Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon Bright Angel Lodge Vs Yavapai Lodge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our trip will be primarily to Sedona Arizona where we will be staying at the Sedona Summit. At the end or beginning of the trip I would like to stay at the GC for a day or two. In late september is air conditioning necessary?

Which lodge do you recommend, Bright Angle or Yavapai ? Thank you.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 09:40 AM

AC is probably not necessary. The Grand Canyon south rim is at 7700 ft elevation.

Bright Angel is more rustic (and I mean that nicely) and closer to the rim. Becaus of it's location, it would be preferable to Yavapai. Make sure and make your reservations soon. The in-park lodgings can fill up a year in advance.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Bright Angle would be my choice, IF I could get a room with a bathroom, or one of the cabins (some of the rooms have shared baths). It is right on the rim and so closer to the views although many of the rooms don't have a view from them but open the door and take a couple of steps and WOW. Yavapai is back a bit, maybe a 5 or 10 minute walk to the rim. It is your basic NP motel type lodging, clean but basic, no frills. If you go to www.nps.gov and type Grand Canyon into the search box, you can get to the site for lodging and the map that shows where everything is. I've stayed at both of them and also Thunderbird and el Tovar, both of which I would also prefer over Yavapai, mostly for the location.