the live music every block or so there.

I saw Blue Man Group on another trip and while it was entertaining, I wasn't blown away by it and was glad my boss had paid the $100 for the ticket and not me!

I would definately stay overnight in Grand Canyon. The canyon changes so much from sunrise to sunset with the lighting shifting and the colors changing. You'll want to have more than a couple of hours to spend there. Lots to see.
Aug 24th, 2004, 11:12 AM

I just got back from the exact same trip. Arrived in Vegas on Saturday morning and stayed for 5 nights. I truly felt that I did not see or do half of what I wanted to do. The strip was so crowded, the walks SOOOOOO long between hotels and then inside of them, that you are exhausted before you even get out onto the strip!

We left for the GC on Thursday AM and it took us 6 hours with a quick stop over the Hoover Dam, a breakfast stop in Kingman AZ and a gas/bathroom break in Williams. And this was doing close to 80 a lot of the time. A good portion of the drive is just desolate, with a little bit of nice scenery mixed in.

We spent 2 nights in the GC and also felt we didnt see everything we wanted. I would have liked one day just to visit the shops a liitle more, check out the El Tovar and just relax a little bit. We felt a little rushed. We did the sunset bus tour on Thursday night and the 4 hour East Rim bus tour on Friday. Some of our group did the mule ride and loved it.

Drove back to Vegas on Saturday and stopped in Williams for a quick stop, then Kingman again, just for fast food this time. We took the route back, not over the Hoover Dam, but through Searchlight. It was a tiny bit more scenic, but its still very dry and desolate.

As far as shows in Vegas, we saw Mama Mia and Thunder from Down Under. If you're traveling with parents, Danny Gans may be a little better choice. Blue Man Group is very LOUD. E mail if I can provide any more answers.

Aug 24th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Chicago Kris--
We leave for LV/GC/Bryce/Zion on Thursday afternoon. Hope you could answer a few questions about GC...

Was parking a real problem at GC? We are staying at the Kachina Lodge.

Do we need to worry about having 'nice' clothes at El Tovar and Arizona Room? Or are nice shorts/Dockers o.k.?

What was the Sunset bus tour? Using the shuttles? Was it worth it?

Thanks for any help you or others can give on this. Particularly appreciated the driving info.
Aug 24th, 2004, 03:29 PM

We just took the free shuttle bus to the Hopi Overlook. Many other overlooks will do, but this one is where most people end up. We got there early to get a good spot.

Here are some of the pictures we took last August. The first link is at sunset and the second link is during the day.

http://utahtea.lithium.com/vacation2...n%20sunset.htm

http://utahtea.lithium.com/Pictures/...d%20canyon.JPG

After sunset the shuttle buses make extra stops at Hopi Overlook to pick up people. You will have to wait a little while in line.

One year we watched the sunset from Pima Point after a thunderstorm.

Utahtea
Aug 24th, 2004, 03:47 PM

My brother and I took our mom on the same trip in May. We spent 4 days in Vegas and 2 days at GC. Took 5 hrs to GC. Arrived around 2pm. Took the shuttle bus rim tour, which lasted until about 6pm. You can get on/off when and where you want. The buses run every 20-30 min. Stayed at Bright Angel Lodge 1 night and got up early next AM for sunrise. Only got to hike about 1mile into canyon before we had to turn around. Left GC at 1pm and drove back to Vegas. Only regret, should have stayed another night at GC. We thought we'd be able to hike a little more than we did.
We're not big gamblers, so Vegas didn't impress. You can only visit so many hotels before you get tired/bored. There are day trips to Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon that you may want to look into. As for shows, we saw "O", and thought it was great. Friends are going in October and are seeing Danny Gans. Heard he's great.
Aug 24th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the info. And, Utahtea, thanks for the pictures. LOVE your website and the pictures have me even more excited for our trip. You are too young to be a grandmother...! Congrats.

Any feedback on what to wear to dinner at the lodges?
Aug 24th, 2004, 06:02 PM

We had dinner at El Tovar one night while at Grand Canyon. People were dressed in all kinds of outfits. Mostly nice khakis and golf shirt for the men and capris or skirts and nice top for women. Kids were in nicer shorts and tops. We did see one couple who were dressed really nicely, suit, tie, long shimmery dress and a fur stole. They were definately in the minority. You would feel comfortable in your dockers there for sure.

We got lucky with the parking issue. We were at the park by 10:30 am and got a spot in the El Tovar lot, so it wasn't a big hike to the Kachina at all. But you could see frustrated people just circling and circling hoping to find a spot. My advice would be to get there early, park, and then walk the rim trail or ride the shuttles around.